DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Taras&Nadegda mixed docu excerpts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/469941-taras-nadegda-mixed-docu-excerpts.html)

Oleg Kalyan December 23rd, 2009 06:37 PM

Taras&Nadegda mixed docu excerpts

Hope you don't mind me sharing another docu piece, this time around it has more of a style delivery,
still pretty much all handheld, no stedicam, sliders, glides, all available light.
possibly more done in editing, compared to my other recent piece,
let me know what you think, which one you think has more life!

CHeers!

Luis Rolo December 25th, 2009 09:19 AM

Hi Oleg.

I really enjoy your documentary style. It feels authentic.
I also loved the editing.

But I got some things to tell you.

First one is the excessive sharpness. I think the clients will probably enjoy it, but for me it's a little too much.

Second is color matching in some shots. Did you use two cameras? Some shots seems from another camera, more saturated and with more yellow (maybe from an HDV?).

Third is about the sound. At 2:23 there is a rough cut in the audio, switching from a clean audio source to one with too much hiss.
Maybe you could clean the audio a little bit or at least cross-fade the audio so it wouldn't be so perceptible.
If even like that it's not good, some music right behind the audio transition would at least disguise it.

Fourth and last, fast pans with progressive footage gives too much ghosting, and with the 5D you have that jello effect.

Of course this is nitpicking, but I think this was what you want when you ask for opinions.

Compared with the other video, I enjoyed this one most.

Keep on with your fantastic work.

L.R.

Travis Cossel December 26th, 2009 03:21 PM

I really enjoy the tempo and pace you bring with your editing. You're just so creative with the editing and it never feels like you're just throwing tricks out there. It always fits and flows so well. Your style is very different, and I just enjoy watching it progress. Nice work!

As far as critique, I always feel like the coloring in your edits could use some work. I know Luis mentioned that sometimes color matching between shots is off, but for me it's a bit more. I feel like much of the footage is almost too 'real' looking, if that makes sense. I'd love to see your work with some emphasis on color grading (not just correction). I'd love to see you start using color to enhance the mood of your edits. I really think it would make your work even stronger, especially if you developed a color grade style that matched the energy of your editing style.

The audio in this piece was definitely 'hissing' at times, so you might want to see if you can find a way to eliminate that. Sometimes we're stuck in a situation where we can't get better audio, but sometimes we can. Anyways, just a thought.

Last thing was that near the beginning of the video, when they are bringing in the veil and you're fading between shots ... there is a shot where you pan the camera from left to right a bit to adjust your composition. It breaks the flow because the movement is corrective and not creative. I would have cut that shot so that you don't see the movement, or use a different shot. You don't usually want to use a shot where you're making a correction.

Anyways, loved the energy in your editing and I hope the critique is useful. Thanks for sharing!