DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   My latest try! lol (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/531758-my-latest-try-lol.html)

Kyle Root May 2nd, 2016 04:50 PM

My latest try! lol

Man, I really need to get an external monitor that has focus peaking.

https://www.facebook.com/kylerootpro...6726344610408/

Steven Davis May 2nd, 2016 05:25 PM

Re: My latest try! lol

Hey Kyle,

I liked it. I think the narration by the couple is the money 'shot even.' I think we all would like that at each wedding.

Did you shoot this by yourself, I didn't know if the slideshow was from the photog or not.

Also, do you shoot your DsLR handheld. Just curious, it looks like you weren't slaved to a monopod or anything during the relaxed parts of the wedding.

I enjoyed the video, congrats on the massive views on FB. I usually go to my blog, but I may do more FB sharing first to maximize sharing.

Roger Van Duyn May 2nd, 2016 05:56 PM

Great job Kyle! I really liked it.

Roger

Kyle Root May 2nd, 2016 06:08 PM

Hey thanks. I was on a monopod for the whole day, except for a few glidecam shots.

My technique isn't the best on a monopod. I've started trying to use a small manfrotto tripod during most of the day, but at this one, I was shooting the whole thing solo and it was a mega church so logistics were a huge issue for me on this one. I had to use all my tripods at the ceremony (8 camera shoot - Set up the night before at rehearsal, with tape markings on the floor so everyone would stand in the same spots, and I set all zooms/focus combinations night before, with a double check on the wedding day)

Actually uploading the video direct to FB is the way to go.

I gave the bride the Vimeo link and she shared it, and it got around 2,000 views so far. But as you can see, the FB direct upload to my page is pushing 10,000 views and it's only been 4 days. lol

Clive McLaughlin May 25th, 2016 08:59 AM

Hi Kyle, super work!
As a Christian myself I can appreciate a lot of the elements and loved reading your Facebook post. Whilst I take all bookings, I'm always quite happy when I realise it's a B&G with a Christian faith. There's a skill in looking at EVERY B&G's personality and being able to tailor your edit for them of course, but when you share your faith or sometimes just personality traits with the couple, there's no doubt about it - you enjoy the edit more, and become more connected to the project.

Noa Put May 25th, 2016 09:51 AM

I also liked it and you shot this solo? :) After reading your comment about marking the floor for people to stand is very smart, that only works if you have lots of prep time to make everyone involved understand what they need to do and it also explained why you where able to get good angles from both sides of bride and groom, but nonetheless, that was quite impressive.

If I can give one point of criticism, it looks to me you shot this framing everything according to a 16:9 aspect ratio but then in post make it 2:35:1 and that's something I notice in some odd framing like half chopped off heads. My jvc has the possibility to add framing bars so I can see the aspect ratio during the shoot which makes a hugh difference, I too have been shooting 16:9 the last years and then try to make my trailers only 2:35:1 but always get into trouble on some shots which just don't re-crop right if you know what I mean. Having that overlay option on my JVC has made that part a lot easier if my final output will be 2:35:1.

It's also rare to me to see a couple that take their religion serious, many couples that I shoot just go to church because it's a tradition or they just want to have a nice location to have their ceremony. After that almost no-one ever goes to church again, unless it's for a funeral :)

I shot a reformed protestant church ceremony a few years back and I was not even allowed to shoot the ceremony and had to wait outside in the car, in the evening they also did several prayers and then I also had to wait in a separate room, very weird experience.

I am an atheist but do respect any kind of religion, as long as it's not one that uses violence to convert non believers, and when it comes to shooting weddings I don't care how serious a couple is about their religion, as long as they verbally share their feelings about themselves, or like in your film about their religion as well, that certainly helps to build a better film.

Kyle Root June 3rd, 2016 08:30 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Noa, yeah it was shot for 16:9. I always forget that I'm going to add the bars in post for the highlight reels and such. So it wasn't perfect.

Yes solo shoot. Started around 8:00 AM I think it was and was out around 4:00 or 5:00 in the afternoon.

When I got to the bride prep room, it was a disaster from the night before, so I actually spent about 30-40 minutes just cleaning that room up for those room shots. Picked up trash, removed magazines, organized furniture, hid trash cans, hid all kinds of stuff. Removed a phone from the counter. lol