Pre wed video w/ a reality shot twist... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old April 20th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Pre wed video w/ a reality shot twist...
Stephen J. Williams Stephen J. Williams is offline April 20th, 2010, 08:08 PM

Mary and Gregg wanted a prewedding video that somewhat resembled a reality tv show. Basically they hosted a cocktail party with their friends and I was able to set up one on one interviews with them. I think it came out pretty good... I learned a little about shooting against a black background. A hair light or backlight even would have helped out... But there 800sq foot apartment was somewhat small..

Steve

Stephen J. Williams
Major Player
Views: 1524
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Stephen, I liked that. I can't evaluate it right away because it seems different to what we usually see regarding wedding. But it's original as an idea, and that's a plus by itself. I will have to watch it once again to get into it I think.

PS You are right about the black background, maybe a backlight would've helped. -:)
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris Mantalias View Post

PS You are right about the black background, maybe a backlight would've helped. -:)
Hey Dimitris....

Thanks for checking it out... I'm not the best when it comes to properly lighting a subject. I practiced with my wife the night before. I set everything up, and even had a backlight on her. She's a blonde though and was wearing bright clothing... So the backlight wasn't doing much for her. I decided to without it since their apartment was so small. Now I'm kicking my self.
live and learn...

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

That was cool Steve and a totally original concept. I felt like I knew the couple and their friends quite well by the end of it which says a lot about the piece.

Will be interested to see their wedding - sounds like you're going to get your killer best man speech too :)

Cheers,

MB.
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Nice concept Stephen. I have to agree with the lighting, again although I am no expert, I believe lighting a subject using Black as a background is difficult if you don't use the right lighting tools.I think a light hung above the subject would be the best way to light it. Or a pin light (don't know if this is the term) as back light to let the subject pop in.

Not to take anything away from the video, overall you did a great job!
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Major Player

Matt, thanks for checking it out. I like how it all came together.
The bride came up with the idea. I learned a lot which was the fun part. It'll still be hard to beat the speech you had to work with.

Noel. Thanks for checking it all out. I learned a lot about lighting against a black background. I had an idea for the third light but there was 0 space. I had to setup in the bedroom. No more excuses though. Next time it'll look much better :-)

Steve
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

First off, props for taking on a project that was outside the norm. Given it was your first try, I think you did a great job. You did a solid job with the shooting and editing and sound. A few suggestions ...

The lighting on the black background .. you already know. d;-) That said, it wasn't horrible, it just could have been better .. if that makes sense.

The intro went a bit long for me. I would have liked to have seen it cut in half and had some of the scenes removed, sped up a bit, or cut tighter. I do understand that you may have been hindered by the music too.

I liked how you had the groom close the door for the ending, but it would have been cool to have a quick outro with some credits onscreen .. like the end of a television show. Not a big deal, though.

Overall I enjoyed it and I think you deserve a big pat on the back for stepping into something new. For a first time, you executed admirably. Thanks for sharing.
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:29 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
First off, props for taking on a project that was outside the norm. Given it was your first try, I think you did a great job. You did a solid job with the shooting and editing and sound. A few suggestions ...

The lighting on the black background .. you already know. d;-) That said, it wasn't horrible, it just could have been better .. if that makes sense.

The intro went a bit long for me. I would have liked to have seen it cut in half and had some of the scenes removed, sped up a bit, or cut tighter. I do understand that you may have been hindered by the music too.

I liked how you had the groom close the door for the ending, but it would have been cool to have a quick outro with some credits onscreen .. like the end of a television show. Not a big deal, though.

Overall I enjoyed it and I think you deserve a big pat on the back for stepping into something new. For a first time, you executed admirably. Thanks for sharing.
Travis...

Thanks for commenting man. All good points that you brought up. It's funny with the lighting issue, I didn't pull it off to the best of my ability. But I easily see my mistake and no exactly how to fix it in the future. Thats not always the case...
I agree that the intro could have been at least 10 or 15 seconds shorter. I was somewhat dictated though by the song though.
It's funny you mentioned an outro, because that was my plan in the beginning. I originally wanted the video to be around 6 to 7 minutes in length. But once I started editing it started to get a little long. My goal is to get the prewed video's finished and ready for viewing ASAP. So I just somewhat ran out of time to add that in as an extra touch.
Thanks again for the "pat on the back"... I really enjoyed this project and so did everyone involved. I also was excited that I had a good reason to use some of the aerial footage I shot of NYC a few months ago.

Steve
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Major Player

Stephen,
Well done. I really enjoyed this very much.

I enjoyed the cuts, the story. My only thing was which pretty much one everyone said...black hair..black background. Other than that Great job

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery