DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Tuning Sennheiser G2 Receiver into Hotel Mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/100763-tuning-sennheiser-g2-receiver-into-hotel-mic.html)

Sean Kiely August 7th, 2007 04:30 AM

Tuning Sennheiser G2 Receiver into Hotel Mic

Hi folks,

(For the record, this is my first New Thread!)

Here's a problem I've been having, I get the feeling there's a simple solution and I'm missing it - sorry if it's a daft question.

I use a Sennheiser G2 wireless setup during wedding ceremonies, and usualy ask the groom to keep his active for the speeches too. This works fine for the groom and anyone standing within two feet of him, but I'm relying on my Sennheiser K66 on cam mic to get audio for others further down the table. This audio, as you can guess, while audible, is full of boom and sounds terrible compared to the G2 lav mic.

I've tried placing a Zoom H4 on the table, and that's an improvement, but still not there.

I've tried to tune into the hotel's mic transmitter, but for some reason, even though my receiver is showing the same frequency, I just get dead air.. even when the hotel is using a sennheiser too. What am I doing wrong here, any one using the G2, maybe if you could post a step-by-step procedure I could follow?

Or is there another solution entirely?

Thank you for your time, really appreciate it!

Jon Omiatek August 7th, 2007 06:29 AM

Does the hotel have a G2 100 as well. Just because it's the same brand doesn't mean it's the same. G2 has different models. In theory, if the g2 was the same model it should work.

Sean Kiely August 7th, 2007 07:10 AM

Hi Jon,

From memory it was a Sennheiser evolution G2 500 Series mic being used in the last hotel I tried.

The hotel function co-ordinater, a very decent guy, couldn't have been more helpful, said that a couple of other videographers tune in to it regularly with no problems - which is why I'm confused that I couldn't.

Because I have only tuned into my own ew 100 G2 transmitter from the beginning and not changed any settings since then, I was wondering if maybe I am unable to tune into that mic through inexperience... maybe I'm missing some crucial step in the process.

Thanks.

Martin Mayer August 7th, 2007 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Kiely (Post 724779)
Hi Jon,

From memory it was a Sennheiser evolution G2 500 Series mic being used in the last hotel I tried.

The hotel function co-ordinater, a very decent guy, couldn't have been more helpful, said that a couple of other videographers tune in to it regularly with no problems - which is why I'm confused that I couldn't.

Because I have only tuned into my own ew 100 G2 transmitter from the beginning and not changed any settings since then, I was wondering if maybe I am unable to tune into that mic through inexperience... maybe I'm missing some crucial step in the process.

Thanks.

Hi Sean, this has worked well for me on a number of occasions. I would PM or email you about getting some help - but you've turned that off. :(

Sean Kiely August 7th, 2007 09:28 AM

Oh, sorry Martin! Just signed up to DVi and haven't quite got the feel for the forum and its inner workings.

I'll sort my email settings straight away, and please feel free to send on any info you might have... I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Gene Foran August 16th, 2007 05:21 PM

Hi Sean
I have come across the same problem in some Hotels. Dont know the solution

Jon Anderson August 16th, 2007 05:44 PM

Something I have read about but not tried is hanging a microphone a few inches off of one of the house speakers...a good last resort option, if nothing else.