Criticism for my wedding video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old March 8th, 2013, 08:22 PM  
Criticism for my wedding video
Derek Chan Derek Chan is offline March 8th, 2013, 08:22 PM

Hello guys!

I'm very new to the wedding industry.
Me and my wife established 'Oi Studio', our wedding cinematography team this mid January.

I started video editing around 10 years ago.
However, me and my wife had 0 experience on shooting until this December when we went to a workshop from the cinematography team that shot our wedding.

This is our 2nd wedding video.
Can you guys give me any criticism in terms of editing or shooting technique?

link:

Thank you guys!

Derek
Cinematographer

Derek Chan
New Boot
Views: 3037
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Criticism for my wedding video

Hi Derek,
I watched your video on a loop and I loved it. Good job to you both. I particularly enjoyed the story-telling. It is, after all, what is important.

However, since it's criticism you ask for, here goes…

Composition/Framing
A few of the shots could have been better composed. A few examples being Roberto at 1:22 (looking screen right), at 2:19 (shooting up the nose), at 3:26 (no look space), at 4:44 (no head room) and at 4:49 (no head room and subject centre-framing).

Screen Direction
At 4:53, subject approaches screen right but enters the frame screen left in the next shot, breaking the flow.

That said, I really loved it.
Omar Idris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #17
Major Player

well done, and yes the focus was a bit distracting for me, i've tried to use DSLRs but i've almost given up! cant get it to a point that i'd be happy with!
Looking at the Sony NEX-EA50 but i'm wondering will that present more focusing issues than i want!

overall a lovely vid.
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Rob

Pop in on the EA-50 forum if you are interested...I'm using both mine as conventional cameras and focus is magic ...Yep I had much the same result with DSLR's ...after trying my Panny GH1 at a wedding I gained a VERY healthy respect for the guys that shoot on DSLR ...however the EA50 is totally different in operation ..you can get the shallow DOF where you need it without the focus issues!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:58 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
VERY healthy respect for the guys that shoot on DSLR ...however the EA50 is totally different in operation ..you can get the shallow DOF where you need it without the focus issues!
I partly agree with this, the ea50 works in exactly the same way as any other dslr and poses the same issues with focus because of the shallower dof, even with the stocklens, but you do have much more focus aids like magnification, peaking, spotfocus and facedetection. You also have the autofocus on sony lenses but I would only trust autofocus on a ea50 if I had a widelens on but never with a faster lens.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

With a faster lens like the SEL50F18 the camera focuses very quickly actually BUT the issue depending on distance is still DOF ...if you are fairly close like 15' away the DOF range at F1.8 is a tiny bit scary!!

I still find with weddings the stock lens does a good job in auto and at F3.5 I normally have enough DOF not to be concerned ...what I found with primes at weddings the camera doesn't really know where to focus and may lock onto a group of people behind the couple you want it too so that's where spot focus works really well!! I tried a Sigma F2.8 19mm for my Realty shoots and it also focusses fast but again with DOF being smaller at F2.8 it had to work harder. Based on the fact that if you are 10' from people at wedding receptions at F3.5 and full wide you are pretty darn safe as you have over 20' to play with ..6' in front and 27' behind

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #21
Inner Circle

That I agree about, as long as you keep it wide it should not be much of an issue but it will be as soon as you zoom in, even with f-stops above 3.5. Even with this slow lens this camera produces more shallow dof then most 1/3 inch sensor fixed lens camera's. You should often check using peaking or the magnifier just to be sure.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #22
Major Player

hi Chris,
yeah i've been watching the evolution of the NEX-EA 50 for some time now, the lack of ND filters is a bit of a thing for me. I do like the shots that people are achieving out of this cam. The focusing challenge I guess is helped by peaking, magnification face detection etc. and of course practice/skill.
Any opportunity i get i have been attempting to get footage with a 5D but for me at any rate it's been a hit and miss affair mostly in low light settings!
The price pint of this camera is appealing, i'm watching the exchange rates as we speak, dont know if i should hold out longer and see if they'll bring out an 'enhanced' version ;-)
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi Rob

The only thing that ND's really do on a big sensor camera is allow DOF control. With an APSC sensor you don't have the image degradation that you get on a 1/4" or 1/3rd " CMOS chip set....I have shot wedding ceremonies and guests outdoors at F16 and the picture is perfect ..of course you do lose your small DOF as it's in focus right to infinity. I actually keep focus peaking on all the time!! That tells me exactly what the cam is focussing on.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery