DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   External Hard Drive Problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/101188-external-hard-drive-problem.html)

Sean Johnson August 12th, 2007 05:36 PM

External Hard Drive Problem

I just upgraded my storage capacity by getting a 500GB external hard drive. I got it all set up and ready to capture. I changed the scratch disk setting to save the videos to the drive. It says there's 400GB+ of room for capture, yet after about 9 minutes of capturing it stops and says there isn't enough disk space for caputre. I use FCP to edit and I have the feeling I'm missing a vital setting change. Does anyone know what might be the problem? I'd really appreciate the help.

thanks,
Sean

Ben Winter August 12th, 2007 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Johnson (Post 727828)
I just upgraded my storage capacity by getting a 500GB external hard drive. I got it all set up and ready to capture. I changed the scratch disk setting to save the videos to the drive. It says there's 400GB+ of room for capture, yet after about 9 minutes of capturing it stops and says there isn't enough disk space for caputre. I use FCP to edit and I have the feeling I'm missing a vital setting change. Does anyone know what might be the problem? I'd really appreciate the help.

thanks,
Sean

Aren't scratch disk and capture disk two different settings?

Sean Johnson August 12th, 2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Winter (Post 727831)
Aren't scratch disk and capture disk two different settings?

i honestly don't know the difference. i use the scratch disk to capture my footage. capturing has always been straight forward for me when editing. i haven't had to adjust the settings in a long time. not since i was in college.

Adam Hoggatt August 12th, 2007 06:22 PM

I don't use FCP but the scratch disk generally means capture disk. In PP you can set different disks for video, audio, preview renders etc.

Sean Johnson August 12th, 2007 08:44 PM

i think the problem is the actual hard drive. there may be a format issue or i didn't install it correctly. i followed the install directions and i was prompted to restart my computer. every indication was that it installed ok. i tried to move a 10GB file to the hard drive and it gave me an error message about 6GB into the transfer. i have a few small video files already stored on the drive. i don't understand what the problem is.

Jason Bowers August 12th, 2007 09:02 PM

Perhaps the hd is set to fat32 files which won't load larger than 6gb files. Try NTSF and you should have no problems.

Sean Johnson August 12th, 2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Bowers (Post 727912)
Perhaps the hd is set to fat32 files which won't load larger than 6gb files. Try NTSF and you should have no problems.

you're right! thanks for the help Jason.

Josh Green August 12th, 2007 10:11 PM

has to be formated for mac

No, don't use NTSF with a mac, use disk utility and format it using Mac OS Extended(Journaled) and your problem will be fixed.

Sean Johnson August 12th, 2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Green (Post 727939)
No, don't use NTSF with a mac, use disk utility and format it using Mac OS Extended(Journaled) and your problem will be fixed.

i didn't, he guided me in the right direction though.

Richard Wakefield August 13th, 2007 06:56 AM

funnily enough i would have answered this straight away if i had seen it earlier..

my last two 500gb externals (diff.makes) BOTH said the same message and BOTH needed formatting before accepting large video files (even though they arrived pre-formatted!)