DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   The art of a good speech (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/519441-art-good-speech.html)

Luke Oliver October 11th, 2013 09:10 AM

The art of a good speech

It a rare occasion I hear meaningful speeches at weddings but they make a great addition for the highlights. I have not posted here for a while and while the season for me is coming to an end i thought i would share my recent highlights film with my new glidecam 4000, way way better then the Merlin . I hope you enjoy

Tim Lewis October 14th, 2013 07:38 AM

Re: The art of a good speech

Nicely done Luke and a great use of a good speech.

Noa Put October 14th, 2013 07:48 AM

Looks great Luke and yes, a meaningful speech can make a lot of difference when making a trailer. Can I ask what camera you use on your glidecam 4000? Think the glide shots looked great as well, also, is there a reason why you choose the 4000 over the 2000?

John Nantz October 14th, 2013 12:00 PM

Luke - that was a really nice video. There were a number of interesting shots and edits there that some of us aspiring videographers (is that the correct term?) can learn to do. Nice color and/or color balancing.

Questions: Did you use any lights or reflectors? The lighting was really good.

There were some really good angle shots, too. Speaker talking with bride in background, bride looking at iPad, to name a couple I remember.

I'm also curious about the GlideCam question above. I've had the 2000 for awhile but haven't really had the chance to use it because I've got a few things to figure out and practice with it and I've been too busy. My main problem is trying to combine an on-camera mic instead of using the camera microphone. I haven't got the off-camera mic with recorder solution resolved yet and I know this would help with the dynamics.

N i c e job!

Edit: Spelled "mic" with a period after it and when posted it came out "mice" so I had to spell it out completely as "microphone". Weird.

Clive McLaughlin October 14th, 2013 01:54 PM

Luke, don't overstate the speech. The speech is good. But YOU are great. I'd be singing your praises even if the speech wasn't in the audio.

Like others, I'd really appreciate hearing about your gear.

David Barnett October 14th, 2013 01:55 PM

Nice job. Very classy speech as well. A little off subject, imho the sisters typically give the best speeches. When they talk about being young & hating each other, fighting, then growing apart & missing their best friend. Some of the groomsmen ones get tiring. We drank underage, got in trouble, blah blah blah. Been there, done that, nailed it shut. Hate the long ones that aren't even speeches just storytelling.

Katie Fasel October 14th, 2013 02:04 PM

I agree, the speech is great, but the work is amazing! Very nice job. Mind telling us what the music is?

Art Varga October 15th, 2013 06:37 AM

Beautifully done Luke!

Luke Oliver November 6th, 2013 03:53 AM

Hey Guys, sorry for not replying for so long.

The music is a mix of 2 tracks off the music bed, could you tell when the mix occurred ? Hopefully not.

If you search wedding highlights, uplifting positive , i think its somewhere in there but I cant remember the exact name.

In regards to the Glide cam I got the 4000 mainly because it can take larger cameras and im sure some day, perhaps next year, I will invest in a c100 or c300 and given the extra weight the 4000 seemed like a more logical longterm investment, plus i think the extra size adds more inertia and could perhaps give you a smoother glide but its mainly down to practice practice and practice. I shoot everything on my 5diii and have a 60d as back up which i have yet to even use. I never use light reflectors given that I shoot documentary, its the only way weddings should be shot in my personal opinion. Lighting at a dance if it is seriously dark.

To fly I use the 24-105 and 5diii. Its great to fly wide then re adjust zoom and focus to cut to those close up ( mainly to around 70-90) Its hard, you have to be very fast and it doesn't always work but practice makes perfect, plus you will sweat like a pig. Not all weddings allow for the glide cam. This highlights i was lucky that the bedroom was huge so I had plenty of room to move around. In a small area ( like most bedrooms) i just don't think its very discreet and a little off-putting for the bride getting ready . My main angel is documentary so i don't like to be too in your face. Picking the time to fly for bridal prep shots is very important, when everyone is busy or so on. If they are just standing around and you are flying around with the 4000 everyone looks stiff and awkward.
steadicam
I then just slide the 5diii off and straight onto the mono pod, again with the 24-105 , sometimes getting the 70-200 in for a couple of close ups and perhaps some 50 1.4 for some makeup when they have their eyes closes. Again , its about knowing how close to get and when to do it. Thats my main set up really. If i have time during dinner i will go out and get some slider shots of the surroundings but being a solo shooter i need to be light . Carrying around a slider, tri pod and glidecam at bride prep is possible but you look plain stupid running around a wedding and stand out like a sore thumb. Its just not necessary. If i feel the the client is relaxed and the space is given i will add a few fly shots, if not ill just stick to my mono pod. If I had 2 of me i would would fly all day as I love the look.

Because I am 6ft 3 i have the full 105 extension tilted down just ever ever so slightly, when i retract it to 24, the steadicam sits just about level. With the merlin I used to have this was THE biggest ball ache in the entire world, the 4000 or 2000 is just a much much better tool. Hope this answers all the questions

Luke