6th Wedding - Critique at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old November 8th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #1
6th Wedding - Critique
Glen Frank Glen Frank is offline November 8th, 2013, 02:50 AM

hi all, still very new to the game, so would like some comments (positive feedback please) to help me build my experience and develop further........thanks for looking !

Glen Frank
New Boot
Views: 2757
Old November 8th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: 6th Wedding - Critique

Hi Glen,
it's not bad at all for someone who's starting out. You've got a nice mixture of shots there.
There is one problem though, I think you've shot the wedding in 25p and then you've slowed it down (unless it's my computer playing up!). I don't think that's a good idea as the image begins to look jerky. Try filming in 50p if you want slowmo.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #3
Trustee

I'm a fan of slow motion but that slow mo looks ridiculous. Jerky footage like that isn't acceptable ... I would only use it as a 'life saver' if I only had a few seconds of an essential shot that I needed, otherwise for slo mo work you NEED to be filming at 50p.

Have the couple/family seen this yet? you might get a complaint about that slo mo.

Otherwise it's a good piece of work with a variety of shots. The colour grading is nice too. Not dull like you usually see.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #4
New Boot

thanks, yes the slowmo is always a bit of a drag, but i use a 600d for a lot of the shots so no chance of 50p on that ;-( i do have a locked off mc50 for church and speeches - so dont use that for slowmo obviously..........will simply filming in 50p make all the difference???
Glen Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #5
New Boot

been told that my 600d can do 720p at 50fps, so if i set shutter speed to 1/100 i should then be able to slow down in vegas faitly simply.....quick quesiton would it be easier to use all my cameras on 720p setting (regardless of 25p/50p/50i etc) , or shoot all others in 1080p, which will then drop onto a 720p timeline and enable me to zoom if needed...................
Glen Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Trustee

If it means you won't get that juddery image. You are definitely better off shooting at 720p.

Are you delivering on blu ray or DVD ? or both ?

Either way, a good edit of 720p footage will be much better for you (unless you want to completely change the camera you use and upgrade).

I've seen awful 1080p edits and film-like cinematic 720p edits because the camera man knows what settings to use and makes good use of available light and so forth.

Definitely film in 50p 720p if your going to slow down footage a lot as that juddery image is letting you down big time.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Major Player

Glen,
I have a 700d and if I want to use slomo I use 720p 50. In the ceremony I use 1080p 25 as the crop is more important for me in a church. I edit in 720p 25 as evrything gts put on a DVD here and a 720 mov is more than enough for a computer. So in answer to your questions, I change throughout the day but remember to keep an eye on what setting you are using and the shutter speed.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Also bear in mind that 720p will give you a noticeable resolution hit and adds even more moire, in the worst case it will look bad but 720p 50p slows down much better then 1080p 50p.

If you want 50p with intention to slow down and a high quality image then it's better to get a camera then can give you that, like the panasonic gh3 can. It was one of the reasons why I switched from the 550d to a gh3, my slowmotion footage on the steadicam with the gh3 are like night and day now compared to my 550d.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #9
Trustee

If you have good software, 1080/25p can be slowed down without too much trouble.

After Effects - use the Time Warp - set the quality to 100% and it takes a while but is generally pretty good.

FCPX / Motion - make sure you turn on Optical Flow.

Twixtor

Not everything can be slowed down without artefacts, but most footage can to the point where anyone watching that doesn't know what they are looking for will never have a problem.

I've slowed some 1080/25p down to 10% and it looked awesome while others have had a problem going to only 50%. You have to try each clip to see how it goes.
Old February 15th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #10
Major Player

I've only just joined and have yet to shoot my first wedding (that's in April). My recommendation would be to try to make the most of the natural light from windows in your earlier shots... I know this is from an amateur perspective, but even just turning the chair for the make up would have made a world of a difference as far as I can tell... maybe just me though. Otherwise, enjoyed it, particularly the end, you finished stronger than you started by quite some margin I think... and that's because the emotion of the day began to pour through.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #11
Major Player

I actually think that, given that music and feel of the shots, and the colors, I would try it *without* the slow-mo.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery