DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   9 months to get to this wedding! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/510898-9-months-get-wedding.html)

Sam Pat September 23rd, 2012 09:27 AM

9 months to get to this wedding!

Well, despite the title, It didn't take 9 months to shoot this wedding (it was just a 10 hour day), but it has certainly taken 9 months to learn all the technical aspects to get to actually making this and it's a huge personal accomplishment for me and something I wanted to share. I've spent a lot of that time learning here and reading back posts. I didn't even know wedding cinematography existed until I was a guest at a wedding last year and saw Erik Andersen (on this forum) perform his genius for my friends Danny and Mei. I was shocked and inspired and wanted to shoot and make something of my own. No idea how, but I wanted it!

I mean... 9 months ago I barely knew how to use a DSLR. I had a tiny Panasonic GH1. I switched to Canon. Learned to use Canon. Bought a ton of lenses. Learned to use a monopod. Learned to use a Steadicam. Learned to edit. Started on FCP7. Transitioned to CS6. Got and learned to use slider, tripod, crane, audio, lavs, wireless lavs, etc etc. Assembled a small team to shoot my B and C cameras. Begged for work and did some for free. Got ignored or rejected sometimes. Emptied my savings buying gear, gear and then still more gear. I'm obsessed and have fallen head first into the rabbit hole.

All I really wanted to do was to shoot a really satisfying wedding for me personally, perhaps even more so than shooting it for the couple. Satisfying to me technically and creatively and something I was proud of. Just a personal goal that I'd been harbouring for what feels like a long time, but it's actually only been 9 months. Finally, I've done it.

So anyway, you probably don't care about all this, but here it is. The couple and all their friends were ecstatic, so that felt really amazing as well! Thanks for the inspiration and all the good archived posts whenever I had a question that needed answering... right now! Thanks to Erik for all his early help and for pointing me to this forum! This is a fantastic resource.

Sam

Allan Black September 23rd, 2012 03:46 PM

Re: 9 months to get to this wedding!

Congratulations excellent video Sam, they should be very happy. Great camera work and pacing with the editing.

The music propels it along nicely and bringing in the celebrants voice first works well. You've portrayed the excitement and happiness of the event extremely well.

The only thing I'd add would be opening credits and a day/month/year, for future generations to appreciate and enjoy.

Better ramp up the production pace and get a rate card together, you got the knack :)

Cheers.

Sam Pat September 24th, 2012 09:54 PM

Thank you SO much for taking the time to watch and post those comments, Allan. I feel very very encouraged!

Victor Boyko October 9th, 2012 06:51 AM

What kind of Steadicam were you using for the church sits. What setting/camera/lens? Those are my favorite

Adrian Tan October 13th, 2012 05:10 PM

Loved the steadicam stuff -- epic exterior shots in particular. That steadicam coverage you got when the bridal party entered reception possibly peed the photographer off, but I'm glad you captured the moment.

Interesting slider shot on bridesmaids and bride walking down the aisle. I think it's the first time I've seen it.

Great slider shots to establish reception. I like that many of your slider shots aren't straight slides, but have something extra. Slide plus tilt, or slide plus pull focus, etc.

Looks like a dark church. Good coverage there.

I like the way you sometimes lead into things diagonally, like to the ring shot at the end.

Seems to me you got natural, unstaged moments, using zoom lenses to do so. Am I right? So there's a warmth there that "cinematic" videos might often be lacking in, with the trade-off being that the image isn't prime-sharp, and sometimes focus is a little off, etc, because it's unstaged and you have to shoot fast. I personally thing this is a necessary trade-off and I prefer the warmth; but up to you what you're going for.

By the way, I haven't been shooting weddings long -- about two years. But I think your work is better than mine.

Clive McLaughlin October 18th, 2012 10:01 AM

Some of these outside shots are gorgeous. Was it 'steadycam' though? Theres tilt in these shots. Surely 'steadycams' can only show footage straight ahead, not up into the sky and trees? I'd love to know how you did this?