Lesson Learned - Our 1st Save the Date (1min. 30 sec) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old June 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Lesson Learned - Our 1st Save the Date (1min. 30 sec)
Kren Barnes Kren Barnes is offline June 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM

Our first crack at doing a STD video...wanted to recreate their story...this was actually a remake since the first edit with orchestral music seemed overly dramatic..i changed it last minute... Lesson learned? Keep it simple :) Your thoughts are certainly appreciated.. Thanks

Kren Barnes
Major Player
Views: 1631
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:24 AM   #2
New Boot

I think its great( i think that you used the sony hvr hd1000) Its very great work , but isnt the camera too heavy for the steadicam?Love the story and the colours
Akinola Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm not a professional and can't make any really critical comments about details as others who are far more qualified could, but as a non-pro I really enjoyed it. I tried to think what I would think if I were a friend of the couple and my thoughts were the same -- these are two people who I'd really be happy for. And since I don't know them, my feelings came solely because of your work and that's a big complement. You evoked emotions for them with your film. I would imagine they, their family, and their friends enjoyed it even more.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:59 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinola Williams View Post
I think its great( i think that you used the sony hvr hd1000) Its very great work , but isnt the camera too heavy for the steadicam?Love the story and the colours
Thanks for watching and kind words Akinola..yes we use the HD1000u as our main cameras...however we use the Sony SR11 with a steadycam for the gliding shots...

Kren
www.verticalvideoworks.ca
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Murray View Post
I'm not a professional and can't make any really critical comments about details as others who are far more qualified could, but as a non-pro I really enjoyed it. I tried to think what I would think if I were a friend of the couple and my thoughts were the same -- these are two people who I'd really be happy for. And since I don't know them, my feelings came solely because of your work and that's a big complement. You evoked emotions for them with your film. I would imagine they, their family, and their friends enjoyed it even more.
Thanks Phil! Much appreciated..it is indeed a big compliment coming from someone who has a fresh and different perception and viewpoint... just like every videographer in this forum,we just try to do the best we can in capturing the story of every couple we film. Best regards,

Kren
Vertical Video Works | www.verticalvideoworks.com
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for sharing it with us, Kren. As someone who is looking to get into this business at least on part-time, I look at the works of others with an eye to learning from them, to seeing what it is about their work that seems attractive. Besides a lot of the shots (which I hope to use in my own work later!), the best part was the story that you told in a very short time. I have a feeling that's going to be the hardest part for me to learn and the the part that you did an especially good job in expressing.

I'm not good enough to notice little things that others might see, but I do know when a work evokes positive emotions. Yours definitely did that.

Please share more with us in the future.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #7
Major Player

hey Kren

apart from a few technical issues (you shooting in auto-exposure?), it was really sweet and any couple would absolutely love that! very nice!

cheers
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks again Phil..

@Richard - Thanks for watching ! yeah we do...we had a bad incident before with playing with the manual exposure so we're careful now and just adjust in post during color correction... Regards..

Kren
Vertical Video Works | www.verticalvideoworks.com
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Kren, I know what you mean unless you have a big monitor on site or you know what the magic bullet is for exposure, manually control for exposure is a big no, no for the HD1000u, I had grain on a well lighted subject. Let me know if someone has figured it out, I am still playing with it.

Shooting from vx2000 to a heavier HD1000u got me stumped the first day I used it, I can frame the shot without even looking with the vx2000 and out of habit I sometime do it with the HD1000u and get out of frame subjects. But I love the camera, can't wait to do my frist HD edit.
Old July 5th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #10
Major Player

Hey Noel,

Yeah that's what exactly happened...we spent about 120 hrs in postproduction trying to rid of the grain..
Glad you are enjoying the cam..oh forgot to mention that you should watch your stop and starts when filming since sometimes the audio goes out of synch...

Kren
www.verticalvideoworks.ca
Old July 5th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #11
Major Player

Kren, what do you mean by that (watch stop and start)? I record the audio for entire reception by getting a feed from the DJ to an Iriver so I have to synch it anyway what concerns me is the ceremony. I do mic the groom for the vows but everything else is on camera microphone.

Thanks in advance.
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #12
Major Player

Then i wouldn't worry about it, i am assuming you just let the camera run...the problems we had before was when we had to push stop/pause and record (button) numerous times and the audio went out of sync...

Kren
www.verticalvideworks.ca
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery