DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Shane & Stacy's Cinematic Feature | Serendipity Studios (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/471631-shane-stacys-cinematic-feature-serendipity-studios.html)

Travis Cossel January 24th, 2010 10:20 PM

Shane & Stacy's Cinematic Feature | Serendipity Studios

As promised, we're sharing our latest cinematic feature .. just finished this past week. Enjoy!

Kren Barnes January 24th, 2010 10:52 PM

Thanks for sharing Travis! That was amazing ! YOu rock buddy !

Jim Schuchmann January 25th, 2010 03:23 PM

Fantastic work Travis! Be proud my man.

Stephen J. Williams January 25th, 2010 03:35 PM

Well done Travis... I take the same approach in my videos as well (not as good though).
How do you keep the Bride and Groom not asking for more? I've had several instances where i've created a fast paced/action packed video that is great in my eyes. Only to have the Bride ruin (maybe there's a better choice of words) it after she added in her input of more this and more that...

Either way, yours looked great.... Thanks for sharing with us.

Steve

Travis Cossel January 26th, 2010 01:01 AM

Thanks for watching, guys.

Stephen, you have a very valid concern. I think there are a number of reasons why we haven't had a single couple ask for changes or end up dissatisfied with our product.

First, we show them exactly what they are going to receive (in terms of content, organization, style, etc.) before they ever book us. I know some people book couples off of demo reels, but that's not our approach. We like to make sure they see the real thing in advance. Even if a couple calls and wants to book, we encourage them to come in to the studio so we can show them everything we do.

Second, any of the few times I've been asked during a consultation if the couple is able to make changes afterwards .. I'm very up front and state that we go to extra lengths to create artwork that is as perfect as we can make it. Any changes will require additional fees.

Third, we price ourselves at the high end of the market. I mean no disrespect to those competing on the low end, but in our experience the higher prices draw a less demanding and more trusting type of couple. On the lower end, couples are always so focused on the money that they lose sight of what really matters, which is the quality of the finished product .. not the quantity. They also are so focused on the money that afterwards they really have this sense of motivation to make sure they got their money's worth. It may seem odd, but this has been less and less the case the higher our prices have gotten (I will say it's also a lot harder to sell the higher end product .. you have to be prepared for plenty of rejection based on your pricing).

Fourth, most of our couples pick a package that includes documentary edits of all the major events (such as the ceremony, toasts, first dance, etc.). Most of our couples also receive deleted scenes. So in addition to a cinematic feature, they receive plenty of additional production to watch. We do have a package for just the cinematic feature, but it's unpopular since so many couples do want the documentary edits as well.

Fifth, and maybe even most importantly ... we are perfectionists. We go the extra mile to make sure the final production of anything that goes on the DVD is as perfect as we can make it. Your first impression is everything, and if the couple is able to watch it all and not see mistakes or poor editing decisions, then they are very likely to just love it.

Anyways, that's how we approach things. I hope I was helpful. d;-)

Dimitris Mantalias January 26th, 2010 05:58 AM

That was really excellent Travis. I want to try the cinematic feature soon, and the particular video offered me some ideas on some points that were unclear in my mind. Thanks for sharing!

Vito DeFilippo January 26th, 2010 08:24 AM

Hey Travis, that was nice!

Considering the thread raging on about the word 'cinematographer', I was curious what you mean when you say this is a "cinematic feature". My reaction on watching it is that it feels like an expanded movie trailer. Is that the feel you're looking for?

Really nice coverage of the ceremony. Good audio that really lets us feel the emotion of the moment. Even the officiant looked like he was choking up.

I'm not a big fan of cutting in an out of the steadicam shots, but I know you do that on purpose, so that's subjective.

Caught a bit of you in the mirror! Finally see you in action, for a second anyway.

Anyway, a pleasure to watch. More of your usual excellent work. Thanks for posting.

John J. Arnold January 26th, 2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 1477320)
Thanks for watching, guys.

Fourth, most of our couples pick a package that includes documentary edits of all the major events (such as the ceremony, toasts, first dance, etc.). Most of our couples also receive deleted scenes. So in addition to a cinematic feature, they receive plenty of additional production to watch. We do have a package for just the cinematic feature, but it's unpopular since so many couples do want the documentary edits as well.

Hey Travis, what's a "documentary edit" for you? Is it essentially raw footage, with the unusable stuff cut out, or are you sequencing shots to music etc?

Travis Cossel January 26th, 2010 12:28 PM

Dimitris
Thanks for watching and for the comments! Glad you got some ideas too.

Vito
We call these 'cinematic features' because this is the feature element on the DVD and we try to make it as cinematic as possible. Our goal is to create something that captures the feelings and emotions and story of the day, without feeling 'documentary'. This is why you'll notice we use natural audio, but we use it very carefully and specifically .. and somewhat sparingly. We also go to great pains to try and make the music fit the visuals in a seamless way throughout the film.

Thanks for the comments, Vito!

John
A 'documentary' edit for us is still a full production (NOT raw footage). So for example, the documentary edit of the ceremony is the full ceremony .. cut between multiple cameras .. with audio enhancement .. color grading .. etc. We don't view these as lesser products on the DVD, just 'different' products. So quality is still our top priority.

Deleted scenes is the only product we include on a DVD that is essentially raw footage. We purposely do not color correct this footage or cut it creatively. We WANT it to look like deleted scenes and really stand apart from everything else on the DVD. The one enhancement we do make is that we will adjust the audio so that all the levels are normal for the scenes.