DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding 3: South of France, stunning location (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/101110-wedding-3-south-france-stunning-location.html)

Phil Bloom August 11th, 2007 02:07 PM

Wedding 3: South of France, stunning location

This is my third attempt at making a Wedding film. It was made for friends of a friend in the South of France in the most stunning location. A cameraman's dream.

The bulk was shot using the XDCAM HD in 1080p, secondary stuff on the little Canon HV20 again in 1080p mode coupled with a Steadicam Merlin and wides in the wedding and speeches on a Sony A1 in 1080i de-interlaced in post. All graded using Magic Bullett and Nattress.

The only clip available is a rough cut of the first ten minutes of film. It introduces the main and supporting players. In the finished film it will lead directly up to the ceremony.

My style, coming from docos, is to have interviews and to get to know the people. It makes it feel more personal and less like wallpaper. But obviously not everyone wants that for their film...but it's my style!

It's a rough cut, some of the edits need tidying up, the grading and vignettes need tweaking and some of the grabs need trimming but otherwise it has the right vibe for what me...

Have a look...would love you to see it in full HD, especially the timelapse clouds shot, quite possibly the most stunning thing I have ever captured on camera.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=somelikeitshotweddin

Will post the rest of the film as and when I finish it. Am off on holiday tomorrow so looking forward to taking some much deserved time off.

This is the same couple that I shot the pre wedding film for.

it is being processed by youtube as I type so should be available very soon

Richard Wakefield August 11th, 2007 04:49 PM

hiya Phil,

i hope you show this off on the UK forum too, it'd be good timing :)

it's obviously very different to so many other clips out there, and really proves your documentary capture/editing skills. it's obvious from the few clips you've posted that you're offering a consistent, pro style, and i think it'll grabbed up by the higher-paying customers..result!

and as for the rolling clouds shot?...rubbish, naff, lame....of course i'm joking, it's superb, really very nice!

Phil Bloom August 11th, 2007 05:01 PM

Cheers Richard,

you mean the dvdoctor site?

Ian G. Thompson August 11th, 2007 08:38 PM

Wow Phil....this is wonderfully done. I like your style...it is a very different approach at wedding films. I love the colors in this vid. From what little you have shown us I'm sure the recipients will be very pleased with the end results. I would love to see an HD version of this. Good job.

Peter Jefferson August 12th, 2007 12:10 AM

now THIS is what i call a wedding documentary.... Those who believe they produce "doco style" wedding videos, should seriously take a look at the structure and pace of this piece.
THIS IS A WEDDING DOCUMENTARY.. many would be doing themzelves a favour to see this, as it carries the actual feel and humanity of the STORY.

Phil, this is incredible work. Many people can learn from this.

Noa Put August 12th, 2007 12:27 AM

"My style, coming from docos, is to have interviews and to get to know the people. It makes it feel more personal and less like wallpaper. But obviously not everyone wants that for their film...but it's my style!"

I spend a lot of attention on the visual aspect of a weddingfilm but far too less on the personal aspect as you do, seeying how you do this really makes me want to try it too though I think it's important finding a couple and guests that can act natural in front of a camera. When doing the interviews, are you asking the questions or do you have an assistant for that?

"Have a look...would love you to see it in full HD, especially the timelapse clouds shot, quite possibly the most stunning thing I have ever captured on camera."

If you ever consider selling copies of that wedding let me know, I really would like to see the full version. I'm allready a big fan of your work. :)

Randy Stewart August 12th, 2007 12:29 AM

Double WOW from here! The rolling clouds shots were magical. Superb opening (neat boat pushing text off) and score timing also. Loved it.
Randy

Phil Bloom August 12th, 2007 03:52 PM

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it. Really wanted to put my experience to use doing these.

Noa, email me your address and when i am back from Spain at the weekend i will mail you the first two or if you wait another week can send you this one to.

Josh Green August 12th, 2007 10:21 PM

Awesome

Man oh Man! I love the color and look of your shots! I'm a big fan. Great job!

Phil Bloom August 13th, 2007 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 727541)
"My style, coming from docos, is to have interviews and to get to know the people. It makes it feel more personal and less like wallpaper. But obviously not everyone wants that for their film...but it's my style!"

I spend a lot of attention on the visual aspect of a weddingfilm but far too less on the personal aspect as you do, seeying how you do this really makes me want to try it too though I think it's important finding a couple and guests that can act natural in front of a camera. When doing the interviews, are you asking the questions or do you have an assistant for that?

"Have a look...would love you to see it in full HD, especially the timelapse clouds shot, quite possibly the most stunning thing I have ever captured on camera."

If you ever consider selling copies of that wedding let me know, I really would like to see the full version. I'm allready a big fan of your work. :)

On this one, Ruth my presenter friend asked my questions for me. so I could concentrate on framing etc. If she wasnīt there I think I would ask them to look into camera. Especially with the XDCAM HD and my obsession with shallow DOF focus is crucial so you need to be looking in the viewfinder the whole time. I will post you the France one when it is done Noa.

Interesting the link was posted on another site and one senior member hated the opening line "I was sat there on holiday in Turkey" complaining that it was grammatically incorrect and coloured the whole film for him. He said I should edit out her incorrect grammar! Am pretty sure he hasnīt made many docs himself it he is serious, it also is how she speaks and therefore part of her!

Noa Put August 13th, 2007 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 728001)
Noa, email me your address

I just send you a mail. Thanks a lot for this!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 728001)
Interesting the link was posted on another site and one senior member hated the opening line "I was sat there on holiday in Turkey" complaining that it was grammatically incorrect and coloured the whole film for him.

I don't see anything wrong with it, she talks like that you and your documentary style of working requires you show her as she is.

Phil Bloom August 15th, 2007 09:34 AM

anytime Noa

Jason Robinson August 16th, 2007 02:55 PM

The Colors!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Green (Post 727947)
Man oh Man! I love the color and look of your shots! I'm a big fan. Great job!

As others have said, amazing job on the color grading. Very vibrant. I wonder how much of the colors popping out is due to work in post, or just plain good cameras and lighting?

Jason

John Moon August 16th, 2007 03:45 PM

Great work. Kept me interested all the way through. Agree...good pace.
John

Phil Bloom August 16th, 2007 03:54 PM

Cheers Jason,

Well there has been quite some work on the grading...but the main camera is the xdcam hd f350 shooting in vbr 35mbs 1080p 25. The camera also has lots of tweaks with gamma, blacks etc...the pics looked great when i initially transferred them to the mac but the grading has really enhanced them no end.

Obviously there are lots of vignettes used, both magic bullet ones and nattress ones. Some of them are too heavy and will be tweaked at the end, espcially if there is any movement it really shows.

Also lots of the beauty shots were done using a matte box and various 5x5 and 4x4 nd and coloured grads. All the interviews were clean as was the actuality.

Its a shame you can see them on the actual hd monitor instead of you tube. They look so lush. The camera is just superb. If you look at the steadicam stuff starting with the strings near the end, that was shot on the tiny canon hv20 and graded to match.

Thanks again,

Phil