Rhett + Nicole | MUST SEE Wedding Highlights | Serendipity Studios - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old April 25th, 2011, 12:00 AM  
Rhett + Nicole | MUST SEE Wedding Highlights | Serendipity Studios
Travis Cossel Travis Cossel is offline April 25th, 2011, 12:00 AM

It's easy to get excited about filming a wedding in the Florida Keys with a sunset backdrop and fire jugglers and junkanoo performers and fireworks over the ocean. What's even more exciting is when the couple is genuinely rediscovering true love through each other. For us, a visually-stunning wedding is nothing without a story of heart and soul.

We've been so excited to share Rhett and Nicole's wedding highlights video, but we had to wait until after it premiered at their 2nd wedding reception back in Ohio. Well, without further adieu, here is their wedding highlights video. Enjoy!

Travis Cossel
Inner Circle
Views: 5506
Old May 9th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Rhett + Nicole | MUST SEE Wedding Highlights | Serendipity Studios

Victor | The macro helps make it look riskier than it was. d;-)

Zhong | You're welcome. I love helping others. Regarding your question, the best thing you can do in a situation where you're lacking enough light is to ... add more light. During that fireworks scene we had an LED light set up off-axis to give some extra light on their faces. We also had a studio light some distance away (probably about 60 feet) hitting them from behind with some extra light.

Obviously you can also up your ISO and drop your shutter and open your aperture full-wide, but sometimes it's just DARK and you're not going to get good results without adding light. You can also try the Neat Video software as it does a good job of increasing exposure and reducing noise. We don't use it but we've heard good things about it.
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #32
Major Player

Thanks, Travis, awesome insight as always!

With a studio light, do you find it takes too long to set up or gets people upset with the bright light? Is it something you have to plan in advance, so you get the shot you need, then turn it off quickly?

Also, where were you able to get electricity/outlet to power a studio light outdoors?
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #33
Inner Circle

It takes maybe 5 minute extra to set up a light, and we take care to set it up so that it's not going to annoy the guests. We also generally only use the lighting for major events like the first dance and so forth, but we take care to judge the crowd too. Sometimes you can just leave the light on and everyone will just keep dancing and not even care. Sometimes you need to turn it off. As for power, we just ran an extension cord to an outlet inside a building that was near the beach. We also have on-camera lighting we can put on stands or on cameras if needed.
Old May 10th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #34
Major Player

Thanks for the confirmation, I've been wanting to stay away from lights as much as possible, but seems that just not possible with the current technology yet in dark scenes.

I can't stop watching your video either - probably watched it 20x now! And I notice more and more amazing stuff each time. For example, this time around, I noticed that you had a subtle slider shot of the audience sitting in the chairs during the ceremony as well as a dolly in shot with the rose petals on the ground at the couple at the front.

How were you able to manage these slider shots during the ceremony? Especially the dolly in shot with the rose petals - I'm guessing you were situated in the middle of the aisle for this shot, which was permissible since it was outdoors and not in a church?

But the bigger question is what kind of ceremony camera set up do you use? I was thinking the standard 3 camera setup, all on tripod (middle back of aisle, then right and left up front). But if I go with that setup, I don't see how I could possibly achieve the subtle slider shots you got during the ceremony? Care to share how you accomplished that?

Thanks Travis! Great job again.
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #35
Inner Circle

We use anywhere from 4-5 cameras while shooting a wedding ceremony, which leaves us free to dedicate one camera to more creative shots. That said, I only work with a single assistant and we work together to keep all of the cameras shooting what we want. It's not easy but it works well for us. d;-)
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhong Cheung View Post
Travis, thanks for your detailed response! It's going to help me a lot.

I did an event the other night at a very dark lounge with the 7D and fast Canon 2.8 lens (17-55 and 70-200mm IS), but nearly ALL my shots came out horrible - it was so hard to focus even with an 8" monitor, not to mention that the darkness was overwhelming, even on 6400 ISO (horrible noise, I know...but I didn't know what else to do) and even 1/30 shutter speed. We shot wide open on 2.8, but all our footage came back useless.

Everything was simply too dark. I imagine your outdoor scene at night watching the fireworks and the fire jugglers must have been very dark as well. How did you manage to get such clean images, exposed so your can see their faces, no real noticeable noise, sharp focus, etc? Did you use a video light? We didn't have one.
Zhong, if you're not going to use a video light than you need a faster lens. 1.8, 1.4 or 1.2s.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Michael is right, although the DOF is so shallow below 2.0 that you'll likely have a nightmare keeping focus on a moving subject.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery