DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Pakistani dramatic wedding video (feedback please) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/510650-pakistani-dramatic-wedding-video-feedback-please.html)

Jose Ortiz September 11th, 2012 07:59 PM

Pakistani dramatic wedding video (feedback please)

Please Feedback!
2 Cinematographers
3 Days
3 Canon5dm2
Glidecam 4000
mini Klesler Crane

Sigmund Reboquio September 24th, 2012 06:22 PM

Re: Pakistani dramatic wedding video (feedback please)

Overall great video Jose

Since you asked for a feedback, I have a couple of suggestions that will help probably on your next edit // and this will probably will help me too actually on my next edits

Shots were great by the way no doubt.

@50:00 - You started with the toast/audio and it seems like it talks mostly (in general or summarizing it) about the bride. I dont know who is the bride or groom but the toaster refers to "she" so I would assume that she is talking about the bride. You opened it with a shot of the groom prepping, tying his garter etc. I felt that there is some disconnect already. I would suggest that you could put more shots of the bride, and maybe interaction of the toaster with her. maybe, eliminating some groom shots in the beginning.

@3:23 similar - the same girl talked about congratulating the b&g and I didnt see the connection. there were great shots of details such as chandelier, candles, dancers. I was hoping to see a shot of b&g reaction, or atleast about them// as the toaster said she is happy to have them in her life. with the shot of the chandelier I call that "killer shot" I would be so tempted to put that right away because thats a money shot, but I would suggest to put it appropriately or if it doesn't really make a connection to the audio, Id suggest saving it for your feature film or the longer version. But at this sequence, it didn't make sense to me atleast to put in between the walk. Unless, that chandelier is actually visible when the bride was walking, or atleast setting an establishing shot of where it is and how it was related to the walking of the bride and groom.

//i know that feeling when you have that money shot and we all can't wait to put it up and share it. but sometimes, it doesn't really make a connection to the overall story and I admit that I'd be tempted do that too because it is eye candy. for this example - chandelier, guys on the shades shot (killer shots by the way)

//the toasts only have a shot of the speaker, maybe it would help a bit if you also give us an establishing shot of where, who are listening, who are they facing, reaction of the bride and groom or atleast to show it once in the clip, so we know how big this wedding is. (with chandiliers, im pretty sure a wide of everything is epic here)

//emotion- you have a lot of emotional moments here, toast and candids, and even the walk. I suggest you pick a music where you can drop it at the right climax. or add another music. the music you chose didn't have a strong cresendo to it(peak), so the walk of the bride made it a little less stronger. there are lots of opportunities to make your clients cry here (and i know this is one of the intentions with two toasters shedding tears) and I think with the right music you'll be able to pull it off. Just make sure to connect all those moments together properly.

hope it helps : )

Jose Ortiz September 26th, 2012 07:14 AM

Thank you Sigmund!
I have to agreed with the comment of the (toast have only one speaker). would be nicer if you show more but is a live event and the entire room went dark with the exception of speaker and B&G. In this occasion for the movie preview I decided to just show the speaker. The rest of the comments I have to say that is most your personal taste of how the story have to be presented. ( I am one of those guys in the industry that never follows an equation on how the story has to be driven on the movie or how to push a shot just because looks beautiful or is a money shot) I am not saying that you were wrong. For example ...Yes a song with a more noticeable climax will make it easier but you still able to have a great climax in your story with any song or without a song at all.
Those are elements that I use and we discuss in my presentations to other videographers but in my opinion sometimes we get trapped in just few ways to send the message to the viewers and then we start having a repetition in our way to show the story.

Thank you again and don't feel I don't appreciate the comments or they are not valid. There is a lot learn for all of us and this forum put me where I am today with the help of a lot of the users here years ago. Very interesting to see your way to see the story for this video!

This following video is an example of how for some people would think maybe a lot of "typical" story details of the wedding video clips are missing here. The idea is to send a preview message of the entire story and making the video different and unique for that client. Sometimes I like to play with suspense of letting the viewers wait for more. I love when you watch those movie trailers from Hollywood an you get the curiosity to see more to find out what will be happening. Of course these are just previews of the final products.

Sigmund Reboquio September 27th, 2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Thank you Sigmund!
I have to agreed with the comment of the (toast have only one speaker). would be nicer if you show more but is a live event and the entire room went dark with the exception of speaker and B&G. In this occasion for the movie preview I decided to just show the speaker.

//first off, you asked for a feedback and I just thought I'd give one. I knew that giving a review like this will possibly get a response back like this.
thanks, I didn't know that it was a preview or trailer (it wasn't introduced on the video) // though even so it is still nice to see it there but its Ok since its a preview like you said. -again, this is both our subjective opinion so either is wrong. I agree.

Quote:

The rest of the comments I have to say that is most your personal taste of how the story have to be presented. ( I am one of those guys in the industry that never follows an equation on how the story has to be driven on the movie or how to push a shot just because looks beautiful or is a money shot) I am not saying that you were wrong. For example ...Yes a song with a more noticeable climax will make it easier but you still able to have a great climax in your story with any song or without a song at all.
//It could be of personal taste, but I thought when the toaster was talking about the bride, it would be nice to focus more on the bride. you started the shot with the groom. exception here ofcourse if you are trying to connect the groom somehow on that soundbyte. he was tying his garter, prepping, putting his shirt. - the soundbyte is --- "she", "she" she"- about 6-7 times. so here, i dont really get it how you are presenting the story.- i didnt get the connection. if there is a connection please let us know how it is making sense on the sequence 1:04-1:27 with the groom in there. if it is a certain technique in story telling you are trying to do please let us know us well.

//the song or no song at all - like you said can have a great climax on your story - if you think you have it on this one, you are right. In my opinion, your example above didn't get to that point. I thought, since the song put every shots to have an equal weight to it. chandelier, groom walk, bride walk. I would put more importance and weight on the bride walk. the guest anticipates the bride the entire day just for this walk. i didn't think the chandelier shot is important there, if it is, please let us know what it means or atleast what are you trying to convey with it putting in between a walk. is it a timeshift technique? if it is what does it tell in the story, where is that chandelier, hows it connected to the walk, etc...

// im one of those guys too, just like you who never follow an equation nor I am one of those guys who will comment a good thing like "awesome", brilliant", etc just to be friends with someone. Id like to help my peer so my peer can help me too thru constructive comments. i felt that here in the forum we are peers so when you asked for a feedback on your title, i thought "awesome and brilliant" will make you feel good but not better with how we create our films. so i took the time to watch your film. I never watch a film for such a long time, but i took time to look at yours coz i know it would be a great help and vice versa. if you think its not a help at all to you, i apologize in advance but it could help others reading here as well.

Quote:

Those are elements that I use and we discuss in my presentations to other videographers but in my opinion sometimes we get trapped in just few ways to send the message to the viewers and then we start having a repetition in our way to show the story. Thank you again and don't feel I don't appreciate the comments or they are not valid. There is a lot learn for all of us and this forum put me where I am today with the help of a lot of the users here years ago. Very interesting to see your way to see the story for this video!
//definitely, no harm here. i hope it didn't hurt your ego or anything. (specially you said that you do presentations). but don't get trapped into thinking that if you get great comments, do presentations, big in the industry, friends with most or well known, - that your work will always be perfect or flawless. i believe that there is room for improvement for all of us. i took the time to comment not to bash or make you look bad, I commented based on what i think would help you and others. im not getting paid to do it, im certainly not doing a workshop this year, we are not in the same area to compete, so why would I do it? I believe a peer should help a peer to improve - clients win on this one trust me. i would just take it either positive and negative comments and move on and go back to our editing room- would this make our work worse? NEVER- it will only get our film better and better.

i wish you luck on your presentations and i know you're doing a great job to where you are now. im not here to stir anything up, but my intention is to help in my own way.
i know id lose a friend or two here for sure, but thats ok : )

Jose Ortiz September 28th, 2012 01:11 PM

Hi Sigmund I think my point was mislead by you. People who knows me know that I am not an EGO type of guy. Do not misunderstand the fact of me trying to bring a point and discuss more in deep about your feedback.I think we both are having a learning experience from this post sharing our each point of view. You are very right about we all need to learn and nobody said any different. You don't have an idea on how much I learn from the people that I know in the business. Like I said earlier I appreciate your comment and I was looking for your good critic like you did. Sorry if my different point of view in some of your points made you have the impression the I have ego of was not well received by your person. I am the type of guy that is never happy with the work that I produce and I am always looking for get better and better.This forum made my business growth based on the critic of a lot of the members. I mentioned my presentation cause by coincidence in two weeks I have a presentation about storytelling and your feedback made me came with a point of discussion for that day based on your feedback. A lot of learning when we create a dynamic discussion of different ways to present stories or ways of interpretation of it.
Also the other second video example in my opinion is totally short of presenting the entire clear story of their event. I was trying to send and specific idea for the clients based on the specific event day..
Please see this discussion like an awesome way for both get involved in new ideas from our comments here. :)
I hope that we can meet one of these days chat more in person. Good luck in your projects and thank you!

Stelios Christofides October 6th, 2012 07:12 AM

I really enjoyed this video. well done.

Adrian Tan October 20th, 2012 03:54 PM

Hi,

I think one of the things I look for when watching any videos are shots that I don't do or don't commonly see, and I look for the creativity and the novelty of the idea (new to me anyway!). There were a lot of such shots I noticed in your video. As well as some shots that are more familiar to me but were executed well (eg using lens flare towards sunset on a couple).

Shots that stood out to me:

-- timelapse shot on shoes. Never seen this before. The actual framing isn't what I would have done, but the reflection, the clouds moving across, the creativity of the idea -- wow!
-- lighting on groom's face as he gets his jacket on -- beautiful
-- I liked the wider silhouette shot of the groom getting final touches ready. Liked the way the window framed them, etc.
-- angle of bride's face during make-up shot I found pretty interesting.
-- like the close-up of bride's chest as necklace drops on it
-- liked the over-the-shoulder framing as people are hugging
-- last but not least, epic reflection shot in sunglasses! I'm curious how much fiddling you needed to do to get this right (eg, putting everything in the right position; angling the sunglasses; fiddling with camera position; putting extra light on the sunglasses to enhance the reflection).