My first music video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM  
My first music video
Glen Elliott Glen Elliott is offline December 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM

Hi everyone, I know this is a bit OT for this board but I wanted to share it with my fellow wedding/event people. I'm excited to have just finished my first music video. As many of you probably know my work primarily involves wedding/events and occasionally commercial and corporate work.

At my own wedding this past February I ran into my cousin whom I haven’t seen in many years. Growing up I remember her always being involved with music with a particular affinity for piano. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that she’s now a Contemporary Christian artist who just published her first album- available on iTunes and CDbaby (re: Caitlin Jane).

After I got a chance to actually listen to her album I was blown away. It sounded great, and she is extremely talented! We touched base after the wedding and threw some ideas around and decided to produce a music video for one of her newer songs entitled “Unborn”.

The song tackles the issue of teen pregnancy and abortion in loving, non-aggressive way. I was thrilled to be starting such a cool project and, as a Christian myself, to be part of something sending such a poignant message.

Thank you all for taking the time to watch.

__________________
Glen Elliott
Cord 3 Films

Glen Elliott
Wrangler
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,898
Views: 2952
Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #16
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris Mantalias View Post
I think that after my objections on the use of DSLRs for events and other stuff, I will say that I was -somewhat- wrong and I will buy a couple of 7Ds in the very near future. Because we too are thinking to experiment with music videos and were thinking between a DSLR or EX1. I think the Canon offerings win in some important departments.

Also, I shouldn't forgot to mention that your cousin is a very talented musician. Congratulations to her also, I will surely check her Itunes page after this one.
Ironically enough I'm not totally sold on the use of DSLRs for event video. There is more difficulty in shooting and in post (relating to audio) and transcoding etc. It would be worth it if you could charge an extreme premium for it like a DSLR package which are priced higher than your slough of existing packages. However I'm not convinced most enough clients can be "sold" on the difference. Granted I see it- night and day. However I always go back to my wife's perspective. She isn't a videophile and is, well, a woman which is the majority of our audience for weddings. The story-telling and ability to both convey and evoke emotion are most paramount. I find that I have plenty of more growth to do in regards to structuring the feature itself in regards to time-shifting, vo's, timing, use of audio etc. In other words there is enough to keep me busy rather than struggling with keeping subjects in focus during the precessional.

On top of that is the issue of audio. I just shot a DSLR wedding with a friend recently and I brought along my R44 which we connected to the band and got a pristine feed. I was just notified from him today that the audio drifts. This is even with the 23.97 content coming out of the 7Ds....which supposedly shouldn't happen. To me I would NEED more compensation to produce live events with these cams for the aforementioned reasons and several other not even mentioned. Many people are, however, and doing so quite well, and more power to them. Maybe one day I'll change my mind but- having an effective 16mm-600mm zoom lens and monitored onboard audio helps free up my mind to work creatively, and quickly during event shoots which require both.

Granted this is not a popular viewpoint and is sort of ironic considering it's in a post showing some work that I shot with DSLRs. However at this point, for me, I feel DSLRs are better suited for commercial/corporate work. I couldn't imagine shooting this music video with my A1s!

PS I don't think HDV is totally dead. I just shot a wedding in St. Thomas recently with my Canon XH-A1s and was very happy with the image quality it was producing:




__________________
Glen Elliott
Cord 3 Films
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #17
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Great stuff, Glen. Especially loved the change in color grading between scenes to reflect the different moods.

Dimitris, you might want to research the 7D more. Quite a lot of people are expressing dissatisfaction on the 7D versus the 5D for certain issues; overheating (seems to be the top concern), image sharpness, low-light performance, overall image quality, cropped sensor. I heard that Canon is coming out with a 24p update for the 5D, which could make it a no-brainer for some people.
Hey Travis, thanks again man!

Regarding your 7D comments- the overheating issue has me worried as well. Granted there isn't many times where I'm in direct sunlight and high heat for long periods of time (I'm on the east coast)- the fact that it's a possibility scares me.

However owning two copies of both cameras (7D and 5D) at different times I can honestly say that I like the 5D better. Marginally better image quality, and my lens choices are suited for full frame. The 7D isn't a slouch though- 60p is ultra-cool and it's comparatively inexpensive b-roll cam. I recently sold one of my 7Ds and picked back up a 5DmkII. So now I'm back to one of each.
__________________
Glen Elliott
Cord 3 Films
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #18
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris Mantalias View Post
You're right about all that Travis. I've done a bit of a research on those Canon models and I am aware about the problems, the most important being the overheating one. I still don't get it how Canon put on sale a camera with such a problem. Regarding low light, although inferior to 5D, it surely will be vastly superior to my FX1s. The advantages I see on buying 7D instead of 5D are
a) price difference, especially if you go for more than one
b) already own some lens that are compatible with the 7D
c) 50p is an excellent option if you use slow motion in your videos (we like it, though some would say it's out of fashion :) )

We're still thinking about it. But I won't lie, main reason is the price of 5D.
Indeed the 7D will smoke the FX1 and any other HDV camera for that matter. The biggest difficulty is getting wide on the 7D. They have ultra-wide lenses made to work with APS-C sensor but they are all lower-grade glass. Yes I'm an L-snob. ;) (thus the very reason my lens collection is small).

If you can swing it I'd say get one of each. That way you'll have one (7D) for slow motion, and that extra boost on the long end, and another (5D) for your wides, low light, and lead camera for edge in IQ.
__________________
Glen Elliott
Cord 3 Films
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #19
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Arta, Greece
Posts: 342
Thanks for the insight Glen. Actually I agree that we are not abandoning my HDVs yet, after all, we've go through so many adventures together! :) If you add the fact that we are living in a country where temperatures might reach 40-45 C during summer (yep, it's a tough job), the problem is more than serious. What we think is to use the DSLRs for the more "artsy" stuff that will go to the appropriate videos (I mean the B&G preparation, photoshoot and a special ceremony use as a third cam, where the shooter will go for the more artistic angles inside the church). I am not feeling enough safety to go full coverage with the DSLRs yet. But for controlled projects like music and corporate videos I've got no second thoughts.

Sorry we went off-topic! :)
__________________
"A successful wedding videographer is the one that offers for viewing some excellent videos and some boring videos, and gets positive reviews for both".
Dimitris Mantalias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #20
AVPA
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 373
what a beautiful piece Glen...I've always followed your wedding work so it's a pleasure to see your first music video
__________________
Preface Films - The Boss www.prefacefilms.com.au
EDU www.exposeddownunder.com.au
Rochelle Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:46 AM   #21
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Karachi, Pakistan
Posts: 210
Glenn, what a marvellous video. Even though us professionals tend to watch out for and notice the logistic aspects of making a video like lighting, camera work, editing, etc. This particular piece just takes one's hand and leads them deep into the story itself. I forgot that I clicked on this video to look at technical aspects and only after the video had ended realised I didn't see any of those things! And THAT, my friend, is what we all strive for. To get sucked into the story with such intensity that you forget everything else. The video weaves itself so tightly with the song, its message, and its general feel that they seem as one. Beautiful.

May I congratulate you and your cousin for this song and its video. It transcends all boundaries, faiths, cultures, and traditions.

Please grace us with more of such inspiring work.

- Ali
__________________
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit // i7 2600K // 16GB RAM // ASUS P8P67 Board // NVIDIA GTX 470
Sony Vegas Pro 13 // Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014 // http://vimeo.com/alijafri
Ali Jafri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #22
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris Mantalias View Post
Thanks for the insight Glen. Actually I agree that we are not abandoning my HDVs yet, after all, we've go through so many adventures together! :) If you add the fact that we are living in a country where temperatures might reach 40-45 C during summer (yep, it's a tough job), the problem is more than serious. What we think is to use the DSLRs for the more "artsy" stuff that will go to the appropriate videos (I mean the B&G preparation, photoshoot and a special ceremony use as a third cam, where the shooter will go for the more artistic angles inside the church). I am not feeling enough safety to go full coverage with the DSLRs yet. But for controlled projects like music and corporate videos I've got no second thoughts.

Sorry we went off-topic! :)
No such thing as "off-topic" so long as it's video related! :)

PS I was originally going to bring the 7Ds to shoot the wedding in St. Thomas. I'm sooooo glad I didn't it was 80-90f there with super high humidity!
__________________
Glen Elliott
Cord 3 Films
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #23
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochelle Morris View Post
what a beautiful piece Glen...I've always followed your wedding work so it's a pleasure to see your first music video

Hey Rochelle, thank you very much!
__________________
Glen Elliott
Cord 3 Films
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #24
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Jafri View Post
Glenn, what a marvellous video. Even though us professionals tend to watch out for and notice the logistic aspects of making a video like lighting, camera work, editing, etc. This particular piece just takes one's hand and leads them deep into the story itself. I forgot that I clicked on this video to look at technical aspects and only after the video had ended realised I didn't see any of those things! And THAT, my friend, is what we all strive for. To get sucked into the story with such intensity that you forget everything else. The video weaves itself so tightly with the song, its message, and its general feel that they seem as one. Beautiful.

May I congratulate you and your cousin for this song and its video. It transcends all boundaries, faiths, cultures, and traditions.

Please grace us with more of such inspiring work.

- Ali
Awesome, that's great man- I totally agree, thank you!
__________________
Glen Elliott
Cord 3 Films
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #25
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Fe, N.M.
Posts: 55
Beautiful work Glen! You were a bit self critical about your grading abilities over on another thread, but I think the coloring in this one is terrific (along with the lighting). Mind if I ask which MB Look you used?
John J. Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #26
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,898
I used two looks for the entire piece, but varied the internal settings and opacity of each:
1. Coolish Alternative and 2. Blockbuster
__________________
Glen Elliott
Cord 3 Films
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #27
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Guarda, Portugal
Posts: 119
Great work Glen.
I always LOVE when a wedding videographer comes up with something like this.
Absolutely nothing to point.

L.R.
Luis Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #28
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Regarding your 7D comments- the overheating issue has me worried as well. Granted there isn't many times where I'm in direct sunlight and high heat for long periods of time (I'm on the east coast)- the fact that it's a possibility scares me.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I recall reading a post somewhere where someone had issues with their 7D overheating INSIDE a reception hall. This might not be the norm, but it would sure worry me for shooting anything outside in the sun.

By the way, you're spot on with the VDSLR comments. So many people are quick to jump into the newest technology, but most have yet to master the finer art of story-telling via video. I'm not knocking anyone for adopting the new technology, but I definitely agree with what you said. It's easy to get distracted by technology sometimes.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM   #29
Still Motion
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,186
killer stuff glen. loved the vibrancy, lighting, and the especially the color from the blueish tones in the bathroom to the warmer tones at the end.

P.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM   #30
Still Motion
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Indeed the 7D will smoke the FX1 and any other HDV camera for that matter. The biggest difficulty is getting wide on the 7D. They have ultra-wide lenses made to work with APS-C sensor but they are all lower-grade glass. Yes I'm an L-snob. ;) (thus the very reason my lens collection is small).

If you can swing it I'd say get one of each. That way you'll have one (7D) for slow motion, and that extra boost on the long end, and another (5D) for your wides, low light, and lead camera for edge in IQ.
the 7d with the 14mm rectilinear is super solid. i dont know what all this fuss is about over the 7ds - we use and abuse these suckers and have had no issues.

P.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network