Video vs. Photography clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 9th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Video vs. Photography clip

Attached is a short clip that I recently produced for a local Sacramento photographer who was presenting a NACE seminar at Wine & Roses (a popular wedding location here). I shot the wedding video, he shot the stills. After the piece was shown at the NACE meeting, a wedding coordinator grabbed an extra DVD copy out of my hand and said, "now I can finally sell video!" I think she will use the DVD as a comparison piece- showing that video captures a dimension (including emotion) of the wedding day that photos alone can not:

http://www.jensenvideo.com/movies/Wine&Roses.mov

Please be patient as this clip was has a fairly large screen size :)

Enjoy,

Mike Jensen
Jensen Wedding Films
www.jensenvideo.com
Sacramento, CA

Last edited by Mike Jensen; August 10th, 2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: more thoughts
Mike Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Major Player

What video cameras do you use? Demo was excellent.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #3
Still Motion

I've always enjoyed the integration of the two and I think it can really take the piece to another level when done right.

I liked what you did with this clip, but I did find some of the effects seemed a little forced. Having the video playing in the background with a photo in the middle seemed a little messy, but maybe thats just me. I find that slightly faster songs seem to help with the video to photo transitions as well.

I noticed one tight shot of the photographers hand that was one in black and white and it looked like some sort of black artifacting on his fingers- very odd.

Thanks for sharing.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Video vs. Photography

Jon,
Thanks Jon. The camera used was Sony PD-170 pre-wedding, some JVC DV500, and a Z1 on a Flyer rig.

Patrick,
Perhaps we just differ in taste. One of my favorite aspects of this piece is the positioning of video behind the stills. This was also one of the simplest edits I've done this year- 99% simple cuts and dissolves - gentle pans and scans, so I'd be interested to know what effects seem 'forced.' The only real 'effects' I can think of were the 'rays' filter, a color shift and a few simple cam flashes to intro the photos. I believe the odd photographer 'burn in' you mentioned was an artifact added by Compressor when I raised the brightness levels a bit. Maybe I've just invented a new effect :)

Thanks for your comments.

-Mike

Last edited by Mike Jensen; August 9th, 2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling again
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mike, where did the aerial shot come from? Not sure if it was intentional but the blur effect made it look like a miniature.

P.S. Love Diana Krall too.
Adam Hoggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Beautiful photography, and sensitive, well-composed video. I like the editing very much. Really nice piece!
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Aerial Shot

Adam,

I taped the aerial shot myself a few months ago from a helicopter. I go up about once a year and can get several wedding location exteriors on each flight. That's interesting that you think that the shot looks like a miniature- you're right:) I blurred the edges intentionally to de-emphasize the ugly industrial buildings on the lower right and the housing development near the top of the frame. Here is an older post I submitted about heli work:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...083#post706083

-Mike

Last edited by Mike Jensen; August 9th, 2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: spelling as usual
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks! I know a few pilots. I may see if I can go up and get some footage. That's a great idea. Thanks!
Adam Hoggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #9
Trustee

Terrific! A lot of wedding videos I've seen focus too much on technical aspects rather than emotion and expression, which is most important. You focused on both, which is a real winner! Great job!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #10
Major Player

Mike:
I liked it. I liked the camera shutter. Did you record that and use it or find it elsewhere? Good idea about the aerial work.
John
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Very nice! Had the look and flow of a PRO all the way. Great work Mike.
Thomas Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Sound Effects - camera shutter

John,

I don't remember where I found the camera shutter used in the video clip, but there are several free audio effects sites on the internet. Here are a few examples of effects I found on a very cool collaberative audio effects web site we really like called freesoundproject (http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/index.php)

8mm film:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samples...e.php?id=13687

35mm camera:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samples...e.php?id=16071

Be sure you pay attention to the copyright restriction that may come with this material. You might also consider contributing to the project by uploading a few effects yourself...

Mike
Old August 11th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Very nice. Did you reach in my bag and grabbed my FX3 or did you soften some of the shots ins post? :)
Alex Amira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Softening Filter

Alex,
I often use the Sapphire "glow" filter from thier 'lighting' set, although it is a bit render intensive. This is an expensive filter set, but the quality is great. I used the rays filter from this set in the dress shot. I also use the Silk Stocking filter (Eureka Vol#4).

-Mike
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Wow, that is one heck of a production. I truly like the "look" of what you did, amazingly like one of those luxury good commercials. The half speed theme is just icing on the cake.

Thanks for sharing
Hermawan Tjioe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques