DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Shakin' things up a bit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/502884-shakin-things-up-bit.html)

Mark Davidson November 20th, 2011 07:05 PM

Shakin' things up a bit

Not sure if this is appropriate to share interesting finds here, but I thought this one was good. Perhaps I'm getting a little bored with the same old thing. If I see one more staged bride tapping her groom on the shoulder from behind I think I'm going to ralph.

Anyway, here it is:

Tim Bakland November 20th, 2011 07:25 PM

Re: Shakin' things up a bit

Very beautiful, Mark. Obviously quite beautifully filmed and edited with skill, energy and refreshing up-beat style.

On the meta-meta/philosophical level, I'd challenge your notion of what is "staged" or not. 10 years from now, you yourself might look back at this video and find it dated and even note elements that are staged. Styles are always changing (and your style is cutting edge, no question), but I wouldn't say it's completely unbound from being staged. As long as there are weddings and folks filming them like us, there'll be things that are staged in all of it. But you're doing your work beautifully, no doubt.

Tim Bakland November 20th, 2011 07:26 PM

Ah -- just reread your post and it seems that you were SHOWING a video you found interesting but didn't make yourself.

Anyway: same comments apply. I think it's beautiful, but still staged like the rest of us!

Mark Davidson November 20th, 2011 08:06 PM

No, no, I'm not that talented. It may be staged; yet, in my eyes it's refreshing and original art.

I would hope it's timeless.

What do you think he's using for lights on the reception dance footage?

Tim Bakland November 20th, 2011 08:52 PM

It's a good discussion, Mark. I still agree with you that this is very beautiful, but, like any other film, I'm afraid there *will* be elements that will seem dated in 10 years. That's just how it is! Think of any great movie out there -- not just wedding videos. On one level, sure, any great art is timeless (like Casablanca or The Graduate, or Kubrick) -- yet even there you can find dated elements.

In terms of the lighting -- it looks like a very good prime lens to me (in the reception) with maybe a little help from an LED when standing close enough to the dancers.

Ben Creighton November 21st, 2011 01:04 PM

No matter how you slice it, still a damn good video by any standards. I still like the 'Dirty Bit' wedding video better though. I'm sure everyone here has seen it...

Mark Davidson November 21st, 2011 06:15 PM

Actually I haven't Ben. A search for "dirty bit" didn't help.

Ben Creighton November 21st, 2011 07:28 PM

Okay, here you go...

Mark Davidson November 21st, 2011 08:26 PM

Wow, now that's different. Thanks for sharing.

This looks like something planned by the bride and groom as much or more than the videographer.

I believe I'd trade a ring shot for the guy at the urinal at the end.

Jeff Dinges November 27th, 2011 10:40 PM

It sounds like the dancing in the parks with their outfits on in front of the camera was the most enjoyable part of their wedding day. I feel bad for them.

Noel Lising December 5th, 2011 08:33 AM

I too was in a similar predicament. Looks like all wedding films looks the same nowadays until I saw this and got my inspiration back.