DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   "The Butterfly Effect" Wedding Trailer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/480723-butterfly-effect-wedding-trailer.html)

Dimitris Mantalias June 21st, 2010 11:46 AM

"The Butterfly Effect" Wedding Trailer

Hi guys. This video is one of our most ambitious and daring experiments to date (thank God the bride is still in -positive- shock after watching it). This time we tried to create a trailer using different storytelling techniques than we're used to. Allow me to say a couple of things about it in case you give some of your precious time to watch it.

This wedding took place in an amazing summer resort during 4-6 June. First day it was the barbeque and bachelor party, and the weather was amazing. The next day though (the wedding day), one hour before the wedding, a huge cloud covered half the country (for real) and created a cataclysmic event, changing every plan that had been carefully crafted by the couple. Giorgos & Erato, one of the most amazing B&G we ever had, were deeply disappointed about things going wrong and started thinking things like "why this happened today to us". While at the reception, and during shooting we came up with the idea "what if we take advantage of all these things in order to tell a different kind of story"? So, the next day (also amazing sunny weather), we went for some extra shooting to complete a script we created the previous night.

And so, we created the "Butterfly Effect"...

Dror Levi June 21st, 2010 04:43 PM

Amazing!!!!.
I usually get bored really quickly from new ideas and always try to bring it to the next level,
But you my friend definitely did it.

Kelly Langerak June 21st, 2010 10:07 PM

Sooo good. Great job. I'm in aww.

Dimitris Mantalias June 23rd, 2010 04:59 AM

Thanks for your nice comments guys! :)

Tom Bostick June 24th, 2010 10:58 PM

absolutely phenomenal!
hands down most gripping video ive seen in a while
the bride should consider some voice acting or something
beautiful shots ,last three were breathtaking!
do you mind saying what equipment you used?

Shaun Roemich June 24th, 2010 11:07 PM

WOW. Felt like I was watching a MASSIVE budget movie trailer.

Simon Denny June 25th, 2010 12:23 AM

Very nice mate.

Can you share what gear you used and how many cameras you had on the day?

Cheers

Glen Mackay June 25th, 2010 12:54 AM

That's brilliant.

Dimitris Mantalias June 25th, 2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Bostick (Post 1542128)
absolutely phenomenal!
hands down most gripping video ive seen in a while
the bride should consider some voice acting or something
beautiful shots ,last three were breathtaking!
do you mind saying what equipment you used?

Thanks Tom! Actually it is not the bride's voice, but a professional voice actor from the US we hired for the job! After all the bride was Greek and it would be difficult to have such a perfect US accent. We wanted it "Americanized" because it would felt much more cinematic (for us outsiders, feeling US = feeling cinematic :) )

About the gear: We were just 2 videographers, shooting with 5 cameras. Sony EX1, 2X Sony FX1, Canon 550D with various lenses and Canon HV20 (on a tripod as a second cam for the ceremony). Extra equipment was, Glidecam 4000 pro, Flowpod, Some Tripods, Glidtetrack and Omni Tracker. The difficulty of trying ti use all those under extreme weather conditions (and we were just two plus the assistant) was massive, but I think it turned out good.

Sean Seah June 25th, 2010 09:52 AM

Dimitris, u guys r BRILLIANT!! What an awesome way to save the day! Salutes to u from Singapore.

Dimitris Mantalias June 25th, 2010 11:23 AM

Thanks Sean and thanks to all you guys for your comments! Here in Greece they think of it as the start of a new trend but not for every wedding (only if the money is good enough to cover the expenses of the voice-over :) ). For this wedding, we did for free for two reasons. a) because this amazing couple really deserved something special and b) because we wanted to do it as an experiment. :)

Tom Bostick June 25th, 2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris Mantalias (Post 1542267)
Thanks Tom! Actually it is not the bride's voice, but a professional voice actor from the US we hired for the job! After all the bride was Greek and it would be difficult to have such a perfect US accent. We wanted it "Americanized" because it would felt much more cinematic (for us outsiders, feeling US = feeling cinematic :) )

About the gear: We were just 2 videographers, shooting with 5 cameras. Sony EX1, 2X Sony FX1, Canon 550D with various lenses and Canon HV20 (on a tripod as a second cam for the ceremony). Extra equipment was, Glidecam 4000 pro, Flowpod, Some Tripods, Glidtetrack and Omni Tracker. The difficulty of trying ti use all those under extreme weather conditions (and we were just two plus the assistant) was massive, but I think it turned out good.

awesome thanks!
cant wait to see more from you :)

Kren Barnes June 25th, 2010 02:22 PM

That was simply amazing Dimitris! You guys rock! 5 cams for 3 people? i cannot even start to imagine how difficult that would be but you pulled it off...Congrats! I'm looking forward to seeing more videos from you..

Kren
www.verticalvideoworks.ca

Aaron Jones June 25th, 2010 04:56 PM

The piece and the concept were really well thought out (well I guess improvised, but we wouldn't have known without you telling us). I'm in two minds about the VO. I dig the idea and the execution, but since I am watching it with headphones, my wife has Desperate Housewives in the background and I can't separate them in my head!

Dimitris Mantalias June 26th, 2010 03:08 AM

Aaron, you're absolutely right! When we started thinking about what kind of voice we wanted for this, Desperate Housewives was the first thing that came in mind! :) So we wanted a voice that sounded like it but not the slow and pretty ironic style of DH. When we heard that particular voice, we said "this is it"!