DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   A break from weddings -- 1st b-day shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/477792-break-weddings-1st-b-day-shoot.html)

Kren Barnes April 28th, 2010 03:37 PM

A break from weddings -- 1st b-day shoot

Sadly, this will be the last of the many birthdays we've shot over the years as our wedding schedule will not allow us to shoot these events anymore...this is how we got our start 4 years ago.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kren
Vertical Video Works | www.verticalvideoworks.com

Stephen J. Williams April 30th, 2010 04:59 AM

Hey Kren....

Wow what a birthday... I can only imagine what this girls wedding will look like. I never shot anything like this before so I have no idea what should have been expected. I like the video and love the detailed shots. The only thing I think it was missing was the audio from the shots of the people speaking. I know that sometimes though when there's background mucis playing that it's difficult to add in the comentary without ruining the soundtrack.

Steve

Kren Barnes May 2nd, 2010 08:23 PM

Thanks for watching Steve! Actually it is not uncommon for a Filipino family to spend between $2K-$5k for a 1st birthday party. Our culture loves to celebrate milestones as in 1st, 7th and 18th b-days ...we lived off these events when we were starting our video business ..

Regards,

Chilaw Arts May 3rd, 2010 09:07 AM

Good job. I like this video

Johannes Soetandi May 4th, 2010 07:16 PM

Hi Kren, Nice video!!

I'm also just starting doing birthdays. It's definitely fun and children video are most enjoyable to see as they are very cute. But sadly the culture here is that people would rather spend money on food or other things for kids birthdays. Bday video isn't common yet.. Having said so, doesn't mean it will never be.

The most people would spend here for video (from quick research with friends) probably around A$200 roughly. I'm still considering whether its worth the time and effort I put in.

Secondly, Australia has a strict law of under-age in video/photo.. I may need to get parents consent letter before doing the bday shot.

Any thoughts?

Noel Lising May 5th, 2010 06:36 AM

Hi Kren,nice work. With good lighting the HD1000 is really a good starter HD Camera. I am thinking of buying one for $ 1000, saw an AD at craigslist.

Johaness that is my thought exactly,I am a little cautious of posting 1st Birthday video/photo without parental consent from guest etc. I was about to ask that question as well.I once did a 13th Birthday shoot and parents asked me to shoot Birthday greetings from friends at school during lunch break. Parents of the celebrant did not ask permission from the school (which I told them to do) and I was flagged by the Principal.

Joahaness $ 500 should be the minimum for 1st Birthdays, I think $ 250 is fine if you hand them the raw footage.

My 2 cents

Kren Barnes May 5th, 2010 10:45 AM

Thanks y'all for watching! wow that is a pretty strict law ..

When we started out , we charged $200 since we needed practice anyways, so it was good basic training. We currently charge $300-$350 for a basic birthday party (without a lavish dinner party) since it is just a couple of hours to shoot and 2 more to edit.. so its not too bad.. about $80/hour..really up to you if you need the business but i doubt if we will do another b-day again since our wedding schedule has been hectic...

@Noel - we are actually getting tired of our HD1000u ...its very limiting when you cannot attached a steadicam or the lighting in the venue is poor...causes us to spend more time on CC and editing but it certainly is a good bang for your buck...

Aaron Mayberry May 5th, 2010 12:00 PM

I feel like there's a disconnect somewhere.

I think the music, while great for a lot of party videos, just didn't quite fit with a 1 year olds birthday party. I don't know if the client requested it, but I think I would of gone a different route.

Also, everything is visually fine, but theres a few clips that don't have audio that should. The lady with the 2 kids talking into the mic should be heard, even if it's something silly. I would also think about adding a speech (if there was one) or some other voice track and put it over the music, at least for part of the video. I think that makes it more unique and will connect better emotionally.

Just my opinion, take with a grain of salt :-) It was a great video, I'm sure they loved it!

Kren Barnes May 6th, 2010 01:26 AM

I suggested Sesame Street songs but no go on that :( ...thanks for watching Aaron!