My Second Wedding Film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:45 PM   #1
My Second Wedding Film
Noah Ruderman Noah Ruderman is offline July 3rd, 2013, 12:45 PM

I appreciate everyone who watched and commented on my first wedding film I posted in May. Just finished editing my second film and would love your thoughts.

Just like my first this was a single shooter/single camera shoot. Challenging for sure, but that's what makes it fun sometimes. That's not to say I won't be employing a 2nd cameraman in the future as I start to (hopefully) get more paying jobs.

Thanks

Noah Ruderman
Regular Crew
Views: 2947
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: My Second Wedding Film

Good films for being the only shooter. Good colors and compositions most of the time. I like how you use music and narrations to push the story.

My only complaint is that the light streaks effect at the beginning and end looks like dog doo doo. It looks fake because you don't see random light streaks without atmosphere.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for watching & your critique...much appreciated.

As for your comment about the light streaks, I was actually going for an unreal, almost dreamlike/heavenly look for those shots..but I definitely understand where you're coming from. I'm still learning & (hopefully) improving with each shoot.
Noah Ruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well done. I do think the rays were a bit much, but I enjoyed the video. However, I think you will have to work pretty hard to improve with each shoot, as your one in May was very impressive.
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Noah, I don't understand how the wedding in May was your first wedding films, it's amazing.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Trustee

No real comments, Noah. But I have to say I liked the light rays! Also, there's something interesting about the picture profile or the grade on some of the shots -- the saturated look with blueish shadows. Reminds me a bit of Lightform picture profile on Canon DSLRs.

Last edited by Adrian Tan; July 5th, 2013 at 01:25 AM. Reason: typo
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for watching and commenting...While that was my first wedding film, it was definitely not my first film. I've been shooting & editing since high school (and I'm 37 now), so having that experience was invaluable.

It's interesting how polarizing the light effects in that shot have been. Whether people liked or didn't like them, they seem to be the one thing everyone mentions. The bride absolutely loved it but of course others didn't...I think in the end it's definitely a personal choice kind of thing. I completely understand both sides.

As far as improving as I move forward, I guess my main step I need to take is to employ a second shooter & edit with multiple cameras. There's a certain rush from shooting solo, but no matter how much I can fake it with editing, having that second angle for certain parts of the day is invaluable.

Adrian, this was shot with VisionColors Cinelook which I really like. For much shots, I only needed to do minimal grading. I'm still experimenting with picture styles and may try others in the future, but so far this is my favorite for weddings. It's funny you should mention lightform, I was actually going to try that style next. Have you tried their Cinebooster style? The samples are impressive.
Old July 5th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Regular Crew

It's definitely the bride's opinion that counts!
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Major Player

It's really very good. Keep on doing what you are doing.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks, I'll try. Appreciate you watching!
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Wow. I just did my very first video ever and I got a lot of great ideas from this. I need more practice on the audio side :/
Nick Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #12
Trustee

Much better. I also don't like the rays at all. Have you considered lens whacking for when you want a dreamy/fantasy look?

Outside of that, literally the only thing I might have changed was slipping their faces into the earlier vows a little, and even that seems like an option, not a critique. Your pacing and flow was pretty good.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Reuter View Post
Wow. I just did my very first video ever and I got a lot of great ideas from this. I need more practice on the audio side :/
Thanks Nick! Glad I could help in some way. I saw you posted your first time on another thread so I will check it out. As for audio, I used a very easy & affordable option that I highly recommend. The H1 recorder in the grooms pocket (or Tascam if that is what you have) with the Giant Squid lav mic (Omnidirectional Mono Microphone.) Really gives great quality audio. Putting one on the officiant is also a good idea, which is what I'm doing now.

I generally set the levels manually beforehand (I don't like auto) and keep the grooms a bit higher to cover the bride. You'll still have to pump her levels in post probably.
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
Much better. I also don't like the rays at all. Have you considered lens whacking for when you want a dreamy/fantasy look?

Outside of that, literally the only thing I might have changed was slipping their faces into the earlier vows a little, and even that seems like an option, not a critique. Your pacing and flow was pretty good.
Thanks! What do you mean by lens whacking?

It's funny, I still get crazy responses about those light rays on both ends. I should have my 3rd film ready soon. I really appreciate you watching.
Old August 19th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Ruderman View Post
Thanks! What do you mean by lens whacking?

It's funny, I still get crazy responses about those light rays on both ends. I should have my 3rd film ready soon. I really appreciate you watching.
I think it's that the light rays are too distracting. It's all I want to look at.

Lens whacking is, with a DSLR, don't connect the lens to the body. You hold it close by, sometimes one end of the lens pressed against the body, and allow additional light in via both the lens and the open body.

It takes some practice (focusing is a trick), but you get some beautiful effects with natural light. I am practicing it around the house, and will be trying it at some save the date shoots, or during posed pictures.

NOT my work:

Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery