DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   My FIRST wedding day trailer - your opinion please :) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/476430-my-first-wedding-day-trailer-your-opinion-please.html)

Johannes Soetandi April 7th, 2010 09:03 PM

My FIRST wedding day trailer - your opinion please :)

Hi all!

This is my first wedding day coverage. We used Canon 550D and 7D (although 90% of the footages here are 7D) and some budget/DIY rigs. I learnt a lot of precious lessons and hope to improve in my next wedding day coverage.

But please, from your perspective, can you please give me a feedback? Would really appreciate your comment! :)

Cheers,

John

Susanto Widjaja April 8th, 2010 06:22 AM

definitely a great start!

for your first wedding trailer, this thing is a gem. You'll go very far indeed :)

Some comments about it though:

- too many handheld feel in the shots
- saw operator reflection on the mirror shot
- some shots are quiet staged feel. probably because of editing as well.
- some shots are blown out/overexposed
- prep shots are a bit draggy or too long. wanting to carry on to a different part of the day

But then again, for your first one, beautifully done :)

Santo

Noa Put April 8th, 2010 07:05 AM

Your first wedding AND you used a 550D and 7D kit only?? You must be as fearless as Chuck Norris. :)

I know it's easy to criticize but hope you know I mean well and just want to give you my point of view but then again, who am I? :)

In general I can see that you have got the creativity to make a great wedding movie but you are missing the right tools to take it to the next level.

You said you used some diy tools but you have to be careful with that, f.i. the shot at 01:30 towards the weddingdress, if you want that to look good, you need some kind of merlin steadicam as that was really shaky.

I also saw you had a slider but I think you should have used that a bit more for some detail shots.

The first thing I noticed was that the whitebalance of one of your cameras was way of and those images were also overexposed. Especially because you combined images from 2 camera's it became quite noticeable.

I also saw some shots that were out of focus, in SD you can get away with that but not in HD, also some shots had focus shifting from front to back and back to front again which to me is distracting.

What I also missed is images "popping" of the screen, I have seen quite some 5d and 7d footage with really nice bright colors and beside of the shallow dof that I think is also one of the trademarks of a dslr.

The reason why i was surprised that you used dslr's on your first wedding is that these camera's are very unforgiving if can't control every important aspect (like focus, whitebalance, exposure) exactly right. Every small mistake you make will be enlarged on a hd screen for sure. In that aspect I would rather depend on a "real" videocamera for the important stuff and a dslr for the fancy stuff.

Johannes Soetandi April 8th, 2010 10:36 AM

@Santo:
It's great to have one of the leading videographers in Oz to comment on my video. Appreciate your comments and compliments! :)

I think I depended a lot on my monopod that day.. I wasn't very keen on using my tripod as it's an el-cheapo model.. but I'll definitely try to have more steady footage in my next wedding shot.

I was shocked myself when I saw some overexposed footages after transferring to my laptop! I thought it looked nice on my DSLR screen but I was wrong. It's a lesson learnt.

Thanks for the editing tips as well, all points taken! :)

@Noa Put:
Well, not quite a Chuck Norris :P

I actually hired a handheld camera Sony A1P as a backup wide angle camera that day (was on a very low budget). But I decided not to use the footages here as the picture quality was just smashed by the DSLRs. But I agree with you, I might use a Z1P for important scenes as I found lots of risks on depending with DSLRS (it overheats several times during the day.. acckk!!)

Yeah I needed to invest on my rigs. But my $$$ isn't allowing me to do so at the moment. But I guess the minimum is to have a good tripod before going onto Merlin etc. I am saving and looking around at the moment. :)

Resham Singh April 10th, 2010 09:13 AM

you've got some balls to go out with this kit for your first wedding.....alls been said about the issues that we noticed but we have a trained eye ,you customers maybe more forgiving and thats what counts as its your first gig.....i will be doing my second wedding with a canon 550D, only when my sony HVR-Z5 is on a tripod.........i will always stick with a camera that is designed for event videography..........excellent focus control are so important for a pro looking film that you have to fore go the lure of shallow dop.