Another wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old July 4th, 2016, 11:47 AM   #1
Another wedding
Noa Put Noa Put is offline July 4th, 2016, 11:47 AM

Thought I'd share this one from this saturday, this time used my gh3/4 combo and the gx80 + also my jvc ls300 but mainly for the ceremony. The slow startup time of this camera (around 12 or so seconds) makes it unusable during brideprep where I need to react quickly to catch these unexpected moments. My gh3 was used for that purpose now which has a instant startup time and this enabled me to capture some great moments, my gx80 has become a very valuable tool in the box as well to be used throughout the entire day, in total I shot 1 hour and 40 minutes worth of footage with that camera only. I use it during parts where sound is not critical or where I am relying on other external recorders to capture sound.
The ls300 was mainly used as camera at the ceremony to capture the speakers and for speeches later in the evening and there it performed admirably, considering I constantly had to adjust exposure because of a appearing/disappearing sun which made the ceremony very difficult to cover. I had the ax100 at the end of the aisle, a cx730 as extra cam on a high lightstand to get a view of all the people at the ceremony, my gx80 and a 75mm handheld for all visitor closeups and for a closeup of the readers and during the vows and I had my gh4 on a gimbal for the entrance, exit and some other random shots. I always said I had to make it more easy on myself but that seems to be difficult :) Because the wedding was in the venue and I had 2 hours of prep time I decided to take it all with me. All in all I"m satisfied with the result considering the light conditions where difficult to deal with throughout the day.

Noa Put
Inner Circle
Views: 3976
Old July 5th, 2016, 02:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Another wedding

Beautiful, Noa. I managed to feel the emotion despite it being in another language, which is great. I'm jealous of your bokeh by the way ;) I need a new camera...

I think it's awesome how you get so many cameras set up. I really must look to do that next year. Unfortunately with me moving a way for a year it looks like things are on hold until I return.

I particularly like the way you followed them to the table with the gimbal. Did the photographer have any issue with that? I know a friend of mine who is a photographer would not be happy if I did that :p I also like that you get some shots of the food (I think I've seen you do that in a few of your vids now). I tend to leave the dining part out. Did you ask the waiter to follow you or did you just do it?

It's so much easier when the wedding is in the venue, isn't it?
Nathan Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 03:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thx:) That bokeh is achieved with my panasonic gx80 and a 42,5mm f1.7 or 75mm f1.8, all handheld btw.
The entrance I always follow them from behind and the photog is always in front of the couple so it can be that they have me in their shot but they can get in my shot also so I see no reason for them to complain, if I would be standing next to them walking backward would be very difficult and I would risk blocking the photog from taking a shot, now at least we always stay out of eachothers way.

I never ask a waiter to follow but I just follow them as they pass by.

I do prefer shooting in a church as there is much more space, it's a lot easier to edit (no personal messages but all standard church provided text) and I "only" use 3 camera's in church, one directed to the speakers, on wide towards the public and one handheld for closeup headshots. Ceremonies at the venue usually give me more set up time and are more controlled how the couple will be facing eachother during the vows but my camera's are often very difficult to reach because space is so limited. Often these venue ceremonies are held outside which can be challenging when it comes to sound and exposure while in a church I have no issues with that.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 04:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Lovely video. I really like your use of wide shots.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 07:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Super film, Noa, it really captured the emotion of the day!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 01:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thx :) When I got home after the wedding I was frustrated because it was such a difficult day to cover because of exposure difficulties, I absolutely hate days when it's partially cloudy and a sun that appears/disappears all the time, not only does your exposure need to be adjusted constantly during events such as a ceremony, your whitebalance changes as well and every single shot can look different. I also had issues with my gimbal, again, but this time it was my fault, when I placed it down I accidentally activated it and found it minutes later shaking trying to balance which ofcourse it was not able to do. After that it wouldn't level anymore so there is a possibility I might have bricked it. Good thing I had my blackbird on standby in the car.

