A7S project (Not wedding) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old July 29th, 2014, 04:22 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: A7S project (Not wedding)

Ceremony/Speeches - Canon 85mm f1.8
Stabiliser Shots - Canon 17-40mm f4 L
Everything Else (Handheld) - Canon 35mm f2 IS

I'm getting a weird lens type flare when there is a bright light just outside of frame. I'll post a sample of that too.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 04:43 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Is that with all your lenses? lens flare is often linked to the lens only, like I have a 12mm f2.0 from olympus but you also have a 12mm f1.6 from slr magic, the last one is known to flare a lot more then the Olympus, some get that lens just because of that effect but you can decrease the flare by stopping down the iris, that at least works on the slr magic, not sure how that will work out on your Sony.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 05:02 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Philip Bloom noticed that the sensor has a bit of a purple flare on the left of the image with some lenses. If that's what you are getting take a look at his review on the A7S

He mentions it somewhere in here but the content is a good watch anyway

The evolving review of the Sony A7s now with extreme low light video. | Philip Bloom

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #34
Major Player

Here is the lens flare type thing I experience... Any thoughts?

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Pretty sure that's lens related, somehow catching a "bounce" off those lights off to the side... maybe a hood would help?
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #36
Inner Circle

I see that philip bloom has reacted on the vimeo video saying it happens with a sony lens he has as well.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Having run into a few odd lens issues (small bits of dirt, odd flares, the infamous "blue dot"...) here and there, my guess is that those lights somehow were bright enough to bounce off an internal wall off the lens, which then flared onto one of the elements, but that's just a guess based on the very odd flare you're getting (happens AFTER the light is out of the frame!). Thus my suggestion that a hood might be in order to prevent "off angle" light from entering the lens.

I don't think it's likely the camera... that would be a really nasty mount gap! If that's even a suspicion, you can try the hair scrunchy trick to cover the lens/body joint and see what happens.

You should be able to repro this under controlled conditions with a bright light until you get to the bottom of the problem! That's what I've done when dealing with odd flare artifacts...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 09:17 AM   #38
Trustee

Hi Clive, thanks for sharing. I got the A7s too and I'm struggling with S log 2. Did you use colour curves and colour corrector to get the look? I noticed the Saturation needs to be pushed real hard to get there. In low light its really noisy in 32bit but in 8bit it doesn't "look" that noisy in the preview strangely!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR