DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Please review and let me hear your critiques... :O) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/474698-please-review-let-me-hear-your-critiques-o.html)

Darrick Vanderwier March 12th, 2010 09:02 PM

Please review and let me hear your critiques... :O)

Go on... I have thick enough skin and I really want to improve... Say it nicely or just say it the way it first comes to your mind as you watch through it. what did you like what didn't you?
How can I improve on the next one?
A big thanks in advance guys!
I wish I had read through this forum BEFORE I started shooting these....
I have already learned so much from you all. Now just to put it in practice on the big day.
:o)

Kyle Ehrenreich March 12th, 2010 09:27 PM

I enjoyed the video...some scenes seemed long though. There could be some color grading to brighten up the colors. It was a little gray, but the weather helped with that.

You may want to lower the music and place in the vows and some of the other speaking segments.

It was a nice touch to have the bride synced to the music near the end of the piece.

Keep it up, we only get better with time, work effort and learning from our past.

Marty Welk March 12th, 2010 11:34 PM

first shot, why not tripod? did you start out with the bouncey too long shot of a street sign so i would think the rest of it was much better :-) cause it was.
geesh why did you shoot them 2 People so MUCH? wasnt there enough other things to cinamatically shoot to completely ignore the 2 main subjects :-)

limo shot was to long, because it didnt show nothing usefull, 2 other shots are to long (for a highlights) , but overall i Liked the fact that this looks like a wedding ??? whats wrong with you :-)

spots on the lens, were you not prepared for rain? or sun reflections?
reception, there is a trick you can do to overshoot your main subject with your light, and send the light further out. so the subjects CLose to you get a little side light , enough to light them, and the rest of the light Shoots way back. put the close stuff in the ambient spill, and the spotty light parts get the distance.

color looks realisitic, very clean picture, worked well on the web, needs short title.
if i wrote all the other things that i liked it would be something like. Good camera work, some nice locations, good angles, you showed what is happening, didnt overuse the Out of focus STUFF, dissolves look nice, the time shortening on the aisle down worked, and all that other stuff.
20 years from now they could look back at Just that highlights tape, and remember what THEY did all over again, good stuff. (so they forget about you :-)

Darrick Vanderwier March 13th, 2010 09:14 AM

Marty first off thanks for the helpful review. I truly appreciate it. You mentioned a lighting trick... How do I do this with my on camera light that is stationary? ie it has no swivel of hight adjustment... Do you change the throw by simple shot composition so you never have the light hitting the subject you are shooting???
I had a few more creative abstract shots of decorations flowers etc but I already used many of them in the ceremony intro clip as well as the reception intro clip. I make a leadup to the ceremony and reception with instrumental music to cover all the establishing "stuff" and then do a more straightforward edit of the actual ceremony and reception. Documentary style.
I have begun to rethink how I shoot and what I offer for a final dvd.
Thanks to both of you for the help. MUCH appreciated.

Darrick Vanderwier March 13th, 2010 09:27 AM

You may want to lower the music and place in the vows and some of the other speaking segments.

I have just started using Lapel mics for the weddings I am shooting now... This one I did not have them and the audio is not nearly as clean as I would have liked it for addition to a highlights.... will definately do it in the future!

Marty Welk March 13th, 2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrick Vanderwier (Post 1499101)
... How do I do this with my on camera light that is stationary? ie it has no swivel of hight adjustment... Do you change the throw by simple shot composition so you never have the light hitting the subject you are shooting???.

No swivel? make one :-) cut the shoe off put swivel in, resolidify shoe on swivel. buy a real light , they hang around for a long time, good investment.
There are many ways to do it, slam the roof with the spot part , the ambient hits the close subject, have assistant hold light for a while, raise light a bit by raising camera.
Whatever , the main thing is what i said, when your out there and you get that, try and get ambient spill out of the light hitting the close stuff, and spot hitting the far stuff. another way might be very lightweight difussion on the whole thing, it will "even it up" instead of looking like a flashlight. with on cam lights you cant diffuse to much or you wont have any light at all, and some light is better than none, the lightests difussion you can stuff in front of it is enough to diffuse, also makes people your Blasting in the eyes with it happier.
or Buy ONE powerfull AC stand light and stick it in a corner somewhere to raise total ambient? anything but the CAVE look.
Nobody there saw things like that, leave it to a Camera to have to have "special needs" :-)