I also had serious vignetting in the upper right and lower left corner of my image during a small part of the day which was caused by a sunhood on my 12-35mm which had turned a bit, then suddenly the 21:9 aspect ratio is a perfect excuse to cover up those kind of mistakes and at the same time claim my film is cinematic :)

But the trailer is booming with over 1300 views in 2 days (which might not be much for some but it is for me) according to my vimeo account on facebook only and I found out not only the client but also other vendors, like the venue and the makeup artist are sharing it to showcase their work, I love free advertising :)
Old July 9th, 2016, 05:23 PM   #7
Trustee

I do not know why you use so many cameras? The 70d or 80d does the lot. I found it generic Noa.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 03:50 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
I do not know why you use so many cameras? The 70d or 80d does the lot. I found it generic Noa.
Seriously? In the UK, we are always wanting the extra angle I find, as I'm sure you have too, Steve?

Noa's headshots provide him with great moments to capture as and when necessary during the big parts of the day, whilst his other cameras cover anyone getting in his shots, malfunctions etc. I always try to get three camera angles for the ceremony and two for the speeches, but I know that I want a handheld camera next year to nail headshots like Noa does. Otherwise, you stop your audience from feeling a huge part of the day - the reactions of their relatives.

The other two shots are necessary, and the third is a bonus to keep it interesting.

As for the movie being generic, I can only assume that's because it's in a foreign language? That was sensitively edited with some great cinematography that I don't see in 95% of other wedding films. Killer slow motion, great moments captured in real time etc. and edited together really nicely too.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 04:13 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
I have shot a wedding beginning this year with one camera only, that did the lot too, limiting at certain moments ofcourse in regards to camera angles, like a ceremony, but not impossible to create a engaging film out of the entire day.

I would say 3 camera's is optimal and with this wedding the only reason I took more with me was because I had 2 hours to set up so plenty of time to figure out what to do with them and also enough time to put it all away as the ceremony was in the venue. If I would have to cover a ceremony in a church I prefer to take less gear with me, my jvc ls300 on a tripod for the readers, my ax100 set wide towards the guests (both in 4K) and my gx80 now for handheld reaction shots.

Can I ask what you mean with "generic"?
Old July 10th, 2016, 12:30 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McKenna View Post
I know that I want a handheld camera next year to nail headshots like Noa does.
I'm holding out for the GH5 having IS and working much as the GX80 does. If it's as good and there is every reason to think it would be if included in the specs, I plan to use the GH5 more for handheld reaction shots.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 03:00 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Eventhough I would sound logical that the gh5 gets ibis I rather work with what's available now, the gx80 is so small, light and cheap and performs well that I wouldn't want to wait until maybe the GH5 will get the same functionality, I hope it does ofcourse but even then I will wait for the price to come down. The 12-35mm f2.8 works well enough for handheld work on the GH4 and the gx80 is a great b-roll camera for closeups and beautyshots. Only the sound is it's acchillesheel but when I"m working with a 42,5mm or a 75mm on the gx80 the camera doesn't get used for anything where incamera sound recording is important anyway, for that purpose I have the gh3 or 4 on standby with the stabilized 12-35mm and a external microphone or I use external sound recorders.
Old July 11th, 2016, 03:27 AM   #12
Trustee

True but I'm holding out hope the GH5 also has 50p 4K plus the continuous recording that the GH4r currently has (or else I'll import). I can't afford both that and the GX80 this year.

Getting the GH5 means I can finally phase out my HD only cameras and run 4K throughout all cameras, whilst also leave me with only my initial GH4 that has the 29 min clip limit. I've worked too long and hard to reduce the number of clip limit cameras to just 1 camera only to then go back to running 2 again. IS would be nice now and be very helpful to my filming, but I've managed so far without it so I can last a few more months also too.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2016, 12:21 AM   #13
Trustee

One thing I like about you Noa is you love switching up cameras all the time. From different makes / models. I'm a Sony fan boy and familiar with their menu systems so just stick with their models.

Oh and great video as usual !
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2016, 01:04 AM   #14
Inner Circle

My gh3/4/gx80 are about the same to operate so there I don't need to think to much when switching, the ax100 is very easy to use and the only thing I do manually is touchfocus and whitebalance if needed. Only with the jvc I need to concentrate much more on button locations as it doesn't come natural (yet).
Old July 13th, 2016, 09:41 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I used to like my CX730 cameras for locked off work, now I've replaced one with a AX100 and seen the difference I want to replace the other - damn I just can't afford it yet :/
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery