DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   I don't do these often..... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/515823-i-dont-do-these-often.html)

Gerald Webb April 15th, 2013 06:01 AM

I don't do these often.....

I don't do weddings often, so I'm after any feedback that may help with my growth in the genre.
This is only a highlights but gives an indication on what I'm trying to do (note, trying. lol).
I love capturing the emotions of the day. I still can't believe that most people still prefer to have photos rather than video capture of their special day... a rant for another time.
Anyway,

Adrian Tan April 15th, 2013 07:30 AM

Re: I don't do these often.....

I liked some of the bride's laughs in the morning, some of the post-ceremony over-the-shoulders of the bride, and the circular sweep of the crowd at the end. Loved the big close-up of the bride as she walked down the aisle; I've never dared to do a shot like that.

Brilliant that you got a reaction shot of parents as she walked down the stairs. I very often miss this. And good coordination that your second shooter stayed out of sight while you were filming from the bottom, and vice versa.

Only things I wanted to mention as being not to my taste (your mileage will vary) -- I'm not sold on all the vignettes, and I do find all the flash transitions a little eye-straining. (Do you really hate straight cuts and dissolves that much? What have they ever done to you?!)

Looks like solid coverage to me. A lot more stable and in focus than my dodgy footage. Doesn't look like you don't do weddings often.

Gerald Webb April 15th, 2013 07:09 PM

Thanks Adrian,
That was my third wedding, feel like I'm still making very noob mistakes though. Another few and I may not be a nervous wreck the whole day.
I just had a look at some of your work, they are just outstanding, the Ivana and Frank clip is amazing. Can I ask what gear you are using?
I work alone unless I can get a family member to give me a hand, shots like the Bride on the stairs are just a polite "Do you mind doing that again", to get both angles.
The additive dissolves and vignette are just me trying to copy work I admire, point noted though. I dont even notice the flashing now, lol.
I had to chuckle, was reading the thread you started about using a third cameraman, and everyone saying they didnt feel there would be enough room in the church, (which I can relate to after my shoot last weekend), but watching your videos you seem to get gigs in massive venues/churches. 5 or 6 shooters could work if still profitable. Weddings really do come in all shapes and sizes.
edit. Saw your list of gear at the bottom of that post, 5D's all round.
cheers.

Adrian Tan April 15th, 2013 08:33 PM

Gerald, thanks for the kind words.

If you're making mistakes, I didn't see any! Looked like a professional job.

Re venues, maybe I'm spoiled. That cathedral in one of the clips -- I've shot there only twice, so it's not like every place I shoot is huge. Most of them tend to be more like the size of the church in your video I think. But I was very surprised to see the size of some of the UK churches, and also surprised when Chris suggested in one of these threads that he often doesn't have room for a tripod on the dance floor. So, yep, maybe I'm spoiled...

Gear... Added the basic info in an edit. My shooting partner and I are constantly fighting a losing battle to reduce the amount of crap we lug around. A more complete list is something like:

-- Bodies: 2x MkIIs, 2 x MkIIIs.
-- Lenses: 24-105, 100 macro, 100-400, 16-35, 24-70, two x 70-200, 50, 85.
-- Support: tripods x 4, monopod, slider, Merlin.
-- Sound: 2 x Tascam DR100, 2 x Yamaha C24, 3 x Roland R-05, 2 x Sony UVP wireless, 3 x Tram TR-50, 2 x Shure dynamic microphones, 1 x NTG1, 4 x Rode VMP, 2 x microphone stands.
-- Lighting: LEDs -- 2 x Switronix Torchbolt, 1 x dodgy Hong Kong eBay, 1 x rotolight, 2 x light stands.
-- Misc: Zacuto Z-finder, Zacuto EVF, CamRanger, Heliopan vari-ND, Nexto drive for backup.

Roger Gunkel April 16th, 2013 09:26 AM

Some great shots in there although I do agree with Adrian that the flash transitions are quite annoying. There were a few burnt out shots on the dress before the ceremony, but generally the balances were good.

Just one question as you say you work alone, how did you get the low level shots of the couple during the ceremony and the zoom from the balcony at the back? Do you move about and shoot only parts of the ceremony?

Roger

Gerald Webb April 16th, 2013 06:20 PM

hi Roger,
I capture the Ceremony in realtime with all audio, last week I was lucky to have my son available to give me hand for a few hrs.
I would normally put 2 unmanned cams up on the mezzanine (or a high tripod, 2.5m) and leave them running. One at a wide shot, and one a bit tighter. With capturing at 1080p and then dropping in a SD comp, the amount of zooms you can do in post with no noticeable resolution loss are quite good.

Roger Gunkel April 17th, 2013 04:59 PM

Always interesting to see how others work Gerald. I almost always work solo too, but I think I would find it difficult to get all the shots I wanted immediately before and after the ceremony if I had to set up and take down an extra two cameras.

Roger

Gerald Webb April 18th, 2013 12:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep, I got caught the first time setting up then tearing down, so, I made this- see pic.
I have cams already mounted and ready to go (white balance, shutter etc all locked off), and in the back of my van. So on arrival at the church, just grab the rack and tripod, quick connect, make any necessary adjustments if I have to, and leave them running. Then grab b4 we leave to go for photo shoot.
Its a rough and ready way to do it, but its working so far. I do the same for dances/ eisteddfods.
The rack is just an old 450mm aluminium level with booker rod and nuts and washers to pull down the cams.

Keith Dobie April 18th, 2013 12:34 PM

Very nice work. Be sure to check AU copyright laws re: use of pop/commercial music. Good luck!