DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Sun, sea, underwater DSLR, bikinis | Minty Slippers heads to the Caribbean (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/501831-sun-sea-underwater-dslr-bikinis-minty-slippers-heads-caribbean.html)

Danny O'Neill October 21st, 2011 02:01 AM

Sun, sea, underwater DSLR, bikinis | Minty Slippers heads to the Caribbean

Howdy ho gang.

It's been a busy time here at Minty HQ as we launched our new look brand this week.

We also released our latest short film from the wedding of Andrew and Jessica which we shot earlier this year on the island of St Maarten in the Caribbean. An island famous for having one of the scariest airports in the world where the planes come in really low over the beach.

The clip features all our usual tricks, glide track, steadicam but also a new toy. The underwater dslr housing. We knew we were going to get wet and we knew we didn't want to go the gopro route.

Soon we will be releasing an education section on our blog where we will be posting free tutorials and a full breakdown of this clip (lens choice, why grade it one way over another, gear used, challenges, travelling with you gear and getting a full steadicam there safely).

The clip is heavily colour graded but as with all good grading you shouldn't really notice (well, you guys will but it shouldn't hit you in the face).

Enough chat. Here it is...

Stevan Ostojic October 21st, 2011 03:55 AM

Re: Sun, sea, underwater DSLR, bikinis | Minty Slippers heads to the Caribbean

Very nicely put together!

Danny is this the full length of what you guys provide the client, or is there an extended version??

Danny O'Neill October 21st, 2011 04:18 AM

Hi Stevan,

This is just the highlights. The full film will be around 20 minutes long. Maybe a bit more as this was shot over 6 days instead of just the one.

Art Varga October 21st, 2011 08:26 AM

Wow! - BRILLIANT

Chris Medico October 21st, 2011 11:02 AM

I enjoyed watching that. It wasn't just highlights. It still had a story that many of the hightlight videos I see posted are missing. Excellent job.

David Schuurman October 25th, 2011 12:36 PM

Great job danny. I loved it. Especially towards the end.

Kawika Ohumukini October 25th, 2011 04:42 PM

Incredible. You and others here definitely raise the bar. Thanks for sharing. You used pauses in the action very well and timed the music/lyrics with what was occurring in the video nicely.

One question. We hear the waves lapping up against the rocks from the very beginning and some dialog over it but when you first show the waters edge the volume of the waves drops quite a bit. Seems to me that would have been the payoff. Is that an intentional effect?

Thanks and nice work.

Danny O'Neill October 26th, 2011 04:15 AM

Thanks Kawika. It was intentional. The opening lapping was from the waves at the time of the timelapse. Then it switches to the actual waves from the footage you see. Was supposed to be the same volume but obviously not.

Kawika Ohumukini October 26th, 2011 09:58 AM

Hi Danny, thanks for clarifying. I'm still working to get the kind of quality you're producing and I appreciate your time. Cheers.

Danny O'Neill October 26th, 2011 10:29 AM

You shoot DSLR?

If you ever need a hand just drop us an email.

Joe Thompson November 11th, 2011 05:07 PM

You must be good at holding your breath under water by now Danny :-) Awesome, enjoyed that. Great imagery and storytelling. Your footage is so crisp & sharp ... true HD ... struggling with that side of things my end, especially staying in focus with DSLR's. I'd say you could get used to the destination weddings ... well done.

Danny O'Neill November 13th, 2011 10:24 AM

Hi Joe,

The LCDVF from Glidetrack was an absolute must in those lighting conditions. We've never had a problem with focusing without it but it certainly helps.

The footage we get is actually too sharp and crisp, so we mess it up a little in the edit by applying a film grain effect. Very subtle, not that anyone should notice but enough to add to the filmic look.