First attempt at Editing a Wedding video - Bash away! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old November 11th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #1
First attempt at Editing a Wedding video - Bash away!
Paul Elertson Paul Elertson is offline November 11th, 2011, 09:10 AM

A unique situation I suppose as I like to edit video (mostly automotive related) as a hobby. Well when it came time to get married, I didn't want to pay anyone else to edit, so I gave it a shot.

I am very new to color correction but tried my best to match some XH-A1 footage with some canon 7D DSLR footage. Very tuff, but I've seen other people on here do it flawlessly so I know it can be done. lack-luster results may be from my lack of knowledge on the subject or lack of tools. All I used for CCing was what is built in to Adobe Premiere CS3.

I had no good useable audio from the ceremony which was unfortunate. I did not want to do a song over the entire video but really had no choice. Also, I wanted to include reception video & other stuff but that is a whole different can of worms because no footage was captured.

Also, my computer its just a tad bit too slow to actually render 1080 footage in real time. So I have to guess on timing a lot, rendered out the video over 7 times, just to see what the video actually looked like so I could make changes.

open to constructive criticism & opinions.

Paul Elertson
Regular Crew
Views: 1841
Old November 11th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: First attempt at Editing a Wedding video - Bash away!

I thought it was well done. I'm assuming that's all the video you had to work which is always a challenge because you're at the mercy of the videographer. I haven't done any formal wedding shoots so take my comments as more mental notes to myself and maybe you can use some of it. I'll let the more experienced folks give the useful advice. :)

1. This is more directed at the videographer. If they can choose a side and if at all possible, get the brides face in the shots at the alter.

2. Regarding editing, I have the same challenge when the distance isn't exactly right or there was shaking or the camera wasn't level and that's having to do digital zooms. It shows up in reduced quality. Like I said, it's what you had to work with and you did a great job.

3. Since there's vocals that have emotional lyrics I try to time key phrases with the video. For instance at 1:23 the lyrics are "But I will never do you wrong" and the pastor is on-screen. Seems like a great place to show the B or G looking at the other.

4. You touched on color correction which the inside shots look great. The opening shots outside look a little cool but it was cloudy so you may have been trying to convey that feeling.

Overall, nice job. I'm assuming you did some of the panning digitally which looked smooth. Keep up the great work.
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had no control over the video captured. The person hired actually had a second cameraman on the opposite side (facing the bride). However, this second shooter obviously never used a camcorder before and none of his footage was useable. Similarly is the reason for no reception footage. The person hired to shot actually did a good job with what he did capture, I was happy with most of his shots, but he needed a better game plan for the day and a second shooter that knew what he was doing. Again, a whole different bag of worm.

I should have put more thought into the step 3 you mention. Something to pay more attention to in the future.

No digital panning, the shooter had a slider.
Paul Elertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #4
New Boot

First Paul, Mazel Tov to you and Katie...it looks like you had a beautiful wedding. I'm a n00b at this myself but I have to agree you did a fine job. It looked smooth to me. I agree with Mr. Ohumukini's suggestions although honestly I was paying more attention to the video and the music more set the mood and the situation than anything else..at least to me. I probably need to get more detailed in that regard. I did like the choice of song though as it fit well but didn't draw attention away from the video. I also had to laugh at the end with the young girl wanting to join you on the alter...I'm glad that was captured. I would think videoing a wedding is a bit tricky because you want to get the shots, etc. without interfering with the event.
Wendy Sarrett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery