Need your critiques again at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old October 16th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Need your critiques again
Alan Daniel Alan Daniel is offline October 16th, 2014, 08:23 PM

PSSWRD:witluv2

for some odd reason everything looked Shaky to me... What do u guys think ??

Alan Daniel
Regular Crew
Views: 3508
Old October 17th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Need your critiques again

Looked quite a difficult wedding to shoot. Not a lot of space on the roof terrace and a lot of contrasting light. The dance was pitch black so I see you had to use a light which never looks the best but when it's the only way to get a shot then you have no choice! You had the same problem that many have. It's quite easy to get some nice shots in the bride's home but when we get to the actual wedding everything get more chaotic! Watch the focus. Cameras with interchangeable lenses can be difficult to focus. In saying that, I'm sure the couple will be happy as it captures the spirt of the wedding.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 01:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Do you only want critiques on the "shaking"? For me that part looked just fine, I see it was a all white wedding and I saw a glimpse of one of the camera operators who was all in white as well. I guess it was a requirement of the bride? I would charge extra if they wanted me to wear a specific outfit as I would have to buy white pants and a white shirt. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 02:59 AM   #4
Major Player

I didn't see any excess shaking either! I go all black to film my weddings so I would have stood out a mile!
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 06:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You guys have no idea... the rooftop was so small and with almost 50-60 people on there, it was CRAMMED!! my second shooter basically sat on the floor with his Steadicam to get some of those shots. it was supposed to be a indoor wedding with 20 people, but since almost 60 people showed up they put it outside...

Yes Noa it was an ALL WHITE wedding.. even us... Of course a surcharge was placed as extra...took me almost 30 dollars of gas to find a 20 dollar white pants... :0

Other than that what do you guys think we should improve on ?...Focus always becomes an issue, i am a stickler for shaky footage also.....

Another question - When you guys shoot,do you shoot with a planned notion of editing in a specific way ? As in "I am gonna shoot this way,so i could edit this way later on" or shoot and then sit down and plan out the edit ??
Alan Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Trustee

Hey Alan,

Random comments:

-- 0:20: loved the close-up of pendant, but I think some sort of blemish removal is worth considering, if you have the time
-- 0:25: the four-screen shot is really interesting; so few people try it. I guess what struck me, though, is the question of what the logic of these particular shots were. I mean, why did you decide to group these four together, and not others?
-- 1:15: was part of the music cut out here? Something feels strange in the soundtrack.
-- 1:29: post-stabilisation more obvious in some shots, for instance in this three-shot of the couple and celebrant. You probably know this trick already, but, depending on which particular stabilisation program you're using, reducing smoothness or changing method of smoothing can sometimes make a shot smoother.
-- 1:46: camera colours and sturation feel different -- different cameras/camera settings? Don't think couple would notice though.

Shots I really liked:

-- opening slide of the city going off the roof
-- low-angle slide of the bride
-- 0:43: loved the lighting on the bride
-- 0:46: really really liked the dress shot
-- 1:33: loved the sun flare

Also, really liked the feeling of excitement in the editing with the second song.

Re shooting techniques and editing, I generally shoot a bucketload of crap, then try to sort it out afterwards, but I wouldn't recommend this method -- very inefficient. The clearer the shot list you've got in your mind, the more time you can spend perfecting those shots and the better prepared you can be for when the moment happens, rather than wasting time on shots you're not going to use, and wasting time sorting through it in the edit. If you go so far as to have the song picked out in your mind that you're going to edit each part of the wedding to, that can be a huge help. On the other hand, I guess the "dumptruck coverage" method creates more options in the edit, and reduces the feeling that you're shooting to a formula, or shooting the same moments in the same way.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hello Adrian,

Thank you for your detailed comments man. Getting feedbacks from professional like you is like gold to us.

About the 4 screen split @ :25,, My thought behind that was the bride prepping to become a Kang aka the groom.. but i guess it didnt go as i planned..

The music was cut @ 1:15, cut it as close as i can without attempting to bring attention to the change ,, but u found it...

What do u guys use to soften the skin or remove blemish ? i work mainly with Adobe premiere pro.

@1:46 was actually the 'Filmy Look" i tried with magic bullet, but changed my mind later on took it out of the highlight,but forgot that particular one ( Damn it)

I try my best to edit with something in my mind, but during wedding aka chaos, i shoot everything to be on the safe side...
Alan Daniel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery