Feedback Wanted: Same Day Edit and Highlight Film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old October 30th, 2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Feedback Wanted: Same Day Edit and Highlight Film
Kyle Hawthorne Kyle Hawthorne is offline October 30th, 2014, 12:26 PM

We are really trying to bring our work quality up a couple notches during the offseason and am looking for some feedback from other creatives. Also, if you have any recommendations for edu material I am all eyes. The only two courses/workshops we have taken up to this point are Stillmotions KNOW filmmaking DVD/guide and Rob Adam's creativelive course on wedding cinematography.

Here are our two latest films. The first is a highlight film and the second a same day edit.

Kyle Hawthorne
Regular Crew
Views: 3903
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Feedback Wanted: Same Day Edit and Highlight Film

Hi Kyle,

I'm struggling with my Internet today, but another course you may wish to consider would be Creative Live's training sessions with Ray Roman. In my opinion, it's better than Rob Adams' course, mainly because Ray is a better speaker and practitioner (in my opinion).

Hope this helps... can you tell me whether StillMotion's DVD is available to buy? Or is it simply their videos on Vimeo that you're referencing?

Thanks,

Craig
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Craig. Ray Roman's course is definitely on my short list.

Stillmotion has both a fieldguide (book) and a two DVD set of the workshop. They are both fantastic resources. I noticed they have since split up the DVD set into two options. Everything can be found here: Stillmotion Store | Stillmotion.

I do also love stillmotion's free tutorials on vimeo. I follow most of the high profile DSLR filmmakers like Phillip Bloom, Patrick Moreau, Ray Roman, Joe Simon, and try to take advantage of any free education resource they provide. I feel like this has taken me up to my current production quality level but I really want to continue improving.
Kyle Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #4
Trustee

Hey Kyle, great work, and definitely your SDE puts mine to shame. I think your work is at a level where it's hard to say how it could get much better.

Particularly liked the speed of your slides. And there was some amazing stuff near the ceiling of the reception, that presumably was a very controlled stabiliser shot rather than slider?

The movements around the bicycle -- my friend suggests you're using a gimbal. Did he guess right? Something to do with how level the horizons are.

Main comment: maybe consider closing everything down a stop for the next one. The main imperfections that stood out for me were shots with missed focus / hunting for focus, though I doubt a bride would care too much.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Adrian-

Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment. Yes, the moving shots with the bike are with a ronin gimbal and EOSM. Unfortunately, these shots turned out like crap because I accidentally turned on FPS override in the ML menu, which artificially sped up all the clips 2-3x. It's hard to explain and we did the best to slow down and salvage the clips in post, but I'm still not happy with the result.

I'm not sure which shot you are talking about regarding the ceiling so it's hard to say whether it was a slider or gimbal.

I agree regarding the focus and stopping down a bit. We shoot with all fast prime lenses, so it's very tempting to shoot at crazy low apertures like 1.2 or 1.4. I'll be trying to stay closer to the 2-2.8 range for most of the shots in our next wedding. It will make focus easier and also create a sharper image. I finally pulled the trigger on the Ray Roman workshop and he says he almost never shoots wider than f2.
Kyle Hawthorne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery