DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   My first beach wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/468395-my-first-beach-wedding.html)

Alexandru Cristescu November 25th, 2009 11:15 PM

My first beach wedding

Hello everybody. I've finally had my first beach wedding. Any feedback would be appreciated. Funny how after you finish the edit you wish you could go back and get more shots. Looks like its time for the pen & pad. Anyone else jot down certain ideas for shots. Anyways heres the video.

Stelios Christofides November 26th, 2009 09:12 AM

Alexandru, I enjoyed watching your video, the settings were beautiful and the music chosen was nice. The only comment I have, is that you have shown the couple kissing nine times!!! maybe you could cut back a bit on this. Not that is anything wrong showing couples kissing, but you could have shown some other people as well in the video, parents,brothers, sisters maybe. Other than that well done. Where is this place?

Stelios

Alexandru Cristescu November 26th, 2009 11:10 AM

LOL, yea I've noticed i tend to get a lot of "kissing shots". This was in Lake Tahoe.

Doug Bennett November 26th, 2009 11:41 AM

Very nicely done, some great shots. There seems to be a huge trend to concentrate on footage shot before or after the wedding celebration. This clip you have just a few seconds of the "event". All the rest is what would once have been called "establishing shots" and "b-roll". Is traditional event video (video of the event) a thing of the past?

Stephen J. Williams November 27th, 2009 12:37 PM

Alexandru

good video... I like the ring shots. How did the audio come out? I noticed it was a little windy.

I thought some of your handheld work didn't match the smooth tilts and pans.

Great work! Even though I never filmed a wedding on a beach. I think it would offer a little more obstacles then usual.

Steve

Alden Miller December 11th, 2009 02:14 AM

hey there-

I am actually doing a beach wedding this upcoming summer. I was curious if anyone ever was concerned about salty water/air getting on/in the camera. I figured if it was an issue, one could always put some rain gear on it.

Anyone deal with that/concerned about that?

Dimitris Mantalias December 11th, 2009 12:57 PM

Hi Alden

we've done shootings near water the last couple of years, some of them with us going into the sea (not that deep to put in danger the gear though) and the wind was blowing and the sand was travelling around. Still, we had no problem but that doesn't mean something bad can't happen. For our FX1s we had bought back in 2006, some protective plastic cases that were designed especially for our camcorders. They can protect you from sand and rain (that one was always useful) and their ergonomics allow you to have control of your camera. I don't remember where we bought them but there are surely out there.

Marty Welk December 11th, 2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Bennett (Post 1452587)
Very nicely done, some great shots. There seems to be a huge trend to concentrate on footage shot before or after the wedding celebration. This clip you have just a few seconds of the "event". All the rest is what would once have been called "establishing shots" and "b-roll". Is traditional event video (video of the event) a thing of the past?

people here wonder the same thing, glad someone brought it up.
used to be my "Demo" was the "cerimony" and the Gawd awful problems they often present of horrid lighting (like cathlic halo lighting) Horrible backlight issues, bad darkness, and setting up $$$$thousands in audio all perfect to have a 40MPH wind or some human destroying 2 of 4 of the channels.

Wheres the Tough Honery parts from hell that seem to come with every wedding that isnt CONTROLLED by the techs?

now all of the AWESOME videos i am seeing of "event" stuff looks like a FILM production, and they are great film productions, dont get me wrong.
i am looking into buying into the "new" cameras, and i want to (also) see how the cameras (and camera persons) handle the Hard parts.

and i dont want to see 20 more minutes of SLo-Mo either :-) it ALSO looks awesome and makes great highlights with nice music, but if i see anymore i am gonna barf :-)

Don Bloom December 11th, 2009 05:55 PM

Years ago all we really concentrated on was the ceremony/reception. Today it's the pre/post ceremony stuff. Obviously one can get creative with it as we have seen the last few years and lets face it. A ceremony is a ceremony, there isn't much you're going to do with it. It is still (in most cases) a religious ceremony so IMO you clean it up, correct color, exposure, sweeten the audio and let it be, but use some of it for the trailer, highlight or whatever you do to tell the story in 3 to 6 minutes.
I love short form and DO cut my ceremonies, but it does run in lineal real time while other creative parts may or may not.
Some brides like tea, some like coffee.
Pays your money, takes your choice.

Marty Welk December 11th, 2009 06:23 PM

but if i demo a beautifull Film, sell them on prime footage, then the cerimony looks "normal" even after extensive effort, and multicamera and all. are the customers going to wonder why the most important part of the whole thing culminates worse then the lead up?

the ol' what i bought aint what i got.

Don Bloom December 11th, 2009 08:11 PM

I don't think so. If they see a "demo" and it's a steadicam color graded slow motioned highlight then they might very possibly expect the whole thing to be like that OR they might ask you something like, "is my whole wedding going to look like that"? (one would hope they'd ask)
Let's face it. Those creative portions are NOT the whole wedding but a part of it so show the client a whole wedding. It's got chapters and the remote has a fast forward button so it shouldn't take long to get thru it. This way the client can get a real handle on what their finished product is going to look like and see that the ceremony while cleanly done and color corrected etc, is not going to look the same as the prep or post ceremony time or highlight and IMO it shouldn't. One is editorial and one is creative. Same animal 2 different skins.