My wedding film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #1
My wedding film
Sean Nelson Sean Nelson is offline July 5th, 2011, 11:07 PM

My first legit wedding film, 95% done, few color correcting tweaks but this is it. Ive done 2 weddings before for friends with just me with a camera but this is my first try with good equipment and a 2nd shooter.

password: sean

Criticism is welcomed.

Sean Nelson
Regular Crew
Views: 1801
Old July 7th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: My wedding film

105 views and not a single opinion. Interesting
Sean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Trustee

You wouldn't want me to comment on it - just look what I said about the last one http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...leb-abbie.html :-)

Or maybe if I just said it was rubbish, lots of folks will disagree and chip in with specific helpful comments :-)

OK, what the heck, here goes:

Positives - There were lots of good shots; your audio was clear and the mains bits of the day are all covered in there somewhere.

Negatives - I wasn't convinced by the edit (pace inconsistent and the storyline seemed unbalanced and rather random to me). Some technical issues need addressing - eg focussing (yes THAT again) and as you said colour correction (quite a bit).

I hope this will trigger some other comments and discussion for you.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Major Player

I'll echo Colin's comments. I was pretty confused throughout the clip, it seemed to jump back and forth in time a lot and not really tell a story.

There were some great shots, and there were some bad shots too. I think the mixing of good/bad was getting to me. Lots of nice smooth slider shots (a little overused IMO), but then some jerky/out of focus/misframed shots that really threw things out of whack.

I guess the bottom line is that when you're going for this "cinematic" high-end look, then every single shot has to be perfect. You're ripped right out of the moment whenever technical issues flare up.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks man! Thats what I want to here. The focusing is definitely a work in progress, as i use dlsrs more ill get that issue resolved

The color correction issue is frustrating to me. So the primary issue is the dance floor, way too yellow although thats how it was. Because of the low light, whenever I try and remove some of the red/yellow itll lose luminance, thats a major pain. Any experience with this issue?

Can you provide any examples of the inconsistant pacing/editing? The one that comes to mind is the ceremony the cutting a bit off but that was to cover the shaky or unusable shots.
Old July 10th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #6
Trustee

OK - here's a couple of things that struck me about the edit:

17:04 is quite a long video if you are expecting lots of people to watch and comment.

I think the opening 3 minutes (up to the rings) works well as a highlight video and you might have been better posting that separately. The first time I watched it I though that was it finished!

The beginning of the main section didn't hold my interest, partly because the audio isn't as good and it doesn't help to have guitar musak making it even harder to hear. You have tried hard to maintain the interest visually with cutaways (pity about the photog at 3'32" - is there nothing else to cut away to here?) but this section just isn't as good as the first 3 minutes. That speech would be of interest to the B & G since it was their wedding, but I think you might have been better to include it as an extra and start the main section with the preps at 4'26".

Thereafter, it runs through more or less chronologically and works pretty well, although it could probably use some titles to clarify the blackouts separating the sections.

Just my 2 pence.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey Colin thanks again, I really appreciate it. Im not dumb so I see what you are saying. Unfortunately because the DJ messed up the volumes with the mic the audio was not good and I love how the father said im not doing a speech so I dont mic him but then he does do a speech. So much rude chatter during his speech, like that noise is after me really removing a lot with izotope. I thought maybe adding the instrumental would help cover up the kids and people talking. Overall I am not happy with the way I handled the speeches. I wasnt prepared enough but a great experience to learn from.

But really the issue is there with the film besides some bad shots throughout? I tried keeping everything in order but I thought the first dance we had so amazing close ups and that would be a great way to end it mixed in with highlights throughout the day.

The film isnt done yet I will be giving them it next weekend so I have always been working on this. I just love hearing criticism. So thanks everyone!
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Major Player

Good stuff Sean, brides going to be happy. The few things I saw:
-some of the inside shots are a bit dark and the blacks crushed, maybe increase the exposure a bit.
-One of the lenses has a bunch of dirt on it, maybe use cc wireframe removal to get rid of it.
-a few of the shots looked soft, or the rack focus was off a little. Maybe look into Magic lantern if your willing to risk it for its focus peaking assist features, or an evf.
-make friends with the photographer, he should be shooting from the same angle as you.
-think about shooting at 1/30, you can getting better low light performance at the reception.
-twixtor looked a little strange at 13:09.

The handheld shots looked pretty good, what equipment are you using? Is this the full deliverable or the short edit?

Just saw the other comments, maybe cut it down to the best stuff depending on what the deliverables are?
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hey Greg thanks,

The deliverables will be that when its finished, a highlight video, a slideshow, a raw clip of the ceremony and first dance with their custom dvd. I say thats a lot for doing it for next to nothing.

We were using the 1/30 shutter speed, it was just a very dark reception and we had no lights. Had 70-200mm 2.8s, 35mm 1.4, 16-35mm 2.4 and slider/tripods/monopod.

The beginning speech after the ring shot wasnt the best shot but I think they definitely want to see it, otherwise I wouldnt have used it. Idk what is your opinion?
Sean Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery