SDE with a killer ring shot at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #1
SDE with a killer ring shot
Susanto Widjaja Susanto Widjaja is offline May 25th, 2010, 07:57 AM

Hi guys,

I'd like to share another SDE that we did. The highlight of this one is the ring shot that we did... my assistant came up with the idea and everything just went from there. it may not be the greatest ring shot ever, but we had so much fun shooting it.

This is also the first time we ever have the DPslider in our arsenal and I have to say that we were absolutely pleased with it. Good on you Don Pham! those expensive shipping cost was worth it in the end! :P

Will do a more complete review once we get to use it more often.

As usual, any comments and feedback are welcome.

Thanks guys

Santo

__________________
If a picture is worth a thousand words, what about motion picture?
website: www.papercranes.com.au | blog: www.weddingvideosydney.net

Susanto Widjaja
Major Player
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 622
Views: 1558
Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mays Landing, NJ
Posts: 768
Yep Santo... Pretty original ring shot. I loved how the bubbles carried through the video. Did you ask for their permission or just do it? I'm always a little nervous when I want to push the limits with the ring shot.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 371
Susanto,
As usual great SDE

Indeed the ring shot was killer. I loved it :)

keep it up
__________________
Jawad Mir / Cinematographer . Filmmaker
Film Style Weddings http://www.filmstyleweddings.com Jawad Mir http://www.jawadmir.com
Jawad Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Posts: 415
nice...nice..very nice! that ring shot is the bee's knees.. wish my assistant would come up with ideas like that..Are you submitting an entry to the upcoming WEVA 20th Annual Creative Excellence Awards Competition?

Cheers,

Kren
Vertical Video Works | www.verticalvideoworks.com
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 49
Very nice. Awesome venues! And yes, the ring shot rocks!! How long did you have to edit this? It amazes me to see this kind of work as an SDE.

My only critique would be how low the music gets during the vows. Was it just to avoid a conflict of the vocals in the song with the vows? If so, here is a free program I use that usually does a very good job in dropping out vocals in a song enough that it lays easily under voice over in a piece.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
__________________
Sarah Pendergraft
www.penweddings.com
Sarah Pendergraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Pendergraft View Post
Very nice. Awesome venues! And yes, the ring shot rocks!! How long did you have to edit this? It amazes me to see this kind of work as an SDE.[/url]
See Santo, I told you, its too good to be true.. Now give me that Time Stopper Machine! :D

Last edited by Johannes Soetandi; May 26th, 2010 at 07:57 PM.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Indeed a killer ring shot. In fact, the entire opening sequence was killer. Nice job, buddy! I also enjoyed the sweet reaction shot of the bride you got in the reflection. Timing is everything. d;-)
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
Yep Santo... Pretty original ring shot. I loved how the bubbles carried through the video. Did you ask for their permission or just do it? I'm always a little nervous when I want to push the limits with the ring shot.

Steve
Hi Stephen, yea the bubbles have certainly become the theme on this SDE. I actually friends with the bride and groom so I could do pretty much "anything" I wanted with the ring at that time. but if I didn't know them, I would probably ask their permission to dip the rings onto soap water, which they would definitely say yes anyway.. most of our couples are excited with ring shots..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawad Mir View Post
Susanto,
As usual great SDE

Indeed the ring shot was killer. I loved it :)

keep it up
Thanks Jawad :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kren Barnes View Post
nice...nice..very nice! that ring shot is the bee's knees.. wish my assistant would come up with ideas like that..Are you submitting an entry to the upcoming WEVA 20th Annual Creative Excellence Awards Competition?

Cheers,

Kren
Hi Kren, maybe you should feed your assistant some steak before shoot like I do.. :P jk...
Yea I did actually sent a few stuff to weva, fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Pendergraft View Post
Very nice. Awesome venues! And yes, the ring shot rocks!! How long did you have to edit this? It amazes me to see this kind of work as an SDE.

My only critique would be how low the music gets during the vows. Was it just to avoid a conflict of the vocals in the song with the vows? If so, here is a free program I use that usually does a very good job in dropping out vocals in a song enough that it lays easily under voice over in a piece.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
Hi Sarah, thanks for the feedback. we started editing at 6pm and showed the sde at around 9.30pm
I actually finished editing at 9pm. We were scheduled for 10pm showtime but its always better to screen it earlier as it will make the wow factor bigger. Thanks for that audacity program. i have heard about it but never actually used it. Will give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi View Post
See Santo, I told you, its too good to be true.. Now give me that Time Stopper Machine! :D
I just put it up on ebay!
__________________
If a picture is worth a thousand words, what about motion picture?
website: www.papercranes.com.au | blog: www.weddingvideosydney.net
Susanto Widjaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja View Post
Hi Sarah, thanks for the feedback. we started editing at 6pm and showed the sde at around 9.30pm. I actually finished editing at 9pm. We were scheduled for 10pm showtime but its always better to screen it earlier as it will make the wow factor bigger. Thanks for that audacity program. i have heard about it but never actually used it. Will give it a try.
Wow your SDE doesn't reflect 3 hours edit at all.. it is so well made. Amazing mate. I'll definitely look up ebay for that time machine :P

If I may know, does that 3 hours include converting from h.264 native file or did you set time before that to do it? and did you choose your particular footages before converting or mass convert (would take ages I reckon)?

I was trying to time myself on my current wedding trailer project.. took me 5-6 hours to select footages, convert and edit. I guess while filming you must have all the storyboard running on your head so that during editing you sorta knew what to achieve.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi View Post
Wow your SDE doesn't reflect 3 hours edit at all.. it is so well made. Amazing mate. I'll definitely look up ebay for that time machine :P

If I may know, does that 3 hours include converting from h.264 native file or did you set time before that to do it? and did you choose your particular footages before converting or mass convert (would take ages I reckon)?

I was trying to time myself on my current wedding trailer project.. took me 5-6 hours to select footages, convert and edit. I guess while filming you must have all the storyboard running on your head so that during editing you sorta knew what to achieve.
Hey Johannes,

we do mass convert throughout the day. we only select footage when we need to (running out of time)

usually we do this when we have a one hour ceremony so that we don't convert all one hour worth of footage.

What you want to do is to have some goals set in your head of when do you want certain things to be done. say by ceremony starts, you would have all the prep stuff converted. By reception starts you would have all of the footage converted. etc etc. make a detailed plan and try to stick to it. The more you do it, the better you will be.

Santo
__________________
If a picture is worth a thousand words, what about motion picture?
website: www.papercranes.com.au | blog: www.weddingvideosydney.net
Susanto Widjaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #11
AVPA
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 373
As usual Santo, an amazing SDE.

I can't wait to hear your talk at the workshop this year.
You certainly have built the stories in and continue the magic that I first saw in your clips.

I want a dp slider too
__________________
Preface Films - The Boss www.prefacefilms.com.au
EDU www.exposeddownunder.com.au
Rochelle Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Indeed a killer ring shot. In fact, the entire opening sequence was killer. Nice job, buddy! I also enjoyed the sweet reaction shot of the bride you got in the reflection. Timing is everything. d;-)
Thanks Travis, glad you noticed that it was actually a sequence. we actually had a few more shots of the sequence but decided to not putting it in because it might get too much.

Thanks again, always great to hear your comments :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochelle Morris View Post
As usual Santo, an amazing SDE.

I can't wait to hear your talk at the workshop this year.
You certainly have built the stories in and continue the magic that I first saw in your clips.

I want a dp slider too
Thanks Rochelle, I hope I can do better than last time.. lol

DP SLIDER ROCKS! its so smooth that my .5 meter feels too short now... cause it travels so quick
__________________
If a picture is worth a thousand words, what about motion picture?
website: www.papercranes.com.au | blog: www.weddingvideosydney.net
Susanto Widjaja is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network