My final wedding... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old August 22nd, 2016, 02:44 AM   #1
My final wedding...
Nathan Buck Nathan Buck is offline August 22nd, 2016, 02:44 AM

I'm moving to Australia in less than a month and I'm not taking my camera gear/computer, so this will be my last wedding for a year or two, though never say never. The clients absolutely love it.

I'm a single shooter so everything you see is shot on the HCX1000, except the time lapse that's a GoPro.

As usual this is the final delivered piece so be gentle.

From a technical point of view, I'm not too keen on the shots of her grandad in the garden at the start. It was intense sunlight and I had the internal ND on 1/64 at times and it just seems to have destroyed the image. From a sentimental point of view, the grandad was too sick to make the wedding, so these images are priceless to the bride and as such I included purely on that merit. They wouldn't have made the final cut normally. I'm not sure what it is with this camera, but low light or really bright sunlight it tends to struggle. Maybe it's just me! Anyway, they don't care about the quality, just the fact he's included. I was annoyed at myself for messing those shots up though as I knew they were important ones.

From what I can see on Facebook, it's got an excellent reception from friends and family. Lots of 'tears'. I'm pleased, ive seen it so many hundreds of times I've become emotionally numb to it so it's nice to hear it actually is effective haha.

Anyway, here it is:

https://vimeo.com/nathanbuckfilms/mattandlindsey

Nathan Buck
Regular Crew
Views: 3573
Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: My final wedding...

It actually looked good and there where some very nice shots in there like the grain field shot but also the speeches looked nice in terms of color and exposure. I can understand why family and friends loved it.
It looks like the camera easily burns out highlights so setting the right exposure is key, don't you think the outdoorshots are not just overexposed?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Great film. Had a lot of heart. I liked it a lot until I saw the MCFC cufflinks... then I didn't like it so much... haha just joking. I thought the shots with the Grandad were going to be terrible from your description; had you not mentioned it in your post, I wouldn't have pulled it out as an issue - it looked great and definitely a memory to cherish.

Overall, you edited this really well, particularly up until the middle part where the music ended... the second choice of music was great too, but I wouldn't have done so many switches between clips so quickly for a wedding film - just to my tastes though - which I think are like Noa's - long and drawn out - so I can't really call it.

I found it to be a particularly great film - I'm often bored after 30 seconds, but you kept me enthralled throughout.

Best wishes on your new adventure - sounds like an amazing life decision - I wish you well.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2016, 09:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Where in Oz are you moving to Nathan? I have tons of contacts down here so if you need to do a bit of 2nd shooter stuff I can toss you same guys to contact.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 03:07 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
It actually looked good and there where some very nice shots in there like the grain field shot but also the speeches looked nice in terms of color and exposure. I can understand why family and friends loved it.
It looks like the camera easily burns out highlights so setting the right exposure is key, don't you think the outdoorshots are not just overexposed?
Yeah it's not got a great DR this camera. I think about 9 stops. Come to think of it, my friend (a budding cinematographer) convinced me to try shooting at 100% zebra (I usually shoot at 80) which is probably why some of them are over exposed. I won't make that mistake again :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McKenna View Post
Great film. Had a lot of heart. I liked it a lot until I saw the MCFC cufflinks... then I didn't like it so much... haha just joking. I thought the shots with the Grandad were going to be terrible from your description; had you not mentioned it in your post, I wouldn't have pulled it out as an issue - it looked great and definitely a memory to cherish.

Overall, you edited this really well, particularly up until the middle part where the music ended... the second choice of music was great too, but I wouldn't have done so many switches between clips so quickly for a wedding film - just to my tastes though - which I think are like Noa's - long and drawn out - so I can't really call it.

I found it to be a particularly great film - I'm often bored after 30 seconds, but you kept me enthralled throughout.

Best wishes on your new adventure - sounds like an amazing life decision - I wish you well.
Thank you for the kind words! Yeah the final 30 seconds are quite fast but it fits the music, although I do appreciate what you're saying. I think it has a nice combination of both slow/drawn out and quick. Actually, this was the second iteration. In the first edit I did, it was a different music track and I was really going for a slow, drawn out, emotional piece. But I scrapped it as it just didn't fit with the vibe of the day. The day was fast paced, fun, exciting - so I felt the film needed to reflect that, so I changed the music. I'm pleased you like it, thank you!

PS, I'm with you on the cuff links, and mentioned it to the groom ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Where in Oz are you moving to Nathan? I have tons of contacts down here so if you need to do a bit of 2nd shooter stuff I can toss you same guys to contact.
Thanks Chris! I'll be in Brisbane from mid September (fly on the 13th). I'm on a working holiday visa so there for at least a year, although hopefully longer. I'm quite keen to keep myself busy with anything film related so if you do have any contacts in that neck of the woods I'd be happy to hear from them! Fire an email to hello [AT] nbfilms [dot] co [dot] uk if you think you can help. Much appreciated!
Nathan Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Nathan,

I liked your film of your final UK wedding. I felt that although the tempo at the end was quicker, the rapid shot changes with it worked well.

You are at least lucky to be moving from one PAL country to another, meaning you can even get some cheap local gear and still have footage you can work on back in the UK.

Cheers

Tim
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:33 AM   #7
Austinite

Australia! Home of RODE mics and ATOMOS recorders!
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 02:24 PM   #8
Major Player

I knew Røde were Aussie, but not Atomos. The service from Røde is superlative. I will have to look closer at Atomos.
Old August 25th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Nathan

Just put your location down as Brisbane if that's where you are going or join as soon as you get to Brisbane and are settled. Meanwhile I'll put in a word for you of course!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2016, 03:02 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Right, I'm now in Brisbane! It's great so far.
Nathan Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2016, 09:51 AM   #11
Equal Opportunity Offender

Maaate! Welcome to Brisbane.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery