Vincent & Lisa Same Day Edit (FUN) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old April 19th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #1
Vincent & Lisa Same Day Edit (FUN)
Susanto Widjaja Susanto Widjaja is offline April 19th, 2010, 05:33 AM

Hey guys, we just did a very fun wedding shoot last weekend and did an SDE for them.

We were pleasantly surprised with what they put on show with their grand entrance and also, their THRILLER DANCE!!! they don't do many of these dances in Australia... so its great to witness one :P

The Thriller dance happened around 30 minutes before our SDE showtime but we couldn’t help but used every second to put it in the SDE, and boy did that make the difference… I just love seeing people’s reaction watching their emotional and happy moments that they’ve just experienced a few hours ago… until 30 minutes ago…

Technical details:
1x 5dm2
1x 7d
50mm 1.2L
100mm macro 2.8
135mm f2L
17-40 f4L
24-70 f2.8L
85mm f1.8

Rigs
- monopod, tripod
- Steadicam Merlin
- Glidetrack SD compact
- Car rig with suction cup bought from ebay

Any feedback is welcome... thanks in advanced..

Susanto Widjaja
Major Player
Views: 2387
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Major Player

I would normally comment, but this section only helps us all if we contribute together and comment on each others work!,lol :) helps us all grow, and shows it's not all about self gratification.....

I speak for myself also.....

Cheers.
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John De Rienzo View Post
I would normally comment, but this section only helps us all if we contribute together and comment on each others work!,lol :) helps us all grow, and shows it's not all about self gratification.....

I speak for myself also.....

Cheers.
Hi John, do you mean that I'm only showcasing my work here and not contributing? if yes, please revise your thoughts by checking my stats here and see "all posts made by me" on my statistics and see whether I have been contributing in others work or simply just showcasing my work.

Also, this is not only a section where you get critiques and comments for your work but also the place where you can inspire other people and share your knowdledge.

Hence why I put all the technical details on my thread (lenses, cams, gears etc). So that hopefully people can learn something out of it, which I'm sure that its been useful for many people, maybe not for you, but many other would love to see it and relate to it.

I have learned a great deal here by just "watching and watching and watching and reading and reading and reading" and there's nothing wrong with that. No one forces you to make a comment. It'll be good if you do, but it is not an obligation. We just post and comment because we love to and we enjoy the interaction.

This is just a guess, but I think you're sort of disappointed with how your threads haven't got many replies/feedback. I suggest that you write on the comment post that you really need more feedback. It will trigger people to comment. That's what I did before and it worked. Also, your work thats been posted here are usually long... people get tired to see long videos.

You've been a great contributor here. People will recognize it and eventually make the extra effort to comment for your work.

Cheers
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Really nice Santo. All your films have a very 'organic' feel to them which really immerses the viewer into the day - it's a gift :) Really nice subtle, (+ appropriate!) movements and colouring throughout too.

Only thing that caught my eye (or ear more specifically) was the steadi shot around 1:18 going from the shadows to the bridal party jumping when I could hear you counting them in - not that I don't like hearing your voice :)

Hard to believe you did your first SDE not so long ago...inspiring.

Cheers,

MB.
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Matt!

Thanks for ur comment!

I love it when you say "organic" cause that means it looks natural. I love natural... lol...

Regarding my voice, I was actually tossing whether or not i should keep it in. But now I can't really remember why I left it in.. lol.. mind you i also dislike when I hear the operator's voice on the film.

Santo
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Santo...

I wish I had the experience to tell you the specific things that I like about this video. I don't! So I like it all... the color, the feel, the union. Thanks for posting.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #7
Major Player

Stephen: You do have the experience man! come on! lol :P

Thanks for commenting anyway. Its always nice to hear encouraging words
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Susanto,

Thx for your comment, although I have to say, and correct you that your assumption/guess for why I posted this is unfounded. I am far from dissapointed!:) My comment was based on looking at this section in general and seeing many people posting work with 0 feedback, although some may have had substantial views!

I personally believe if people view your work, then a comment, however short, even liked, or not! is helpful with a short reason why.

I would not have known how you felt about my previous clips until now! yet you had the time to make that conclusion. Hope you understand where I am coming from!!!

I am sure many who post their clips here do it for feedback! and not just to inspire....

We can only help and grow when we receive feedback, and my observation is based on myself not making enough time to give feedback like I said in my previous post.

I do think you know where I am coming from :)

Cheers.
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #9
Major Player

I like the group dance, it is unique. Over all nice video. My only comment some footage looks over exposed.
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #10
Major Player

I've seen this in your facebook page, where my comment stays unchaged "GREAT!".. But now its on DVinfo I might ask some technical questions :D

You said 30 minutes before showtime... dude, how quick was the rendering?! what is your laptop spec? I suppose you are using FCP for editing?

I'm a total noob in SDE (maybe even NDE :P) but I'm definitely amazed at how you are able to capture the moments even until the very last minute prior to the showtime. Well done!
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:55 PM   #11
Major Player

Johannes: Thanks for your consistent comment :)

Regarding your technical question, my laptop is the old macbook pro 17 inch with 4gb ram. Its nothing fancy nowadays.

I finished editing the whole thing before the thriller dance happened and left a section at the end of the edit to put the thriller dance in it. So in other words, we've planned to put the thriller dance in.

Then,

We quickly shot the thriller dance, download the shot from the card (continuous 3 minutes shot), transcode it, put in on the time line and quickly edit them together.

Then,

we exported the edit to a REFERENCE final cut pro movie. (this takes around 10 minutes)

Usually we would just show the sde straight from the reference movie, however on this particular SDE, the projector didn't recognise our mac laptop so we put the reference movie to Compressor and exported a AppleTV h264 format out of it (this takes around 10 minutes) and copy it to a PC laptop that is already connected to the projector.

Hope that make sense to you :)

Santo
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:19 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Nice SDE, Susanto! I love the energy and pace you had in this, and honestly you were able to put a lot of content in there without it feeling long. That's not easy, especially with an SDE, so congrats on that.

I always feel a little bad giving any kind of critique on an SDE because they are such a challenge, but you asked for critique so here goes:

The first thing I noticed was you had a Merlin shot near the beginning that you cut out of too late, because the camera started to swing after the shot was over. I saw this a few times during the edit. Just cut those shots so you only see the very best part of the shot and not the intro and outro.

That said, you have some great Merlin skills. I know, because we use a Merlin and it's a lot trickier to use than a full Pilot or Flyer rig. So keep up the excellent Merlin work, just cut your shots in the edit a little tighter.

The other thing I was a bit confused by is the look of the video. Maybe it's just the Vimeo compression, but it didn't look at all to me like 5D/7D footage. Am I missing something or just crazy?

Anyways, enjoyed the edit and just loved the energy you had in the piece. Very well edited with the song. Thanks for sharing, man.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:23 AM   #13
Major Player

Wow, thanks for the detailed technical answer Santo!

I think I'll triple read it tonight while playing around with my FCP over a bowl of noodle.. It might take a while for me to understand the whole thing.. so I could end up with a second bowl before I fully understand what you meant :D

Thanks for being so helpful. :)
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:06 AM   #14
Major Player

Great Job Susanto !!! Love the steadicam work
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:27 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Nice SDE, Susanto! I love the energy and pace you had in this, and honestly you were able to put a lot of content in there without it feeling long. That's not easy, especially with an SDE, so congrats on that.

I always feel a little bad giving any kind of critique on an SDE because they are such a challenge, but you asked for critique so here goes:

The first thing I noticed was you had a Merlin shot near the beginning that you cut out of too late, because the camera started to swing after the shot was over. I saw this a few times during the edit. Just cut those shots so you only see the very best part of the shot and not the intro and outro.

That said, you have some great Merlin skills. I know, because we use a Merlin and it's a lot trickier to use than a full Pilot or Flyer rig. So keep up the excellent Merlin work, just cut your shots in the edit a little tighter.

The other thing I was a bit confused by is the look of the video. Maybe it's just the Vimeo compression, but it didn't look at all to me like 5D/7D footage. Am I missing something or just crazy?

Anyways, enjoyed the edit and just loved the energy you had in the piece. Very well edited with the song. Thanks for sharing, man.
Hey Travis,

Thanks for your feeling bad and still critique.. my work lol

I know what you mean with the shot being held for too long that it swing aside. I actually notice that when I was editing but kinda "liked" it so I left it there. I know it may look like a mistake or weird but I like the energy and the spontaneous feel that it gives to the whole edit. I think it is a preference thing but thanks for pointing that out.

We did shoot with 5d/7d. Don't know why you feel that it is different. Maybe there were just not many short depth of field shots on this one :P

Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi View Post
Wow, thanks for the detailed technical answer Santo!

I think I'll triple read it tonight while playing around with my FCP over a bowl of noodle.. It might take a while for me to understand the whole thing.. so I could end up with a second bowl before I fully understand what you meant :D

Thanks for being so helpful. :)
Hi Johannes,

no problem, happy noodling.. :P let us know how you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawad Mir View Post
Great Job Susanto !!! Love the steadicam work
Thanks Jawad, glad you love em!!! :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery