Same Day Edit in MEXICO! - Colour Craft Media at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old October 26th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #1
Same Day Edit in MEXICO! - Colour Craft Media
Randy Panado Randy Panado is offline October 26th, 2010, 06:39 PM

This was my first international SDE. The couple had us travel to New York to shoot their e-session concept film so I included a small amount of that in the same day edit. It was quite the challenge running around the resort and nailing specific shots in order to tell the story of the day but pretty happy with the result. It was shot in Riviera Maya, Cancun and the resort was REALLY beautiful.

The music is a departure from the usual "wedding" music. The bride and groom are both huge music lovers and it came as a special request. I usually pick the music when doing SDEs but seeing as how they really loved the song, I took it on as a challenge to edit to this type of genre. I also had a short amount of time to edit this piece, right around 4 hours due to how jam packed their wedding schedule is. Thank God that my team, comprised of my sister studio based out of ohio red Bicycle Media, was able to do a bit of rough cutting while I was flying steadicam to ease a small amount of pressure.

Please comment on the blog if you enjoyed the film! Sombreros and Prank Jokes // Eunice ‘ Prince – Premium Same Day Edit (Riviera Maya, Mexico) Colour Craft Media

Technical stuff :
5dmk2
7D
Zeiss Primes for prep
70-200 f/4 IS during ceremony and 17-55 2.8 IS for steadicam
Steadicam Pilot
Cinevate Atlas 30 (had to send Atlas 10 back as they were using it for a trade show)

Thanks

Randy

Randy Panado
Major Player
Views: 1589
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Nice Work Randy!
I think you took on the challenge really well by using their requested song. Really nice steadycam shots.

Just curious on how you managed a destination wedding. (I will have one next year in Puerto Rico)
How many crew did you bring?
by the way, did you have to bring heavy equipments on destination weddings like the steadycam pilot?

thanks,
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Sigmund, thanks for watching and commenting.

I brought along 2 other cinematographers for this destination wedding. I was VERY worried about packing steadicam and slider due to customs, but it was the fastest customs check I've ever been thru. You have to push a button and if you get a green light, you move thru. If you get red, you are searched. It's a random process.

However, being that you are going to Puerto Rico (US territory), I don't think you have much to worry about. I packed the steadicam and tripod in my suitcase while we divided the slider parts of the atlas 30 among us.

Let me know if there's anything else I can answer. Thanks
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Awesome look to that piece. What aperture were you shooting at during the ceremony and when the bride got off the boat?
Peter Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Peter, thanks for the compliments. I have my guys shoot at f/8, sometimes a tad higher, outdoors.
Old October 27th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #6
Major Player

I would have cried during editing if I were given that music.

NICE JOB!

Santo
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Major Player

Haha, thanks Santo! I had to edit the song 2 nights before and trust me, I was pulling my hair out figuring out how to make the song pace well. lol
Old October 28th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #8
Major Player

I've learned that it's just sometimes better to stress your expertise in your work and flat out tell them that their song isn't a fit for a) your style of work or b) the emotion your trying to give the audience.

We had a SDE a while back that was Lebanese and not feeling comfortable picking the "right" song, I turned to them and all I got was Lebanese techno. It was horribly hard to work with and I just flat out tell people I will use their music as SUGGESTIONS now.

Great work, either way though!
Old November 2nd, 2010, 04:36 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Nice one Randy!:)
Garry Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Major Player

Hey Aaron, thanks for watching. I liked the song and genre, but felt it didn't have the right elements to fit into the vision I had of the day. However, after being immersed in the feel of the day, it fit the feel of how things were unraveling. Now there are some songs that should NEVER be wedding songs, lol, so in those types of cases I will be firm on a change of song. This was more me being out of my comfort zone so it was great being able to rise to the challenge :). Much thanks for commenting and watching!

Garry - Thanks :)
Randy Panado is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery