DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Hong Kong Wedding Highlights (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/525536-hong-kong-wedding-highlights.html)

Luke Oliver October 27th, 2014 04:09 PM

Hong Kong Wedding Highlights

Its been about a year since I have posted on here. A great forum where i learned all my tips and skills when i started in this business 3 years ago.

This year I had the pleasure of leaving my tiny island of Guernsey after a couple from London saw my films and liked them so much they decided to fly me out to Hong Kong to shoot their wedding. I had one assistant to pick up head shots and shooting in 35 degrees it was hard hard work. Anyway here it it , shot on the canon c100 and 5diii , edited on FCPX and graded with film convert. Its not perfect but I am still learning. I hope you enjoy

Luke

Adrian Tan October 27th, 2014 07:49 PM

Re: Hong Kong Wedding Highlights

Hey Luke, that cake shot with lens flare was amazing, though I feel for your sensor (having had mine recently damaged by DJ lights -- $1577 to replace in a Mk3). I'm not sure, but maybe that sort of light could damage it.

Slider (?) shot around the guy opening the bottle -- awesome. I know I'm pretty much never in the right place at the right time with a slider ready to go to catch something like that.

The dancing sequence was amazing. The music, the pacing, the shots, the camera movement, the content and colours. Dreamlike feel. I can't remember seeing anything with that sort of mood in a wedding film.

Going into daylight afterwards felt disappointing by contrast -- that dancing really is the climax of the piece I think.

Thanks for posting!

Frank Garrod October 29th, 2014 04:49 PM

Adrian could you tell me what was damaged on your camera? We work with many DJS using lots of lights so we would like to be careful.
Thank you

Adrian Tan October 29th, 2014 05:12 PM

Hey Frank, check out this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...or-damage.html

One thing to mention is that I've had this camera body since the Mk3 came out. When was that? 2011? I've subjected it to all kinds of abuse, frequently pointing at the sun or at DJ lights to get flare effects. This is the first time any damage has happened. So, most of the time, you're going to be fine.

I'll have to read more into the subject. I'm assuming it's long, thin laser beams that are the risky lights, rather than the larger light sources that most DJs tend to use.

Craig McKenna October 30th, 2014 04:43 AM

Incredible work Luke! An absolute pleasure to view!

Love your intro, prep shots, details, dress, especially your choice of angle for the hair.

What I've taken from your film, is how to cut for certain details of features... such as the make up shots - no sign of the eyes... perfect crop.

The silhouette by the window is a joke! So good! Did you ask her to stand there or???

Love the dragon, the moment the bride is hoisted into the air! Timelapse, the way the veil falls over her face and most impressively, how she stares so confidently and refreshingly into the camera at 1 minute 16 seconds.

The red room was so vivid, and you captured that nicely too!

The cork shot was like a set up shot from a commercial! As Adrian states, that's one of my favourites and something I've never been able to capture myself.

The kid with the tear running was cute, but the cake shot was incredible! Love the spot lights in this... so much nicer than the ones in the UK that you're also probably used to. The dancing and whip pans are gorgeous too, close up of the ring on the finger etc.

On another note, the bride looks like a carbon copy of my ex-gf from Paris... was she Vietnamese, or from HK? I'd be surprised at the latter.

Thanks for sharing... incredible viewing. Share more often if you can!!!

Luke Oliver November 1st, 2014 05:31 AM

Hey Guys

Sorry video is back up here

Luke Oliver November 1st, 2014 05:41 AM

Wow, thanks for the kind words, all of this was shot documentary as it happens, luckily the guy had to open a few bottles of wine but got it on the second corking. Yeah i must admit the lighting really helps, I was worried all the red would be destroyed as it tends to pixle really easily but i just put in a custom colour matrix on the c100 and pushed away from the red slightly, if you see the ungraded footage its crazy red.

The silhouette sot again was not set up just good observation and the right place at the right time, fast fingers on the exposure. The only interaction I have with the bride and groom is during the photo portrait shoots, apart from that i try and capture natural reactions and incorporate good framing, well try to , sometimes its just not always possible. Focus , recompose, focus, recompose :)

Adrian I have taken your advice and ended with the dancing, i agree it was too much of a jump from dark to light. I think it works much better now.

Thanks again for the kind words

Luke

Luke Oliver November 3rd, 2014 07:01 PM

Oh and forgot to mention the wine shot was steadicam . Only slider shots are of the empty rooms, everything else is mono pod and steadicam

Luke