DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Alana and Mark | 6 days of silence | highlights (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/476851-alana-mark-6-days-silence-highlights.html)

Matt Barwick April 15th, 2010 03:58 AM

Alana and Mark | 6 days of silence | highlights

A 5 minute highlights to share...the ceremony was shot on the beach in Byron Bay about a month ago - a pretty windy, overcast day but beautiful light of course. I've tried to make the most of a great speech by the groom to narrate the piece.

Would love to hear any comments or critiques - good, bad or indifferent.

Cheers,

MB.

P.S. excuse the buzz/distortion at the end of the clip. Not sure what that's about - it's not present in the source file (!?)

Richard Wakefield April 15th, 2010 04:23 AM

what a wedding, what a couple, and what a FANTASTIC intro! such a superb way to bring us into the story/day, and to connect with the couple.

couple of minor sound-mixing and white balance issues, but i'll only go into that if you want!

Matt Barwick April 15th, 2010 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield (Post 1514550)
what a wedding, what a couple, and what a FANTASTIC intro! such a superb way to bring us into the story/day, and to connect with the couple.

couple of minor sound-mixing and white balance issues, but i'll only go into that if you want!

Hey Richard - thanks for your comments. I'm really happy with the way this one's structured.

Would appreciate your thoughts re: audio mixing and WB if you have a chance.

Cheers,

MB.

Andrew Smith April 15th, 2010 05:34 AM

Kinda freaky how she makes her vows 'by the sun, moon, stars' etc. Not what I would have expected at a wedding.

Andrew

Richard Wakefield April 15th, 2010 06:01 AM

cool then - ok, well after the song kicks in and you've dropped the audio, it's just too hard to hear the groom/ushers. it's a real shame! the song is just too vocal+busy at that stage! maybe subtitles ;) maybe it's just me!

and there were a couple of shots that looked a little like the white balance was a bit off?e.g. close-up of white pages...

like i said, minor details!

Matt Barwick April 15th, 2010 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield (Post 1514576)
cool then - ok, well after the song kicks in and you've dropped the audio, it's just too hard to hear the groom/ushers. it's a real shame! the song is just too vocal+busy at that stage! maybe subtitles ;) maybe it's just me!

Thanks Richard and yep - agreed on that dialogue. I did debate whether or not to leave the nat. sound in and to be honest really didn't feel 100% comfortable lowering the track that early on so I might re-consider that section.

Thanks again.

edit - updated version being uploaded

Susanto Widjaja April 15th, 2010 05:54 PM

Hey matt,

agree on the great intro to the whole piece. Gave me goose bumps when the lyrics of the song kicks in.

I think it went a bit slow in the middle. I might not edit it to a full 5 minutes but not sure either.

I love the use of natural audio.

The speech was super and you made great use of it.

Probably worth adding some blue on some of the shots there.

Santo

Travis Cossel April 16th, 2010 11:51 AM

Great stuff, Matt. You had a killer toast to work with and did an excellent job of using it during the edit. My only real gripe was that at one point you dropped the music level down too soon before a voice audio piece came in. I find it's usually best to mix one out and the other in at about the same time, but that's just my opinion. Thanks for sharing!

Vito DeFilippo April 16th, 2010 01:31 PM

That was great. I loved the whole idea and edit. Well done.

A couple of suggestions. Since the opening shot is framed with black anyway, why not reframe it so it's not so low and crooked?

Neat effect on the musicians' hands with the double image. Hopefully that was intentional! It made me think it would be neat to adjust the speed of them playing so it looks like they're in sync with the song. I do this often with dance footage, and it would work great with your footage as well.

Thanks for showing it to us.

Stephen J. Williams April 16th, 2010 03:48 PM

Matt...

I must admit that watching your videos help me find my style of shooting that I enjoy. I love how this video was awesome start to finish without steadycams and fancy movements. Just well composed shots.... I loved the video start to finish. This has become my favorite video that you've posted yet.
Thanks for sharing...

Steve

By the way, the groom hooked you up with an awesome speech. I wish that we did the same in the US. You never know what your going to get with the BM or MoH speak.

Matt Barwick April 18th, 2010 04:59 PM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to check it - much appreciated.

Santo - giving you goose bumps - very cool. Funny you should mention the length - I actually did have a shorter version originally but felt it was just too quick so re-cut it to this one. As it is I think the ceremony part is still a little short. BTW - great to meet up in Feb. :)

Travis - thanks for your comments - he certainly gave a great speech. Good catch on the audio too.

Vito - Nice idea with the opening shot - that was a little rushed and consequently hand held. The double hand effect with the musician was a result of shooting interlaced with the shutter speed way too high. In hindsight I should've used the ND filter and brought down the shutter a little - or maybe it was intentional? ;)

Stephen - very flattering thanks mate. I am looking forward to using some nice extra gear in the near future, but in a weird way I think shooting minimalist - without steadis, sliders etc. has forced me to become a better shooter and focus more on good compositions, framing, technique etc. This piece was actually a solo cam./operator shoot.

BTW - agreed this was a really great speech by the groom and he was very engaging in the way he spoke and storytold. Sadly though I still come across far too many speeches that are straight templates off the net with recycled jokes - it's not just a US thing!

Cheers,

MB.