It's been a while, so here's one for some crit. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old September 16th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #1
It's been a while, so here's one for some crit.
Clive McLaughlin Clive McLaughlin is offline September 16th, 2014, 07:41 AM

I guess its always good to get some thoughts every now and then.

I'm finding that part of this year and for the year ahead my venue and styling are getting nicer, which certainly helps the look of the work.

Any thoughts on this one?

Clive McLaughlin
Major Player
Views: 2905
Old September 16th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: It's been a while, so here's one for some crit.

Hey Clive, not an awful lot to say, but I think that's probably one of the best highlight vids I've seen here all year.

Great choice of music, and you've got a real eye for composition. What you're doing with the steadicam is inspiring -- not too rushed, multiple axes of movement, and often contrary motion, so that an object is going one way while you're going the other. Colour scheme is fine; it's great that your work has a look, and isn't bland.

Some particular comments:

-- Great title

-- 0:30: shoe shot is great. I suppose it's like this: if you say to yourself, "I'm going to take a shot of the shoes now," the tunnel-vision temptation is to fill the frame with the shoes, because you're focused on that object; and this is really what I tend to do most of the time. But then you lose any context in the room, and you also lose depth in the image. One thing that's unusual and fantastic about your shoe shot is the depth in the image -- the foreground elements.

-- 1:53: rotation shot revealing the car arriving blew my mind. I noticed a similar technique a few times, where you took the time to lead into something significant, or to coordinate significant action with culmination of camera movement. For instance, tilting up from reflection of couple to the kiss at the ceremony, which was particularly brave -- the technical challenge of getting the timing right, while dealing with videographer anxiety and tunnel vision. In the case of the ceremony kiss, maybe you even got a bit lucky -- it was a short kiss, so it felt like there was a real risk of missing it with the camera move. But I guess this is very often the way -- some of the most interesting shots are the riskiest, and what makes them eye-catching is that nobody tries to get those shots because they're risky.

-- Interesting use of lots of steadicam shots from that point onwards, creating excitement. And great end-of-ceremony shot, with nice sort of wheeling around the couple rather than directly chasing them in a line, and booming up to create a feeling of closure.

-- 3:38: music doesn't entirely match visuals; big moment in music, but just guests walking in the visuals. Don't know what you could have put there. The obvious thing is couple entry at reception, but then you'd miss out on using it the way you do use it, which has its own effect.

-- 3:45: beautiful shot of reception interior; great movement and composition. Looks smooth enough to be a tilted slider, and those sorts of shots aren't easy.

-- Fantastic final shot.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Clive - nice highlight! I agree with Adrian- your steadicam shots and overall composition were great. The whole clip had a real nice feel to it.

Art
Old September 17th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Really adore your use of pulling focus on still life... great work.

Is this the same Clive who had someone turn him down? Life DOES go on! Incredible work! Well done!!!

As everyone else has stated, I really like your steadicam work, but your framing was near perfect for me (I couldn't do better, or wish to critique it!).

Well done! I'd give you a massive breakdown but I'm snowed under (not literally).

You should be proud!
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 04:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Really great, especially the shot of the VW T2 bus arriving.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 04:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Do you shoot alone?
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 02:28 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks so much for the positivity guys! Yea Andrew I'm a solo shooter - it has it's difficulties, but I survive with a few static cams for safety shots.

A few of you mentioned the Camper Van arrival shot. Truth is I was just filming guests going in when I heard the wheels on the gravel and continued to wheel around. It worked out well, but wasn't an intended shot!

Thanks for taking the time to give me some thoughts and encouragement :)
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Nice work Clive - is that the A7s on your steadicam? what lens are you using with it?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #9
Major Player

No Petere, this was shot pre-a7s on the Canon 6D. The lens used for steadicam work with both cameras is the Canon L 17-40mm. I'd be tempted to have a look at the new Canon 24mm 2.8 pancake for steadicam work
Old September 26th, 2014, 04:12 AM   #10
Major Player

Just realised the 24mm pancake lens is for crop sensor. Which I could switch to on the A7S, but of course 24mm is not a wide anymore in that case!
Old September 26th, 2014, 04:31 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Clive the Samyang 14mm EF mount lens works well with my A7s - I use it with my Merlin but to be honest, as a solo shooter I'm fairly obsessed with playing safe so rarely get my steadicam out - I see so many solo shooters using steadicam at weddings like yourself and Noa to great effect I need to force myself to use it more!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery