DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Slideshows (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/100407-slideshows.html)

Steven Davis August 3rd, 2007 07:47 AM

Slideshows

Well, we all know those times when slide shows are done at receptions, such as the one done by uncle Fred. And it's projected on a less than somewhat optimal display, I've approached it a couple of ways, I will either the video over to make the DVD presentation nicer, and keep the camera of the crowd reaction, or I've let the actual display stay.

I was just wondering what you guys do. I like the overlay myself if the live display was not good.

Jason Bowers August 3rd, 2007 09:58 AM

Hi Steven,
I have asked the person for the actual dvd or powerpoint presentation and put that into the video with no reactions. I would use camstasia studio to convert powerpoint or record straight from the dvd. If it is not too many pictures you could also throw them into the timeline and add the music.

Steven Davis August 3rd, 2007 11:27 AM

Thanks for the opinion Josh, the one I have in mind was projected on a wall that has a huge amount of light coming in on the side, so the slide show is dim to say the least.

Heather Darling August 3rd, 2007 12:19 PM

I usually shoot the presentation on a medium shot so you can see some of the guests and hear them laughing, I then zoom so you can see the screen only then fade into the actual footage supplied by the B&G and let it play from there.

Or what I've also done is to put it into a "special features" section on the DVD if I don't like it in the actual video.

Do make sure though that in the credits you put the persons name who created the slideshow. You don't want anyone who may see the DVD to think that you did it... especially if it's really bad!!!

Steven Davis August 3rd, 2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather Darling (Post 723020)

Do make sure though that in the credits you put the persons name who created the slideshow. You don't want anyone who may see the DVD to think that you did it... especially if it's really bad!!!

Excellent point.

Jim Fields August 3rd, 2007 01:06 PM

eh, I take a break during the montages. I never had a complaint by not having it in the video. Besides, I am the one who did the montage for the wedding I am at and put the montage on the DVD anyway.

Josh Green August 3rd, 2007 05:01 PM

Yep

I side with Jim on this one, I call montages "break time!"

Patrick Moreau August 3rd, 2007 10:09 PM

I'm with Jim and Josh- skip shooting that. If it is important, they can get the original show. If it isn't important, you didn't need to cver the whole thing anyways.

Brian Peterson August 4th, 2007 08:08 PM

Montage presentations that we did not do is a great time to check battery power, remaining tape or grab a drink. I agree with the others, I don't film this. If it is something I did like a SDE or Love Story, then I get reaction shots of the couple that will be used for sales purposes, that is all.

Noa Put August 5th, 2007 04:37 AM

I use Camtasia to convert the powerpoint presentations, during the montage I constantly film the guests reactions and I turn the camera a few times to the projectionscreen as well for easy syncing up during editing. Then I make a picture in picture with the montage quite small in the corner and the guests reaction full screen. Based on the reactions of my clients they really love it.
One thing I have encountered (probably a wrong setting I use in Camtasia) is that I have a hard time syncing the footage, the powerpoint presentations are often about 10% shorter after conversion in camtasia then my footage at the wedding, this means I have to try different speed settings in the converted powerpoint footage and thats quite annoying.
Also when they use special transition effects in the powerpoint presentation after convertion the transitions looks quite "choppy".
I just started to work this way but have to experiment more with camtasia's settings to see what gives the best output.