Aug 4th Same-Day Edit - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 7th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Yes we do. For this, I only shot some of the video and did the same-day editing. We had several others there helping with the shooting of photo and video. I think you need a fairly big team to pull off a good SDE while also not sacrificing the quality of the final video. We always cover the photo-session as well, which doesn't give us any down time where we need no video coverage.

Patrick
The reason I ask is, you can tell that there is a collective approach to the coverage, you can tell the videographer and photographer have the same agenda.

This is one of the main reasons we are looking to do both. Good stuff Patrick.
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #17
Still Motion

Yes Steven, that is exactly correct and I think it is an unbelievable advantage to offering both services. It has gotten to the point where we are often giving each other suggestions(photo to video, or video to photo), and they are often really good ones. We also usually know exactly what the photographer is trying to do with a shot, and that is a huge advantage in mkaing the most of that video portion in a complimentary way and also staying out of the way.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
That shot was a time lapse of a sunset. We just setup the cam and rings at the reception hall and let it run for the 20 minutes of sunset. I then work with the colors and speed in post and there you go :)
I sure hate having to wake up @ 4 am for these shots; not to mention lugging around that heavy kessler into the field!!!
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
That shot was a time lapse of a sunset. We just setup the cam and rings at the reception hall and let it run for the 20 minutes of sunset. I then work with the colors and speed in post and there you go :)
mmmmm, this hat is very tasty!

respect given to you for those shots then...maybe then you should somehow show a window/reflection in the background to prove it is a genuine sunset time-lapse, and not someone waving a light around :) :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
mmmmm, this hat is very tasty!
I'll be damned. I was sure it was a light as well....
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #21
Trustee

lovely stuff. would love to see what a whole wedding video of yours looks like. I'll send you one of mine if you send me one of yours :-)
Old August 8th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
That's impossible. Watch the shadow of the rings and you'll see it travel 90 degrees, indicating a light source moving from in front/top of the camera to above the ring box. There is no way the sun could move 90 degrees in 20 minutes.

Same theory for the necklace and shoes, the shadows move 45 degrees, which means a time lapse shot 3 hours long EACH. I don't think so....

Watch the shadow of the necklace carefully and you'll see it waver a bit at the end of the shot, indicating a hand-held light source being moved. Those shots were definitely hand-held lights and not the sun.

Nevertheless, cool shots!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #23
Inner Circle

If you work alone like me you need to be very creative to get the most out of your shots, but working with 3 cameramen including a crane, stabilisers etc gives you a lot more options. I'm just wondering how much it will eventually cost the client? I can imagin that it must be in a high pricerange. Allthough I would like to work together with more people it is an extra cost which is difficult to sell to a customer, that is here in Belgium or the Netherlands. I think it has to do with our culture, photo's are often considered the most important part and people spend a much bigger budget on it, video allways comes second. Even if I ask to add a second cameraman for the church or fotoshoot, at an extra cost ofcourse, my clients don't want it. Even if I explain the benefits or show demo material with the results.
Now you could say that I just should include it permenantly with a fixed price but then I would be sure that the higher pricerange would also mean having a much harder time getting clients. People here just don't want to spend too much money on a video. They are allready pleased if you just cover the day and they don't care that much about the "fancy stuff", especially if it will cost them more. That could be one of the reasons why I never have seen weddings done here with 2/3 people working with stabilisers or cranes.

I also notice that the quality standards in the states for a weddingvideo are much higher then here, I really like Patricks work and when I started in this business 3 years ago most of my inspiration I got was by just by watching all those demos I found on the internet. Most of the Belgian wedding videographers who advertise on the net produce crap when it comes to putting it together. They are, or good cameraman but don't know how to edit it, or they are good in editing but don't know how to film. I just know a few that are capable of putting it together in a good way. Maybe I'll post some of my work here soon and let you guys decide in which group I belong. :)

On the other hand it is better for me to live in Belgium right now I guess :), I wouldn't have any problems comparing my work against any Belgian or Dutch weddingvideographer but not against guys like Patrick allthough I try to keep up. ;)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
That's impossible. Watch the shadow of the rings and you'll see it travel 90 degrees, indicating a light source moving from in front/top of the camera to above the ring box. There is no way the sun could move 90 degrees in 20 minutes.

Same theory for the necklace and shoes, the shadows move 45 degrees, which means a time lapse shot 3 hours long EACH. I don't think so....

Watch the shadow of the necklace carefully and you'll see it waver a bit at the end of the shot, indicating a hand-held light source being moved. Those shots were definitely hand-held lights and not the sun.

Nevertheless, cool shots!
I think Patrick was just joking. :)
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Noa, I just thought I'd point out that Patrick is in Canada, not "the states". I've actually noticed that more high-quality videography seems to come out of Canada versus the US. I could be wrong, but it sure seems that way. Maybe Canadians have more of an appreciation for wedding videography?
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
If you work alone like me you need to be very creative to get the most out of your shots, but working with 3 cameramen including a crane, stabilisers etc gives you a lot more options. I'm just wondering how much it will eventually cost the client? I can imagin that it must be in a high pricerange. Allthough I would like to work together with more people it is an extra cost which is difficult to sell to a customer, that is here in Belgium or the Netherlands. I think it has to do with our culture, photo's are often considered the most important part and people spend a much bigger budget on it, video allways comes second. Even if I ask to add a second cameraman for the church or fotoshoot, at an extra cost ofcourse, my clients don't want it. Even if I explain the benefits or show demo material with the results.
Now you could say that I just should include it permenantly with a fixed price but then I would be sure that the higher pricerange would also mean having a much harder time getting clients. People here just don't want to spend too much money on a video. They are allready pleased if you just cover the day and they don't care that much about the "fancy stuff", especially if it will cost them more. That could be one of the reasons why I never have seen weddings done here with 2/3 people working with stabilisers or cranes.

I also notice that the quality standards in the states for a weddingvideo are much higher then here, I really like Patricks work and when I started in this business 3 years ago most of my inspiration I got was by just by watching all those demos I found on the internet. Most of the Belgian wedding videographers who advertise on the net produce crap when it comes to putting it together. They are, or good cameraman but don't know how to edit it, or they are good in editing but don't know how to film. I just know a few that are capable of putting it together in a good way. Maybe I'll post some of my work here soon and let you guys decide in which group I belong. :)

On the other hand it is better for me to live in Belgium right now I guess :), I wouldn't have any problems comparing my work against any Belgian or Dutch weddingvideographer but not against guys like Patrick allthough I try to keep up. ;)
Much the same in the UK Noa, have seen quite a few clips and demos and nothing I have seen, even at the top end of the market is really any good!
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #27
Still Motion

Quote:
I think Patrick was just joking. :)
Yes I was Noa, thanks for catching on to that. While we do use a light, there are a couple more tricks to the shot that make a big difference.
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #28
Still Motion

Quote:
If you work alone like me you need to be very creative to get the most out of your shots, but working with 3 cameramen including a crane, stabilisers etc gives you a lot more options. I'm just wondering how much it will eventually cost the client?
While some shoots have three of us, most only include two. Even when we have three, we are usually shooting by ourselves at different locations. I have just recently started selling the same-day edit with a third person included to handle all of the editing and not take away form the final video.

Our videos are pretty competitively priced for our market, but I do believe we are the only ones to use cranes, steadicams, 35mm adapters etc. So the quality we offer, for a somewhat comparable price, is pretty far beyond what others can do without all of those tools- which is why there is such a draw to our work.

Patrick
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Our videos are pretty competitively priced for our market
That's what I mean, it appeares that canadians are willing to take out a much bigger budget for their wedding video coverage allowing you to invest in tools to improve your final image. If I would charge the amounts you do here in Belgium I could close my business because nobody would pay that amount. With photo's it's a different story because I know photographers charging the same pakket prices you do and they get it sold.

That's is also the biggest difference compared to videographers here, we do have very good weddingphotographers producing stunning work. On the other hand we also have very good videographers who know how to film and deliver but they mostly stay out of the weddingbusiness because it's so demanding and "underpaid" to support their standards, considering the equipment they work with.

I think you also have to agree that working together with a good photographer serves as a backbone for your company, in your case the photocoverage is really amazing and I never seen anything like that with weddings. Take that away and I think you will have a much harder time getting your videos sold, especially since the standard for video is allready so high.

Since this year I have been working together with the same photographer on a few assignments and I found this to be a big advantage, because we know what to expect from eachother, we get more work done and don't have any discussions about getting in eachothers way. I just hate it when the photographer appeares to be an egoistic ***** only interested in his own shots, that's why it's such a relief if I can work together with somebody you know.

Anyways, enough said, just keep showing use these nice demo's you post here each time but be carefull not give people the wrong information about your filming secrets, before you know it everybody will be waiting for sunset and filming for hours for an effect you produce in seconds. :D
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Much the same in the UK Noa, have seen quite a few clips and demos and nothing I have seen, even at the top end of the market is really any good!
Spot on Phil!! it's what got me into videography infact, seeing how bad the competition is in the UK! (and i'm not saying i'm good, but u know what i mean)

Without naming names i CANNOT in the slightest see what all the fuss is about with a particular couple of 'award-winning' companies. Wonder what they would think if they saw Patrick's work. Probably the same as me: i'm ashamed of my work HAHA :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques