DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Slow Motion... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/101258-slow-motion.html)

Zach Stewart August 13th, 2007 03:22 PM

Slow Motion...

How are most of you doing slow motion shots. I typically shoot thinking that I am going to use certain shots for slow motion scenes but yet I still have alot of interlacing/jagged line look to the footage when i slow it down. Maybe I am shooting the scene too quickly with camera movements and trying to slow it down too much....is there any trick to shooting good quality slowmo? (shutter speeds, fps, etc...)

Vito DeFilippo August 13th, 2007 08:51 PM

Until we are all shooting 60p, or using cameras with the ability to overcrank, I think most people would agree that you'll get the best slow motion shooting regular 60i (30fps interlaced). The worst is probably with 24p.

A higher shutter speed will give you a different look, but not necessarily better slowmo from the point of view of smooth motion.

Probably the biggest factor is the software you are using to slow it down. You don't tell us what NLE you are using...

You might try using slowmo percentage that makes it easy for your NLE to divide the frames. For example 15fps, or 10fps. If your program allows field blending or interpolation, that will usually look better than field duplication.

Zach Stewart August 13th, 2007 09:39 PM

I am using Premiere Pro 2.0 currently and shooting with a Sony FX1 @ 60i. Things tend to get "jittery" if i try to slow it down too much and it if i apply frame blend it becomes too soft at times. Does After Effects control slowmotion better than your typical NLE?

Vito DeFilippo August 13th, 2007 09:56 PM

How much is too much? I find about 25% about the limit for smooth motion. After that, you will start to really see the individual frames stagger by.

I've heard that After Effects renders slow motion well, but I've never tried it. Too cumbersome to export, import, apply effect, render, export, import, etc. Then if you aren't happy and want to adjust, you have to do it all over again. Though you should have a better work flow with the Premiere After Effects integration.

I'm using Avid Xpress Pro, which does a great job. I can't remember if I liked the result from Premiere Pro, cause it's been a long time since I used it...

Zach Stewart August 13th, 2007 10:16 PM

Good Piont!!! I'll try it at work tomorrow with the same footage...i use Avid MC at work and didn't even think of that. Thanks.

Vito DeFilippo August 13th, 2007 10:20 PM

No worries.

Use the timewarp effects, not the traditional motion effect. Looks much better, I think.

Richard Wakefield August 14th, 2007 05:19 AM

another option is to upgrade to PPro CS3 for the new + advanced time-remapping function

Curt Wrigley August 15th, 2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield (Post 728658)
another option is to upgrade to PPro CS3 for the new + advanced time-remapping function

Yes. The slo mo quality in PPRO2 was bad. It is significantly better in PPRO CS3.

Curt

Zach Stewart August 15th, 2007 01:57 PM

WOW!!! Curt Wrigley....you are the sole reason I even started editing. A big thanks for all the online tutorials. If it hadn't been for those basic tutorials I would have given up 4-5 years ago when I first started with Premiere. Thanks a ton for all your help throughout the years.

Brent Goodale August 15th, 2007 02:14 PM

I played with After Efx and compared slow motion test in FCP. After efx looks about 30 % better with their frame bending.

Curt Wrigley August 15th, 2007 03:01 PM

Well; thank you Zach!

The best way to thank me is to help someone else; unconditionally.

Curt

Vito DeFilippo August 15th, 2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Stewart (Post 729499)
WOW!!! Curt Wrigley

Gotta say, Curt (to continue this thread hijack), I was happy to see your name, too. It reminded me of the pleasant times I've had checking out your site and the great tutorials. Another thanks from me!

K.C. Luke August 16th, 2007 05:55 AM

Pro CS3 for the new + advanced time-remapping function

"Yes" you all should try it out it work good :)

Matt Headley September 4th, 2007 10:14 PM

I've had good luck doing this:

I have ppro 1.5 and Canopus let's edit 2 (a between consumer and prosumer editing program).

I make a new clip at 100 percent with no filters used in premiere.

I import it in let's edit, throw the clip on the timeline, right mouse click and choose dme I think it is. Usually 50 and 25 percent slow motion end up looking good. If the clip is a pan of a camera, clip could be better or worse in different speeds. Results may vary because of various lighting conditions, etc.

Video filter motion blur 10 for 50 percent speed, and 30 for 25 percent speed.

Make avi from new clip

Import back into premiere

In premiere, right mouse click clip and choose frame options and flicker removal (sometimes not necessary.)

It's crazy, but it works, and it's not all that slow once you get used to it. You can usually leave both programs running at the same time. Plus Let's Edit starts up, imports and exports very quickly.

Until I build my next editing system and buy the PPro 3 suite, this workaround will have to suffice!

Ryan Szulczewski September 13th, 2007 01:29 PM

I have used After Effects time remapping, time stretching and I have also used FCPs time remapping and Speed function. Neither one of them hold a candle to Twixtor ( http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/ ) If you really want slow motion and can't overcrank the camera I would recommend Twixtor (not that my recommendation really means anything)