DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   My first beach wedding... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/479011-my-first-beach-wedding.html)

Stephen J. Williams May 19th, 2010 05:09 PM

My first beach wedding...

As always, I'm open to criticism. I've noticed a few things my self... I love making mistakes so I can better my future videos :-)

Steve

Susanto Widjaja May 19th, 2010 10:08 PM

hmmmm,,,, stephen stephen... nicely done buddy

Here's what I thought of your clip instantly as I watched it:

1. nice dof effect on the title. Gives it a 3D look and felt more polished clip.
2. Not sure about the grading since it looks too bleach bypass to me.
3. I think some cuts can be faster to give it more edgy look.
4. I was liking the feel of it all at the start with all the quirky music and the fun atmosphere.. until.... the bride cried during interview... she was crying when she said she was looking forward to walk down the isle.. now thats gold! I would love to see her walking down the isle as she was saying it and crying.. now the by this time, the music no longer appropriate. I would probably go to the more touchy feel. But then again, that's just me :)

Keep up the good work! You're getting better and better!

Santo

Kren Barnes May 20th, 2010 12:11 AM

Excellent job ! great vibe .. I really enjoy watching your videos and "ring" ideas..
not sure though why she was looking directly at the camera during her interview...a couple of sliding and gliding shots would have been nice but that is a matter of personal taste..

Keep up the great work Steve!

Cheers,

Kren

Matt Barwick May 20th, 2010 05:41 PM

Hey Steve,

Nice work and welcome to the world of beach weddings - plus all the extra challenges that go with them :)

Overall I think you did a great job. Since you're always up for some critique here's a couple of things...

I loved the interview footage intertwined with the live action. Didn't like the looking directly at the camera though - it really makes the viewer aware that there's a camera there.

0:44 is a great shot of the chairs getting set up but the horizon is dutch.

I agree with Santo - that's a great moment with the bride crying but it felt like the shot was held for a touch too long and felt a little uncomfortable - almost like we were intruding. A cutaway of the actual aisle walk would've been great.

Hope that helps - keep pushing!

Cheers,

Matt.

P.S. A rack focus ring and title shot? Love it!

Stephen J. Williams May 23rd, 2010 03:09 PM

Hey guys, Sorry that it took so long for me to write back. Hopefully none of you think that I'm ungrateful that of your time to comment.

Santo, Thanks for the compliment about me getting better and better. I have a lot of good people to learn from on here. Is there a DVINFO most improved award? (just joking of course).

I originally had envisioned the same as you. I wanted to splice in her coming down the isle while she was giving that interview. I didn't do though because I was keeping pace with the music. Changing it would have been a great idea.
The original shot with the title did look a little to much bleach bypass. It wasn't a filter though, just bad lighting on my part :-)

Kren, I wanted to use my slider so bad... But since I was on the beach I decided not to break it out (in fear of sand). Thanks for watching my work and enjoying the ring shots. I picked up some good ideas from Matt B. I love doing interviews with my couples and their friends... A lot of times I setup some sort of background paper to add more to the shot. I'm going to rethink them starring at the camera and come up with a more professional "angle"...

Matt... NOOOO I don't want to be welcomed to your world just yet. So many things could have gone wrong that didn't... My gear was covered with sand... I'm thankful that it wasn't as windy as the night before. That would have been bad for the audio and my camera. I was thinking about you though while I was working this one....

I didn't even notice the horizon in that one particular shot. I need to fine tune my eye's a bit...

Thanks again guys for taking the time to comment. I'm extremely grateful of all of your opinions.

Steve