"A Day in the Life with the Byrd Family" | Serendipity Studios at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old December 17th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #1
"A Day in the Life with the Byrd Family" | Serendipity Studios
Travis Cossel Travis Cossel is offline December 17th, 2009, 03:29 PM

We spent an afternoon shooting with Bryan and Jenni and their two very active sons .. Calvin and Drew. Shooting a pair of rambunctious boys is quite a challenge, but we captured some awesome footage. We also had a great interview with the mother. All of this combined in post for what we feel is a remarkable representation of the identity of this family.

We just previewed the video for the mother on the big screen in our theater and she was in tears within seconds. I really love my job sometimes!

Anyways, I hope you enjoy watching something a little different. d;-)

Travis Cossel
Inner Circle
Views: 1548
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nice clip! Loved the steadicam work!
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Nice job Travis and great execution. What a great idea and precious memento for them to have.

Cheers,

MB
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Loved it, and I only had one problem with it... I kept wanting to see the mom talk as she was being interviews.. .maybe a few cuts to her for a 2-3 seconds each or less even would have helped. When she was smiling saying something about the boys, or other reaction to her words.
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Eugene and Matt!

Louis, I understand where you're coming from. It is common practice to reveal the individual being interviewed at some point.

However, for us and for this piece, we didn't want to do that. We wanted this to be a visual experience. We wanted the interview audio to drive the progression of the visuals. It was not our goal to create an 'interview' piece, if that makes sense. We did still 'reveal' the mother in one of the early shots, and we felt this was a more subtle method for showing who was talking.

In the end it was a creative choice for us based on what we thought would have the most impact on the family. Obviously you don't know the mother, so you have that desire to see her onscreen talking. But the family knows their mother, so it's not necessary for them to see her talking. Instead, it's more powerful for them to hear her words and see their family in action. This was the motivation behind our creative direction.

A nice side benefit from this creative choice was that we captured some really special content from the interview session. The mother was very comfortable talking to us because she knew she wasn't on camera. Being on camera can make people tighten up and over-think things, and this allowed us to just have a chat with the mother. It was wonderful.

Anyways, thanks for the comments and hopefully my explanation of our creative decision made some sense. d;-)
Old December 18th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #6
Major Player

nice i am glad i watched it.
now i toss in a comment that is JUST a comment from MY perspective (not meant to hack on your work) the color looks strange on my monitor, it was as if there was this orange filter mushing up the picture the whole time, very perfectally consistant, but not color i like.
Old December 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Marty, thanks for watching! I wish I could comment more on the color grading but I'm not quite sure what it looks like on your computer. We did slant the footage more towards a warm look, since it was an overcast fall day and we didn't want the video to feel cool or cold.
Old December 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #8
Trustee

I also noticed the orange / warn tint, possibly because I have noticed your tendency to color grade in post.

However, the emotional content of the piece eventually overpowered my observation of the grading, which means the story progressed and held my attention well.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Yeah, we've developed a bit of a signature color look that we implement on both the cinematography and photography side. You'll notice even the still images matched the video. It's always been a pet peeve of mine when I see a videographer combine a photographer's stills into a video and the two mediums don't match up ... especially when the color work on the stills makes the video look bad. d;-)

Anyways, thanks for the comments. Our color look isn't for everyone, but our clients sure seem to love it .. and for me, that's what matters.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:00 PM   #10
Still Motion

travis,

i thought it was a super clean clip, i thought the color was especially stand out for me and emotionally was very connected to the piece, and i agree about your integration of the stills and their toning. bravo as well for finding a new niche with this one and hopefully many more to come. you keep doing them like this and you will need to chare more than a wedding.

P.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 02:43 AM   #11
Inner Circle

P, thanks for checking it out and commenting. This was a concept I had been wanting to shoot for more than a year now, and we finally got around to doing one. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm especially glad you liked how the stills were incorporated. That's something I've been experimenting with a lot lately.

To be honest, I walked away from the shoot a bit scared. I had no idea if I had enough usable footage. The two boys wanted nothing to do with each other, and weren't really interested in interacting with mom and dad either. Not to mention I'm not used to shooting kids that never stop moving. d;-)
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:02 PM   #12
Major Player

Travis, nice clip!
Funny thing, one of my Russian colleagues emailed me the link a few days ago,
really enjoyed it, after all filming family happiness can be heart warming a very rewarding
experience!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Thanks, Oleg! It was a lot fun to piece it all together. d;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery