Save the Date video to share... a fantastic add-on! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 17th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Save the Date video to share... a fantastic add-on!

I haven't shared here recently and thought I'd share a recent video we just did.

It's a great add-on because it's short and romantic so it's really easy to share the clip to potential brides (and vendors!) because you are only asking them for literally two minutes of their time.

Short clips like this are fun to edit and more easily done and is a great break from the short-form videos we do, which require much more concentration and continuity in story-telling.

I have also used the Save the Date Video concept as a great way of networking with photographers as well. They love the work, it helps to differentiate them by offering their clients something different, gives them something to show their clients that they've actually worked with me on, and spreads my work as well ;)

Also, it is a great source of revenue if a client decides to purchase DVDs to send out to their guests as a Save the Date DVD.

Just thought I'd share some ideas of how to use this concept to increase your branding as well as revenue.

So, without further ado, here's a link to the Save the Date Video. Feel free to leave a comment on the blog as well, if you please.

I would love to hear your comments and feedback as well as your suggestions on marketing this concept.

Cheers!
Peter
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Let's speed these things up

Great concept, couples love these videos. I've done two now and they've gone over better than I could have ever comprehended. I would say these types of videos need to be faster moving and more fun. Let's leave the slow mo for the weddings and make the save the date a lot more exciting and fun. I like your video, it was edited well, but man oh man was it slow paced. If the couple loved that video, try making a faster paced one and watch the reaction you get from the couple and their friends and family. Just my two cents.
Josh Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Josh,

I just checked out your website and it looks really nice. However, I couldn't find any examples of your Save the Date Videos on your site. I'd love to check them out if you wouldn't mind providing the links! ;)

I do agree that having a fast-paced video would be even more fun! The pace of the video depends a lot more on the pace of the music and I will have to pick a more upbeat song next time :)

As a side note as to the impact of a video like this, the couple originally didn't "need" a videographer before the shoot but after receiving this video, the couple and both their parents are seriously considering including it into their budget. This is just another way of opening up avenues and exposure for people to see the impact and value of videography.
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I love the idea behind this, and your editing and shots were all done well. However, I would have to agree that a faster-paced video would probably work better for a video with this purpose. In fact, I think incorporating some audio from the B&G would work very well. I also think the video could be about half as long and still serve the purpose very well.

Don't take any of this the wrong way. I think the video you edited was great. I just want to incorporate this idea myself, and I'm kind of thinking out loud on how I would improve the concept.
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chung View Post
As a side note as to the impact of a video like this, the couple originally didn't "need" a videographer before the shoot but after receiving this video, the couple and both their parents are seriously considering including it into their budget. This is just another way of opening up avenues and exposure for people to see the impact and value of videography.
Brilliant!
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Major Player

No offense taken, Travis.

It was the first time doing something like this and it's bound to have its imperfections ;) Part of me posting this was to generate ideas for others as well as for myself and to get some CC to help me improve with each video.

Thanks for thinking out loud with me.

I like how others are incorporating Love Stories into their Save the Date Videos where they have mini-interviews with the couple. That would definitely add another dimension to the attractiveness of this product.

I'm shooting another one this coming Tuesday and will be putting these suggestions to use!

Here's to progression and aiming for improvement!
Peter
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Make sure you post the result!
Old August 17th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Green View Post
Great concept, couples love these videos. I've done two now and they've gone over better than I could have ever comprehended. I would say these types of videos need to be faster moving and more fun. Let's leave the slow mo for the weddings and make the save the date a lot more exciting and fun. I like your video, it was edited well, but man oh man was it slow paced. If the couple loved that video, try making a faster paced one and watch the reaction you get from the couple and their friends and family. Just my two cents.
Agreed on all the points above. The clip was good and the bride to be was attractive which definately helps (hehe).

From the various wedding industry offering's; this clip looks like it would belong nicely in a love story between some interviews (minus the titles).
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #9
New Boot

I loved it Peter - NICE JOB!

Here's one we did recently:

http://www.dvideography.com/blog/200...save-date.html
Dave Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #10
Major Player

Dave - fantastic piece! I would puke if I had to get on the ride. Power to ya!

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chung View Post
I liked your clip and appreciate you sharing it. This little paragraph in your previous post intrigued me. They didn't need a videographer before this clip, so how did you get them to do this? Was this a freebie thing to get them interested? I'm just curious as to how you offer this. I think it would be a great marketing tool and I'd like to implement it myself. I'm just wondering how you market this yourself.
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
Dave - fantastic piece! I would puke if I had to get on the ride. Power to ya!

Art
The photographer and I almost DID puke. That was not easy. Try looking in a viewfinder as you turn sideways as that thing spins and spins and spins. UGH!
Dave Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Question...

This is something I'd like to bring to my area, as there aren't any videographers close to me doing this yet (that I know of). That being said, what does one charge for this sort of service? Do you give copies of DVDs to the B&G or put a link so they can send it to guests that way? I know that I'm probably going to get a lot of answers saying that it depends on the market, but I don't really know what the market for this since no one does the STD here. Any insight would be appreciated... and I only want to add this as an add-on to my packages, not as a separate service.

Thanks!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oveson View Post
I liked your clip and appreciate you sharing it. This little paragraph in your previous post intrigued me. They didn't need a videographer before this clip, so how did you get them to do this? Was this a freebie thing to get them interested? I'm just curious as to how you offer this. I think it would be a great marketing tool and I'd like to implement it myself. I'm just wondering how you market this yourself.
I figured this was a great marketing tool and one of the lesser time-intensive "investments" I could make. By offering this video, I was able to network with photographers that I want to be associated with AND get exposure of my work to couples who were not seriously considering videography until they realized what they would have been missing.
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #15
Trustee

Nice job Peter! Looks like u had a DOF adapter and indicam at work there :)
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques