DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   My sisters wedding highlight - 7d's (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/487794-my-sisters-wedding-highlight-7ds.html)

David Schuurman November 20th, 2010 10:09 PM

My sisters wedding highlight - 7d's

Hey folks.

My sister got married on the 6th and I shot it. This is the highlight video I produced which I think has some of my best shots in it! I was so happy shooting on that day because I knew everyone, I was in my parents house, and in beautiful venues.
She hasn't seen this yet but I'm flying back to toronto tonight to screen it for her at her new house! So excited!

Let me know what you think about it, if you have any critiques Im interested in hearing them, and if you have any praises, I'm interested in hearing those too. :)

Thanks for watching,

Pass: wedding

Chris Barcellos November 20th, 2010 10:31 PM

Very sweet, and heartfelt.... the family relationships seems to have come through strong. Nice to really know your subject.

Stephen J. Williams November 21st, 2010 10:00 AM

Hey David...

I love the pacing towards the end... It was a pleasant surprise that I didn't see coming. great job on the video.

Steve

Jason Ryman November 21st, 2010 01:06 PM

What's the password?

Woops! just saw it in the bottom of your post. Sorry.

Susanto Widjaja November 21st, 2010 06:35 PM

totally dig it. watched it till the end. very heartfelt. the fast pacing at the end is a little too much/too fast for me but I can see the point why you did that and it was a great idea. I would probably tone it a bit down just a little.

Great work David.

Santo

David Schuurman November 21st, 2010 09:44 PM

thanks for the kind remarks you guys!

the close relationship definitely shows in the final product, which makes me so much more passionate about getting to know my future clients even better. It makes a huge difference to know the significance of every little thing that goes on in a wedding. For instance in my sisters wedding my mom has her dress made overseas and so it was a constant adjusting process to be making minute adjustments before the wedding to make it fit perfectly (my mom was a seamstress in her younger years) and it had significance to show the sewing of the dress, and one of the shots is of us holding my sister up on a chair which was a last minute homage to a failed and hilarious photo session that my dad tried to do with us when we were young kids. Its things like that which really make a video a success, and I really look forward to getting to know my clients better to be able to bring even more personality to their films.

I just got back from premiering this highlight for my sister+husband and his parents, my family, and part of their wedding party, and it was so rewarding to watch them watch this. to see them crying andlaughing at the same time and catching their breath when something happened etc. I haven't premiered a video like this before and it was a great experiance, we watched it 4 times back to back and then skyped His sister in Honduras and we all watched her watch it and even that made the girls cry lol. We even broke out one of the leftover tiers of wedding cake to eat!

In regards to the fast pacing at the end I feel that as a highlight its a great way to end because you can include a whole lot of other stuff in there that you dont have time for and its just enough time to register what you're seeing and make you want to go back and watch it again. In fact we went through and stopped on each little clip and talked about it after watching the 4th time.

So Susanto I suppose it could work better with a slower moving track but I felt like I really wanted to bring the energy up right before the end shots and I feel that it worked out. I did a fast paced clip segment in another highlight video this summer so I'm not going to do it for the next couple weddings unless I just cant hold myself back from it haha.

I'm going to make this into a super long boring post but I have alot to say :)

I used a 24-70mm lens on one of the cameras and I found it incredibly soft, not out of focus soft but just overall soft. I realized later that the lens was still on auto focus, would that affect the softness? I feel like it might (wasn't the camera I was opping BTW :).

I know thats a soft lens generally but not THAT soft, i really dont want to rent it again anyway because even thought its a great versatile lens I just cant get over how soft it looks compared to the 24mm 1.4 and the 70-200 that I also used.

I also had alot of problems during the ceremony... We had a zoom h4n on the string quartet which had a card error 15 minutes into the service, a bad wireless transmitter for the ministers mic (tested the night before and seemed fine), and my hidden processional camera shut down 2 minutes into the ceremony. I still had a backup angle but all those things happening at once really got me upset. I guess those're the breaks though, the video will still turn out great I just hate that it could've been even better.

Anyways thats enough out of me. Thanks for watching and putting up with this exhausting post!

David

Peter Phan November 22nd, 2010 03:23 PM

David, that's a fantastic video. I can definitely agree with you on how gratifying it is to be your sister's wedding videographer.

James Strange November 27th, 2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams (Post 1590326)
Hey David...

I love the pacing towards the end... It was a pleasant surprise that I didn't see coming. great job on the video.

Steve

Exactly what I was thinking while watching it

Well done