DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Quiet wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/520074-quiet-wedding.html)

Adrian Tan November 16th, 2013 08:54 AM

Quiet wedding

Very atypical wedding for me, basically more like a cocktail party, finishing at 8pm. No speeches, small bridal party, small number of guests, no bridal dance. Not really any general dancing either (some girls danced for about a minute).

No one from the groom's side, other than the best man (groom's family is from Louisiana, and no one could make the trip to Australia... By the way, groom tried to set up Skype on a laptop at the church, but had connection problems).

Any criticism welcome. I know there's dodgy out of focus parts and dodgy shaky parts, gear in shot, etc. Also, the pacing in the reception candids section is too fast, but anyway...

By the way, any shot that looks sort of like steadicam is actually monopod or Steddiepod... and I think you can really tell the difference between those and a proper steadicam.

Tom Sessions November 16th, 2013 09:21 AM

Re: Quiet wedding

For what little you had to work with, you did a great job....perfect music for the shots you have...simple intimate and uncomplicated...people just experiencing little moments of the day.

Arthur Gannis November 16th, 2013 09:37 AM

Nice, very nice. Don't we all wish weddings are as simple as that. ?

James Manford November 16th, 2013 10:17 AM

Like that very much.

Don't we all wish weddings were as simple as that!

What camera / lens setup did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Adrian Tan November 16th, 2013 03:43 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys.

James -- three 5dMk3s and two 5dMk2s. Lenses were Canon 16-35, 24-105, 24-70, two x 70-200, 100-400, 100mm macro.

Erick Munari November 17th, 2013 01:58 PM

I like it. The editing pace is good and captures genuine emotions, it seems, nice people, cute couple. Makes any mistakes forgivable. Good job.

Adrian Tan November 17th, 2013 06:51 PM

Thanks Erick!

I guess it'a always a juggling act... or I find it is anyway... between technically good shot and interesting content. I'm not sure I'll ever make a technically perfect wedding video.

Tim Bakland November 17th, 2013 06:56 PM

Great job and nicely done sticking to the simplicity of the day.
Did you consider leaving in some ambient sound (as with the last shots) -- such as the vows?

Yes -- I agree that it's so nice once in a while to have a good 'ol simple wedding.

Adrian Tan November 18th, 2013 03:15 PM

Cheers Tim.

Ambient sound -- I spent a bit of time worrying about this while editing. In particular, brides always say that they like hearing vows over the top of trailer videos.

So I experimented, but in the end wasn't satisfied. One thing is that I didn't want to break the spell of the music. Another is that the video is fairly fast paced, and that seemed to not go with vow sound or general ambient sound. I haven't counted the cuts, but it's got to be something like 150 cuts over 180 seconds. So the mood from cut to cut and sequence to sequence changed fast enough that it didn't seem to fit with the continuity of vow sound, or with the little blips of sound that using a lot of on-camera sound might have given.

But I don't know! Your taste will vary.

Steve Bleasdale November 19th, 2013 01:38 AM

Adrian it was very good well done. My two pence worth is to like Tim says have a little bit of low fun sound or talking in the background, bit of fun like a card read out or a joke or a really decent comment then move the pace away from the sound fast on the beat. I have done a few this year which I found boring, no dance no speeches so I used a 2 minute fast song and the edit was quick and to the point of just showing the bear minimum... But well done it was a great song but though it could have been a faster song. This was one where you would think it was buzzing but it was far from it and I pulled the bones from the wedding, the speeches where a real jokey affair and cut to the best bits and then raised the music at certain times to then go with the song. steve

Adrian Tan November 19th, 2013 04:23 PM

Hey Steve, I can see you're doing some interesting things to do with changing on the beat. And you're right that it does seem like a buzzing wedding from your clip. Thanks for posting that!