First Wedding - Need Critique Please! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old January 26th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #1
First Wedding - Need Critique Please!
Matty Jatz Matty Jatz is offline January 26th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Fellow Videographers,

First of all, thanks a lot for reading this post. My new years resolution in 2011 is to start up my Wedding Videography business with full force. This is something I've been wanting to do for some time now. I have a full-time day job, but enjoy film more. With my time off from my day job, I will be putting 110% into my side business as a videographer. I've got approximately 3-4 years experience as an amateur videographer but new to Weddings.

Below is my first full blown wedding video/edit I've done. I've had a few weddings where I only edited but this one was all me. I'm currently shooting with two Canon HV20s but looking extremely hard at the 7D.

Please take the time to watch this Highlight clip and whatever feedback I get is greatly appreciated. There are some obvious flaws in the video, deadcat in the upper right from my Rode Video Mic, a few unstable shots, color correction, etc. but please point out other issues you may see!

Thanks again, and I look forward to becoming a part of this community.

-Matt-

Matty Jatz
Tourist
Views: 1440
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Overall pretty good for your first wedding. A few things kinda jumped out at me though. In no particular order, first, your auto focus killed you. (I asume it was auto focus) because it kept jumping in and out.
Second, the effect of rack focus is nice but no effect is good when it's overdone. IMO you overdid the rack focus. The best racks were on the invite (I think it was the invite) and when the couple came in thru the door at the top of the stairs for the introductions. It was appropriate there. Lastly watch your headroom. In the shot at 1:11 when the bride and her girls were in the room finishing dressing her, you had way too much headroom and the shot was tilted. Not dutch angle tiled but holding the camera cockeyed crooked.

OVERALL though it was nicely done. Good start to your wedding shooter career. Clean up a couple of things and you'll have a really good product.

Having said all of that, I'll bet the B&G will be extremely happy with what you give them. Like I said overall well done.

Good luck and welcome to the wild, wacky world of weddings

O|O
\--/
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Great job, Matty!

Great job, Matty!

New to this particular forum and only been doing wedding videos for a year or so, but I'm impressed with what you were able to do with only 2 HV20s :)

I'm interested in how your sound turned out, too, especially with the vows if you were only using your Rode or something else, too?

I thought the getting ready scene could have lost a bit, though, especially the inserts into the shoes. Loved the cufflinks shot, though. Maybe slow down the pan of the room at 2:26 with editing? Really liked the final shot and the fade to white.

Again, great job!
Deborah
Deborah Gallegos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery