Critiques please, highlight video. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old September 26th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Critiques please, highlight video.
James Palanza James Palanza is offline September 26th, 2013, 12:44 PM

Alright, so far I've got a small list of things to improve on for my next big wedding, but I'd like to see some other peoples thoughts and turn it into a big list! Constructive please, its still a learning process every time.

James Palanza
Major Player
Views: 2045
Old September 26th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Critiques please, highlight video.

I liked that a lot - and its not often I say that about highlights reels especially with time-shifting :- )

Just a couple of relatively minor points in the edit: The start of the video startled me as the audio is not faded in. Perhaps you'll be putting a studio logo or suchlike at the start? The time shifting switching between the ceremony in full swing and the girls getting off the trailer seemed a little awkward to me. One or two clips a little too short e.g. I felt I wanted to see more of the wedding party lined up at the start of the ceremony but no sooner was it on screen than it was gone, MTV style.

But yes, nice.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Pete, I see what you are saying. Yeah the beginning, good point. I wasn't entirely sure how to start it off and it shows. I think maybe a slower start with some broad location shots might be better next time. Yeah time shifting is new to me but it kind of keeps things fresh in a way so I'm giving it a go. Somehow my footage of the guys lined up was a total mess so I was a little stuck there. I had a lot on my mind that day trying to nail everything and some aspects suffered. I'm also struggling a bit in the video with the "look", going from some nicely washed out sunny shots to darker stuff.
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi James

My impression of this video is that the work on the video is being let down a little by the editing of the audio. I think I would be right in suggesting that during the vows the mic was on the celebrant. The audio level of his voice was significantly higher than that of the B&G. I noticed that there were nice clear gaps between everyone's dialogue, so could I suggest balancing the audio levels in this section. Also the audio level in the speeches was a little high.

I thought the level of audio of the tractor was spot on.

I would be pleased to be able to create a video like this, I am still learning too.

Cheers

Tim
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Tim, good point about the audio. Actually the mic was on the groom. That in mind, I can hear the issue you are pointing out. I think I'm going to attempt to start micing both the groom and priest, pastor, etc. The groom I believe was just speaking very softly. Audio truly brings video to life so I certainly need to continue to focus more on it.
Old September 27th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Major Player

James - nice work! A few nits as mentioned but the overall edit had a very good feel for me. A few of the outdoor shots ( close-up of bride at alter) seemed washed out, I know how hard it is to get exposure right on outdoor weddings in full sun! Maybe a little more color correction to punch up the contrast, Overall great job, I'm sure your client loved this!

Art
Old September 27th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Trustee

I like it too. Her color at the beginning is... um, a shame. She looks burnt. At first I thought it was your color, then I saw everyone else.

We switched to 6 audio sources: 3 cameras each have a shotgun mic for syncing and in case of emergency; 3 pocket recorders for the groom, pastor, and readers. OR, I can put a shotgun mic on a pocket recorder and stash it somewhere.

We got a really nice matchstick microphone for the grooms. It's all but invisible and we can put it behind their tie, shirt, or in the color using fabric tape and it never shows up in pictures.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks guys, yeah shooting into the sun can be rewarding but also difficult to manage. I'm going to buy some filters to try and see how they effect things outside. Robert, yeah I think you have a good thing going with the auto. I'm going to get some videomic pro's I think as well as one more recorder/lav setup. Do you find it difficult to locate a spot to mic the officiant? With all those robes on I'm wondering where I would put the recorder haha.
Old September 27th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Trustee

James, I find the officiants are used to doing it themselves. Otherwise near the collar does fine.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Thats a good point, I should probably get some sort of waist band clip to put my recorders in for those situations, Id imagine they are used to a pack that clips on the waist versus something in their pocket.
Old September 27th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Trustee

A couple of points if I may! Try to start your trailers with impact and emotion more scenery slides or top venue shots rather than go straight into faces. Check out your framing? Some heads chopped of in places grooms head in half when they kiss, other people half in the frame when you are showing bride and groom, even if that does not matter, close in on bride and groom rather than have other peoples heads cut off. Try to close in on some shots that are medium and wide. Overall good job as use guys say... steve

Wedding Videography & Photography Cheshire Liverpool | Capture Your Moments Weddings | Home
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery