DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Our Wedding Showcase 2010 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/479117-our-wedding-showcase-2010-a.html)

Susanto Widjaja May 21st, 2010 09:27 AM

Our Wedding Showcase 2010

Hi guys, please allow us to share our wedding showcase 2010. The concept is still similar with our previous 2009 showcase showing how video can give a lot more than most people think about while also showcasing our work.

Please feel free to comment and give feedback.

Just some technical details for those who are interested in knowing:

cameras: 5dmk2, 7d, xh-a1, letus extreme, sony fx1
editing: fcp
color correction: tiffen dfx, magic bullet, color wheel

I'd probably explain a bit about my editing workflow since it may be useful for some people. I basically export all of my trailer clips and my prewedding clips (4-5 mins each) everytime I finish a project. So I have a collection of 4-5 mins each which is about 3-4 gig each. They were all rendered in Prores 1920x1080p25. I then have all of my clips on the same codec which allows me to edit them nicely together. I then chose a song to cut them to and the way I choose the footage is mainly trying to fit in the words of the song. I prefer this way because it is so hard to choose the footage from so many different stuff that we shot over the year. And since we are getting the footage from trailer clips, all of the footage are great footage that were pre-chosen as well.. makes it harder.. so to narrow down your decision is a great plus.

Anyway, hope that helps, without further ado, here we are...

John De Rienzo May 21st, 2010 01:19 PM

Hi Susanto,

Firstly it's a really nice piece in it's own right with some good shots throughout.

I like the way you use the titles at the begining to tell the story from still to motion!

My only reservations would be the music choice. I found it quite slow going and I got a little
impatient around the 2 min mark but persisted on. I also found the vocal part about dying a little
disconcerting.

I guess the music choice dictated the pace, and I do like a little more energy in showreels.

Really good overall and I am sure your potential clients will love it.

Cheers.

Paul Mailath May 21st, 2010 06:36 PM

Fantastic Santo,

I'm going to put a link to that piece on the front page of my website with the comment "this is how good I want to be"

see you in July

Lloyd Coleman May 21st, 2010 06:37 PM

I think the demo is brilliant. It does just what our industry needs; shows the value of video in creating powerful, rich emotions and memories and shows that even though there is fantastic equipment available to the average person, it is not the equipment, but the talent of a professional using that equipment that makes a wedding film instead of a home movie.

Keep up the good work that raises the bar and improves the perception of what we do.

Johannes Soetandi May 24th, 2010 12:06 AM

Lovely mate! I like the way you build the video in a typical storyline of a wedding.. preps, holy matrimony, then reception.. but compiled with different couples.. Is that the way you planned it out to be?

I like the song selection too.. I say you are a big fan of Ingrid Michaelson? :P

I'm not any better than you but my preferrence would be to change the font size/style in the beginning during the stills.. I think it's a bit too small.. but that's just my 2 cents :)

Hameed Aabid May 24th, 2010 01:02 AM

This is just great.... Really well done, mate.

Sean Seah May 24th, 2010 03:26 AM

I like it. Very much in line with yr theme to "unfold stories"

Susanto Widjaja May 24th, 2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John De Rienzo (Post 1529730)
Hi Susanto,

Firstly it's a really nice piece in it's own right with some good shots throughout.

I like the way you use the titles at the begining to tell the story from still to motion!

My only reservations would be the music choice. I found it quite slow going and I got a little
impatient around the 2 min mark but persisted on. I also found the vocal part about dying a little
disconcerting.

I guess the music choice dictated the pace, and I do like a little more energy in showreels.

Really good overall and I am sure your potential clients will love it.

Cheers.

Hi John, Thanks for your comment, I agree music is a bit slow. The biggest reason for me to keep it there is that I like the cinematic feel of it and the end build up.

Trust me I spent quiet some time searching for a song, and although its not perfect, I don't feel like I regret choosing this one. The song that I used for last year's showreel was more happy feel though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 1529852)
Fantastic Santo,

I'm going to put a link to that piece on the front page of my website with the comment "this is how good I want to be"

see you in July

Thanks so much for that Paul, you're too kind with words. See u in July, we'll have fun eh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd Coleman (Post 1529853)
I think the demo is brilliant. It does just what our industry needs; shows the value of video in creating powerful, rich emotions and memories and shows that even though there is fantastic equipment available to the average person, it is not the equipment, but the talent of a professional using that equipment that makes a wedding film instead of a home movie.

Keep up the good work that raises the bar and improves the perception of what we do.

Thanks so much Lloyd. I'm glad you thought it was helping the industry

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi (Post 1530556)
Lovely mate! I like the way you build the video in a typical storyline of a wedding.. preps, holy matrimony, then reception.. but compiled with different couples.. Is that the way you planned it out to be?

I like the song selection too.. I say you are a big fan of Ingrid Michaelson? :P

I'm not any better than you but my preferrence would be to change the font size/style in the beginning during the stills.. I think it's a bit too small.. but that's just my 2 cents :)

Yes I'm a fan of Ingrid! big time! :)
I didn't plan it to be going from preps to holy matrimony and such and such. It just happened during the editing. I was inserting too much of preps initially and I had to cut down a lot of preps to make it more diverse. I only hope I could put in some more prewedding film shots, but what can u do eh?
I actually already made the fonts bigger :P bear in mind that you are watching it on a vimeo screen, might look ok on a lcd tv :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hameed Aabid (Post 1530573)
This is just great.... Really well done, mate.

Thanks Hameed :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 1530594)
I like it. Very much in line with yr theme to "unfold stories"

Thanks Sean, glad you found it that way.

Stephen J. Williams May 24th, 2010 08:51 AM

Santo...

I remember you doing a similar intro last year as well... It was awesome then and still AWESOME now. I loved the demo... Whenever I see something inspirational, I show my wife so she knows what I'm striving for. You've become a household name in my place. Great job...

Steve

Jose Ortiz May 24th, 2010 01:31 PM

Excellent as usual!
Bravo Santo!

Susanto Widjaja May 25th, 2010 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Ortiz (Post 1530826)
Excellent as usual!
Bravo Santo!

Thanks Jose, always great to hear from you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams (Post 1530685)
Santo...

I remember you doing a similar intro last year as well... It was awesome then and still AWESOME now. I loved the demo... Whenever I see something inspirational, I show my wife so she knows what I'm striving for. You've become a household name in my place. Great job...

Steve

Thanks Steve, you're too kind with words and I can only sincerely thank you :) I hope I get to invited for dinner when I come around :P

Kren Barnes May 25th, 2010 11:12 PM

I was so impressed with this piece that i showed it to my friends/coworkers and they cannot believe that wedding videos can be filmed like this.. certainly an inspiration , but most of all thank you for sharing so that we can learn from great videographers like yourself..

Look me up anytime if you ever thread on "Winter"peg, Manitoba, Canada. Dinner is on me :)

Cheers

Kren
Vertical Video Works | www.verticalvideoworks.ca

Susanto Widjaja May 26th, 2010 09:13 PM

@kren: Thanks buddy, I will definitely look forward to that dinner some day. (getting hungry now)

Kren Barnes June 5th, 2010 11:45 PM

For sure ! BTW, Jason Magbanua (Jmag) posted props to you as inspiration for his latest video...

Sigmund Reboquio June 8th, 2010 06:00 PM

great job Susanto!