4K wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old December 20th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #1
4K wedding
Adrian Tan Adrian Tan is offline December 20th, 2013, 03:35 AM

I think I'm late to the party. Has everyone seen this already?

And here's the blog about it:

Untitled Film Works

Adrian Tan
Trustee
Views: 2236
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 4K wedding

It's impressive to see how well the camera handles the harsh highlights on these outdoorshots, I calculated the budget on their gear (2 bodies and sets of lenses as listed on vimeo) which adds up to 36500 euro, this is a ridiculously high amount for weddingvideography but if you are a 10K + weddingvideographer that's what I would expect as client you would be using. I"m sure it will take at least another 3-4 years before I will be upgrading all my camera's to 4K.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Trustee

I'm toying with offering "Ultra-HD" as another package.

A 1DC can be rented for $400/day around here, so it's not all bad; you just build that into the package cost. Lenses... I don't know. My first reaction would be to try to shoot 4K through the zooms I already have. Maybe it's a sin to shoot 4K through anything other than primes, or maybe zooms would ameliorate the "image is too sharp" factor that people sometimes complain about. I'd be curious to find out.

Interesting that Joffe points out that he has to use different support gear (sliders, etc) to cope with the added weight, so that's another "hidden" cost.

The real pain, though, would be media cost and how to handle all this stuff in post (including hardware requirements). I'm surprised Joffe only had 3 hours worth of cards with him between two shooters (about $4000 from B&H). Madness, especially for a long Greek ceremony. But at least he shows that it's doable, with two laptops to offload data.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

For me it wouldn't be worth the hassle, at least not for the next coming years, all brides still ask for their dvd's so 4k requests I don't expect anytime soon. Now if I would have money to burn and Panasonics next gh3 successor would be 4k I might be tempted but only to use it's re-framing possibilities in a 1080p project.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Trustee

In the UK, I just don't see wedding clients requesting 4K films ... Blu Ray is barely even requested. Everyone needs a Ultra High Def TV at home first ... and that will only happen when cable, sattelite etc start broadcasting lots of 4K content making it worthwhile for people to upgrade. Not to mention the price of the televisions need to come down to a sensible price too ...

Noa says 3-4 years ... I would say 5-6 years.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
Noa says 3-4 years ... I would say 5-6 years.
I would agree. Blu-ray is almost never requested so 4K is going to be something that's a long way off being able to justify for weddings.

Even corporates seem only to be looking for 1080p at best.

I was originally looking to invest in 4K as a next camera but I just took a C100 instead.
Old December 20th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Major Player

I have already seen many people who have and are purchasing 4K large displays for home use here in New York. Retail outlets have them in stock and ready for sale, and have been selling them for some time now. They spend thousands for that kind of stuff . I had a few couples already asking if their wedding next year would be possible for 4K capture as they are planning to get a 4K large screen then. I would like to see the prices drop as I can surely use a 36 inch 4K monitor for my editing purpose as I also do photography. I will offer that only if they are willing to pay a much higher premium as I have to weigh in the costs to upgrade. If I would get 10 clients at $4000 each minimum, then I am set to go. For years I have always been upgrading to keep up with the trends, costly yes, but here if you don't you lose.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #8
Trustee

It really has a lot to do with where you live and are based ...

Most of our major retail outlets are pushing 4K as well ... but are they selling? is another question.

SKY TV and Virgin Media ... the two main satellite channel providers in the UK are not broadcasting any 4K content I know off (and if they are, it's none of the major channels). So why would the general public upgrade? and even then, the ones who do, will be the technologically savvy and know where to get 4K Blu Ray films etc.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 01:07 PM   #9
Trustee

James, I with you on this. Anyone buying 4K in the UK is doing so just to be the first to say I've got 4K, and they're spending more than most people will ever need to because (thanks to the early adopters) prices will eventually come down, just like they did with HD LCD TVs. I remember listening to a radio 4 program some years ago when the marketing guy for Curry's was saying that in the January sales he expected LCD TVs to come down to around £2000. That's only a few years ago and look where we are now.

Having said that, if 4K is a tiny number compared to HD, and HD requests are tiny compared to people wanting DVD, what chance of someone asking me next year for 4K in the UK? I'd say about zero.

The chances of me finding a 4K camera that I consider good enough in low light that is also affordable (enough to buy at least two) is remote. A Canon C500 looks like it will fit the bill but at twenty grand it's going to need a lot of high end weddings to pay for it, high end weddings that are extremely few and far between anywhere in the UK, let alone North Yorkshire ;)
Old December 22nd, 2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Trustee

Exactly ...

Put it this way, the companies upgrading to 4k cameras have got a lot of money to burn or are very confident that is what their clients are demanding.

My clients definitely don't want it based on the fact I have to 'pitch' blu ray to them let alone 4k.

By all means if you got the money, future proof yourself. It's good to have the latest tech. I would personally buy a FS700 if funds allowed it.
James Manford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery